Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Drug warning..............

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
GBL is taking over from now-illegal GHB here in London , but the risk of overdose is enormous.

A new drug craze sweeping Britain's nightclubs is proving so dangerous that paramedics are being hired to staff recovery rooms at major venues here in London.

Like GHB, the drug brings on a state of euphoria. But it is now clear it is easy to overdose on the drug.

GBL is effectively a stronger, more concentrated version of the body-building substance GHB, also known as Liquid X - a "date rape" drug that was outlawed last year by the Home Office. Possession carries a maximum sentence of two years, while possession of GBL is legal.

"We keep the classification of all drugs under constant review. GBL is very new and it is one of many we are looking at," a Home Office spokesman said.

The use of GBL is also causing concern in the gay community. The Gay Times has warned of the dangers of GBL and is campaigning to keep it and GHB out of clubs. According to the paper, one well-known gay event called Trade was barred from its normal London venue, Turnmills, earlier this year owing to the increasing incidence of GBL and GHB abuse. "If you have two or three ambulances coming to your venue every night you don't get your licence when it comes up for renewal," said Liam O'Hare, a manager of a central London club, The End, and a leading figure in the clubbing circuit's campaign to combat drugs.

Last time I tried it I ended up in hospital

"John" almost died after overdosing on GBL. He stopped breathing and his heart rate slowed to 40 beats per minute after taking just one millilitre too much.

John, aged 23, said: "I tried GBL two or three times, but the last time I ended up in hospital. My breathing was slowing and my wife called an ambulance. I was taken to hospital because my heart rate was down to 40 beats per minute [about half the normal resting rate].

"I felt very rough the next day and haven't touched it since. The overdose potential with GBL is monstrous. The dosage curve is exceedingly steep. One millilitre is generally all you need, but one-and-a-half millilitres or two and you pass out."

"If it's used in a club it comes diluted in a bottle of water," he said, "You shake it and drink it from a shot glass. It's cheap and it's legal and the effects are like being drunk."

John turned to GBL after its derivative GHB was made illegal last year. Friends told him GBL was a legal alternative.

He used to buy GHB in powder form from a chemist in South Africa over the internet. He would dissolve it in water and take it at home to help with his insomnia. He described the drug as a "relaxant" that releases dopamine in the brain. Because it is also naturally produced by the body it is very "gentle", he says, with no adverse after-effects.

He said: "The effect of GHB is a bit like a cross between alcohol and cannabis. It relaxes you and relieves stress.

"As it sedates you it is not an ideal club drug. Some people do it in clubs though, because it's like a long, better drunkenness.

"I did enjoy it. There was no hangover. It dissolves in the body into carbon dioxide and water, so it is not toxic.

"The difference between GBL and GHB is like the difference between hooch and malt whisky. GBL is a lot rougher."

Possible coma in a bottle.........

GBL - gamma butyrolactone - is a colourless, odourless, virtually tasteless liquid. Once ingested, it causes a euphoric, hallucinogenic state as well as drowsiness. When mixed with alcohol or taken in too large a dose its depressant effect is enhanced. This can lead to respiratory problems, unconsciousness, even coma. GBL can become addictive with sustained use. It has been singled out by the US National Drug Intelligence Centre as a contributor to car accidents, sexual assaults and deaths. GBL is available legally as an industrial solvent.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this report is rather dated now don't you think?
    especialy to be reported as a WARNING!
    Bongbudda near died on an overdose from GBL if i've not mistaken, sounds a horrible drug.
    so this information isnt usefull then?what the hell are you trying to say?
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    so this information isnt usefull then?what the hell are you trying to say?
    i'm trying to say ...it's a bit late shouting fire!
    nice cut & paste john, with very little useful info
    try this http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ghb/gbl_info1.shtml
    I know that story, its mostly fabrication.

Yes GBL has a high risk of OD, though to say it is sweeping through club land is a lie.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think it is good that we should have an awareness of GBH and GBL in case anyone should come across it, but the article is a bit sensationalised (and old...). The site has a page on GBH here if you are interested.
    >>>I think it is good that we should have an awareness of GBH and GBL in case anyone should come across it,<<< ~

Thank you Jade, that was the point of the post.

>>>but the article is a bit sensationalised (and old...).<<< ~

Well, i did send an additional post to your good self, and i did state in it that the info was old, sorry, my very humblist appologies to ya all, :) Jade, i cant agree with the sensationalist bit thougth, sorry, As you are/are not aware, most drug culture will derive from the gay scene as in the case of ectasy and poppers ( stimulants etc )

Brum; of course it was cut and paste, as i wouldn't waste my time. I haven't read none of the links yet, but as i explained in an additional post to the Moderater, i deleted information on it as a matter of moral ehthics.

Have a good week-end all, :wave:
    Jade, i cant agree with the sensationalist bit thougth, sorry, As you are/are not aware, most drug culture will derive from the gay scene as in the case of ectasy and poppers ( stimulants etc )

Brum; of course it was cut and paste, as i wouldn't waste my time. I haven't read none of the links yet, but as i explained in an additional post to the Moderater, i deleted information on it as a matter of moral ehthics.

I think your commnet about the gay scene is inaccurate and potentially offensive. As I have said before, please provide a link. I understand your reasons for editing the article, but as it was freely available in a national paper, I can't see the problem to be honest. We aren't trying to hide anything from anyone.
    And Ecstasy use didnt start in the Gay scene anyway, and neither did GHB use, both came from the US drug market.
    Hullo Mr BB

so what music scene 'promoted', and 'pushed' the drug into the maistream?

acid house derived from the gay scene, did it not?
    so what music scene 'promoted', and 'pushed' the drug into the maistream?

acid house derived from the gay scene, did it not?

