Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Persuading kids not to start smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum told me repeatedly not to smoke when I was younger, she even said she was going to start a fund for me and if I hadn't smoked by the time I was 16(later raised to 18) then I'd get the money! And if I did, then I wouldn't get it.
And to this day, I have never ever smoked a cigarette. Weed yes, which technically has tobacco with it when smoked, but never just tobacco. She doesn't mind weed, she even rolled for me once.
Oh and I did speed a couple of times.
She failed in her plan to scare me off drugs, she focussed too hard, and now I hate cigarettes, and that's it.
So...good plan? Or not...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm...?? :chin: Obviously not, but hey at least you don't smoke! :thumb:
    it'd probably just persuade some people to hide though. And then she'd have to start a fund for everything - never cross the road when you're not at a crossing fund, don't drink fund, no handling paper without gloves on in case of fatal papercuts fund, etc.

You can't cushion people from everything.
    so sh3e gives you a big bag of money to buy a big bag of weed ...sounds good to me.
    so sh3e gives you a big bag of money to buy a big bag of weed ...sounds good to me.

:D :thumb:
    Silverberg wrote:
    My mum told me repeatedly not to smoke when I was younger, she even said she was going to start a fund for me and if I hadn't smoked by the time I was 16(later raised to 18) then I'd get the money! And if I did, then I wouldn't get it.
    And to this day, I have never ever smoked a cigarette. Weed yes, which technically has tobacco with it when smoked, but never just tobacco. She doesn't mind weed, she even rolled for me once.
    Oh and I did speed a couple of times.
    She failed in her plan to scare me off drugs, she focussed too hard, and now I hate cigarettes, and that's it.
    So...good plan? Or not...

There's something a bit sad about an 18 year old being given a "fund" by their mother for not smoking.

You not get the piss taken right out ye?
    it's just blackmail really, my mum never offered me a fund but she told me repeadetly not to start smokng but when you're 13 or 14 and all your mates do it and all trhat peer pressure stuff you try it at least once, and if you keep smoking you end up getting addicted, i'm sure thats how most people started.
    Anything that works really, it must be horrible to see your kid start smoking.

Its such a completely pointless and damaging habit.
    A lot of the time, telling kids not to do something is teh biggest incentive you can give them to do it. I was told all my life never to smoke / take drugs etc etc. And the first chance i got i did both, because i wanted to know WHY i wasnt allowed. you get ppl telling you "because its bad for you", but it never really sinks in.
    foo wrote:
    A lot of the time, telling kids not to do something is teh biggest incentive you can give them to do it. I was told all my life never to smoke / take drugs etc etc. And the first chance i got i did both, because i wanted to know WHY i wasnt allowed. you get ppl telling you "because its bad for you", but it never really sinks in.

i was just repeatidly told by my family, some who smoked and some who0 are ex smokers, that well its a pointless expensive and harmful habit, and i know ive got an addicitive personality, but i also have a relatively strong will so whenever people offer me im like nah, buti dont make a big deal about it