Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Quick question on accommodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in first year uni accommodation at the minute, but next year I want to move into a flat still owned by the university itself. I was just wondering if people here have done the same, have you had to pay a holding fee on the flat over the summer before the semester starts or does the lease only start in September? I mean to ask at the accommodation office but I haven't had a chance to get down there yet.

I'm looking to perhaps spend the summer working in Edinburgh rather than back home, so I thought I'd better see what my housing opportunities are like.

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Finding a flat without summer rent is tough, but why do you want to live in uni housing? Do you mean stay in halls? Cos its time to move on and go hardcore with a landlord its so much more fun!

Bopz
  • Options
    I was originally in a university house before I moved into halls-I had a 50 week contract, so I could have stayed over the summer. The contract started in August. Don't know if thats any help, but hopefully it is.
  • Options
    Yeh I've asked around and it seems some places do include the summer and others don't.

I wanna live in uni accommodation because as far as I can tell right now, the price includes all heating, electricity and internet bills, so I won't have to worry about paying them. But if it does turn out to be a rip off then I'll go private I think.
  • Options
    retainer

Most landlords ask for a retainer over the summer period, and if they don't they sure as hell make the cash back through the remaining nine months rent (term time). whereever you live though, just remember to dress dapper, try
    http://www.designer-clothing.biz
  • Options
    Get over yourself, it's a crap site.
    Stop promoting it!
  • Options
    Most landlords ask for a retainer over the summer period, and if they don't they sure as hell make the cash back through the remaining nine months rent (term time). whereever you live though, just remember to dress dapper, try
    http://www.designer-clothing.biz

I can't believe a spammer has actually given relevant advice whilst spamming! Must be a first.

Just to clarify, can you still stay in the place with a retainer or is that just to reserve it over the summer?
  • Options
    Generally the retainer is a hefty (or not so hefty, depending where you go) fee that you pay to secure the house as yours until your move in date, so you can't live there, but not entirely sure. I'd wander to the accommodation office and ask about all the little things when you get a moment-ours didnt include bills or internet when i was in a uni house. :)
  • Options
    Yeh I've asked around and it seems some places do include the summer and others don't.

I wanna live in uni accommodation because as far as I can tell right now, the price includes all heating, electricity and internet bills, so I won't have to worry about paying them. But if it does turn out to be a rip off then I'll go private I think.

My step-sister is also at Edinburgh Uni and last year lived in a university flat and it was really awful. To be honest I'd say it was worth the marginally higher price to rent privately, heating and electricity doesn't cost you that much if you're sensible and you'll have a nicer flat 9 times out of 10.
  • Options
    Hmm I didn't know that, I kinda assumed uni flats would be at least decent in my naive way. Cheers for the advice, I'll get the others to think out private renting as well then.
  • Options
    Me and my friends are living in student village accommodation next year, it isn't university owned but it sounds like its along similar lines. The 8 of us share a flat, all have our own bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms and we share a really nice kitchen and dining area. We are going for a 39 week contract so that we don't have to pay for the summer, even working full time over the summer and with my loan I still wouldn't be able to pay to live in a flat, plus paying bills and food. But we do live in a really expensive area (Reading) and in some other places rented accommodation can be cheaper, so it is worth looking into.

But no, we don't have to pay any retainer, we just pay for the time that we are staying there.
  • Options
    It's not that much hassle paying bills!

I'm quite lucky, I'm staying in my student house for a second year and I'm not being charged over the summer.