Sort of, that is a simplistic look at it, though I fail to see why that effects this case in anyway.
    [John, aged 23, said: "I tried GBL two or three times, but the last time I ended up in hospital. My breathing was slowing and my wife called an ambulance. I was taken to hospital because my heart rate was down to 40 beats per minute [about half the normal resting rate].

Excuse me john how many pies did you eat before you're example took the GBL resting heartbeat of 80 beats per minute that person must be so unfit because i have a resting heartbeat of 55 beats per minute, now thats alot of beats, fair enough forty is low, but eighty is a little high don't you think for a resting heartbeat unless you are very unfit then you shouldn't be messin with drugs if your that bad
    The average resting heart rate for an adult is between 60 and 100 beats per minute, while well-conditioned athletes can achieve between 40 and 60 beats per minute. From here.
    Well given that there are several other errors in the report I wouldnt take the 40bpm figure to be hugely trustworthy.
    LadyJade wrote:
    The average resting heart rate for an adult is between 60 and 100 beats per minute, while well-conditioned athletes can achieve between 40 and 60 beats per minute. From here.
    Fair enough, still think 80 is a little high for a fit 23 year old like he said. But fair enough, i just thought that's about my age and i'm a smoker and i smoke weed very often and my resting heartbeat is about 55. it just sounded a bit much. Thanks for the info, i'll do more research into my answer next time.

Why bother c&p'ing an inaccurate sensationlist article? What's the point?

P.S.
    Please stop calling me "Brum" btw. My nick on here is Blagsta.
    Hi all, MDA got put onto the MUODA 71 list in '77'. You could easily score in Soho and up in the spritual home.... yup, good ole Camden Palace. ( "ESPECIALLY MID-EIGHTIES" )

Every one knows that George 'o' Dowd aka Boy George was big in the underground scene, and George Micheal is reported to have been within the user clique, as the circle was people with money .ie music mogals, female models etc due to the price £15-£20 and coke was still @ £75.00. Paul Okenfold was inspirational in the music scene, when it took of big time in Ibiza 87, he returned, and brought the music to the UK.

DJ's were still influenced and were playing imported american house which origianted from the NY gay scene. ( I cant remember names or labels, but thats the fact kiddies!! :thumb: )

***Jade :love: ? What did i write that was offensive to gay people? as i have a few lesbian and gay friends. As what i wrote to brum, the first club night ( Possibly?) held in the UK was at Spectrum ( Below Charing X Station )called 'The Wizard of Oz ( Which is now called Heaven ) And apart from Camden Palais, the best 'club nights' that i attended was in the Astoria ( which is now another infamous gay club ). Jade :love: , you should really swot up and learn your history my dear, your lucky i dont send you an invoice for my posts. ;)

Dont get yer knickers in a twist, have a nice relaxing week-end, john x

" Do you beleive in the freedom to dance? "
    John the hippie, have you been taking drugz ? :shocking:
    john the hippie - you really haven't got a clue have you? I'm embarrased for you. :o

No, actually, its quite funny watching you make a tit out of yourself. :D
    Hullo Brum the Plum, hows that then?

Ask any DJ worth his salt, aint you heard of Pasha, Koo, Cafe del Mar? What about the Shoom club or the Clink?

Any DJ will tell you NY House and that they were Gay producers. The first UK 'E' single was probably done by Soft Cell.

BTW; You have Acid House on your name thing, come back to me about George o' Dowd aka Boy George.
    Nash, i was doing Calis, New Yorkers, Rhubarb and Custards before you was even thought of, ;) let alone when you was running about pooping in your pants Lol. :thumb:
    Why are you so desperate to prove something on here? Its sad.
    >>>>why are you so desperate to prove....its sad<<<< ~

i'm not desperate to prove nish, as i always say, " you could be right or you could be wrong " what i object to, is people, who read things of the net and take it for gospel, and then slate off other posters, who have knowledge and experience.

so....

The DJ's said, was Frankie Knucles and Dave Morales. The NY label was called Salsoul, who as a matter of fact, had a producer who cut the first ever 12"

so....

The Dance scene, did derive from the Gay scene, as did ectasy use here in the UK.
    There you go again, wanking on like you're the only person that ever took an E or ever read Altered State. Fact is, you come across like a sad desperate fool, eager to impress everyone with how you've been there and done that, but getting it all wrong. You have no idea who I am, what I've done, my history on the party scene and the squat/protest scene. I don't feel I need to justify myself to some sad old washed up hippy though.

Get a life john.
    as the circle was people with money .ie music mogals, female models etc due to the price £15-£20 and coke was still @ £75.00. "
    mr hiipy ...you do talk some shite mate ...
    >>>There you go again, wanking on like you're the only person that ever took an E or ever read Altered State. Fact is, you come across like a sad desperate fool, eager to impress everyone with how you've been there and done that, but getting it all wrong.<<<< Does it mention Echoes?

>>> You have no idea who I am,<<< ~

Lolololol, i've absolutely no intention of either.

>>>what I've done, my history on the party scene and the squat/protest scene. I don't feel I need to justify myself to some sad old washed up hippy though<<< ~

WoW! Only througth google.
    dickhead
    What difference does how long you have been around for make to your knowledge of drugs? Enough sniping or I'll close the thread.
    None. John seems to have something to prove to himself. Why that is, we can only guess. :confused: