Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Im going travelling!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Me and a friend from work have decided were in for a year of hard saving to go away next january we've decided on staying with youth hostels (thanks to thesites information guides) buts theres afew things we were wondering.
  • are spiders really a problem in australia?
  • what are your pros and cons between america,down under and europe?
    Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
      • are spiders really a problem in australia?
      • what are your pros and cons between america,down under and europe?
      Love Oz. Spent total of about 5 weeks there when Dad lived there, and didn't see any evil spiders either.
    • Options
      i was watching the program earlier that said there was likely to be big spiders around and i cant cope with that :( but if i cant have a pint in america i can cope with bugs in ozland i suppose lol
    • Options
      but if i cant have a pint in america i can cope with bugs in ozland i suppose lol

Yeeahh..that's a negative thing about America. But the guys we have are pretty hot and most of them will be all over you with your accent. :thumb:

And what I've heard from over there, we have alot cheaper things(clothes-wise) here than in the UK. but then again, it all depends where you go in the US....
    • Options
      The good thing about Europe is that all the countries are so accessible from each other. Like you can get a train from Prague to Ljubliana or even get from the east of Romania to the southern end of Croatia in 36hours for not a lot of money either. I managed to get round 7 countries in 5 weeks without ever feeling rushed.

Sucks that you have to change currencies and languages every five minutes, but it isn't too bad.
    • Options
      as long as you're not stupid then spiders will be no more of a problem in Oz than anywhere else in the world.

It's mostly the *small* spiders that are the dangerous ones anyhow ;)

Where abouts were you thinking of going? Obviously some places will have more spiders than others. Prancing around the Sydney bars is less likely to bring you into contact with stuff than trekking it in the bush.

Though I do remember walking down one steet in Cairnes that had trees on one side of the path and street lamps on the other, and about 7 metres up there was a pratical roof of webs with fuck off great spiders in them that watched you as you walked. That was freaky.
    • Options
      Mist wrote:
      as long as you're not stupid then spiders will be no more of a problem in Oz than anywhere else in the world.

It's mostly the *small* spiders that are the dangerous ones anyhow ;)

Where abouts were you thinking of going? Obviously some places will have more spiders than others. Prancing around the Sydney bars is less likely to bring you into contact with stuff than trekking it in the bush.

Though I do remember walking down one steet in Cairnes that had trees on one side of the path and street lamps on the other, and about 7 metres up there was a pratical roof of webs with fuck off great spiders in them that watched you as you walked. That was freaky.

Cheers lol.

We were thinking if we went to oz we'd go from melbourne and work our way up towards brisbane

We have problems everywhere its just deciding which are bigger, america and its stupid laws and visas and stuff ozland and its bugs and europe and its languages lol
    • Options

And what I've heard from over there, we have alot cheaper things(clothes-wise) here than in the UK. but then again, it all depends where you go in the US....

I shopped in Manhattan, or more specifically SoHo, yet everything was still cheaper than at home.
    • Options
      Cheers lol.

We were thinking if we went to oz we'd go from melbourne and work our way up towards brisbane

We have problems everywhere its just deciding which are bigger, america and its stupid laws and visas and stuff ozland and its bugs and europe and its languages lol

Well if your travelling up to Brisbane make sure you pay a visit to Fraser Island! You can hire a four by four with groups of people from the YHA. It's really good fun and worth at least 2 or 3 days time there.

And if you want to see the barrier reef its probably worth going a bit further North up to Cairns. If you like a good drink then Oz is definately the best place.

I can almost guarantee they'll ID you EVERYWHERE in the states (even if you are female too - lol, not that im being sexist or anything!). I went recently (am 22) and they checked every time. And if you intend to hire a car that will also be a nightmare in the US. (The classic $1000 loss damage waiver, being over 21 etc...). My advice is don't drive if you go to the US. Also, make sure you have good travel insurance as healthcare in the US is expensive. Australia and New Zealand have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK so would be less of a worry.

The best advice I can give you is to go to your local library and have a look at some of the Rough Guide books. They provide lots of information on problems you may encounter and point out all the great places to go and visit.

In list form: -

US pro:
      - Great for shopping!
      - They love the English accent
      - They are not all like what you see on TV!
      - Lots of interesting bars and clubs, but only if you're over 21
      - Each state is like visiting a completely different country!
      - You can see the statue of liberty (It's smaller than one might think!)
      - A shorter plane journey than to Australia - only 7hours to east coast.
      - Food - some great restaurants to go and visit (depends on finance tho!).

US cons:
      - Healthcare - make sure you have good travel insurance
      - Hirecar problems if you are younger than 25 - also, watch out for dodgy smallprint in contracts and the $1000 loss damage waiver.
      - Not so much of a youth hostel culture as Australia, you may have to use motels instead in places like NY.
      - Crime - be careful at night! Areas like central park and manhattan can be hazardous on your own. Detroit can also be a problem area at night.
      - Food - you can end up eating alot of takeaway and junk if your not careful!

Australia pro: -
      - Great weather!
      - Incredible natural beauty
      - Very friendly people
      - Good youth hostels and culture.
      - Pubs and drinking!
      - Extreme sports (Bungee jumping, sky diving, etc).

Australia cons: -
      - 20hr flight! (I advise spending a night in Bangkok to break up the journey - you may need vaccinations if you do this though).
      - Bugs and stuff (But only a problem in the outback really).
      - Sunburn! Take lots of sun tan lotion with you.

To be honest I think you would have the best time in Australia. Most people end up in the US at some time or other anyway, so go to the place your least likely to be able to get to again!
    • Options
      if u come to california theres a few places u have to check out. irst of all theres the famous restaurant in-n-out, everyone who visits loves it- its amazing..in fact if u check out some bands websites that have toured here they dedicate a whole journal to in-n-out--its just that good!hehe
      also carneys..youll have to ask around for that cuz its something only a true los angelen would know. and laguna beach- thats where i live and its nothing too special but tourists seem to like it. gosh theres so mch more but im having a brain block...ill try to remember more if its any help!
    • Options
      Australia cons: -
      - 20hr flight! (I advise spending a night in Bangkok to break up the journey - you may need vaccinations if you do this though).
      - Bugs and stuff (But only a problem in the outback really).
      - Sunburn! Take lots of sun tan lotion with you.

To be honest I think you would have the best time in Australia. Most people end up in the US at some time or other anyway, so go to the place your least likely to be able to get to again!

You should be fine going to Bangkok. You would only need malaria tablets if you were going to northern Thailand, or Hep A, maybe Hep b if you are going to eat locally prepared food outside of the tourist area. To be honest though if you were going to go through Thailand then I think that you would be missing out on the country if you only visited Bangkok, you would see little of what the country has to offer.
    • Options
      thankyou :)

As much as id LOVE australia more than life itself my friends have as since convinced me into travelling across europe, so now ill take information on that :)

Is it really possible to travel europe via the train system?
    • Options
      littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Is it really possible to travel europe via the train system?

Yes. You can inter-rail. What you do is you buy one train ticket that you can use on lots of train journey for a certain period of time.

My friends went inter-railing for a month and managed to go all over Europe. Not sure how much they cost. Probably best to go to a travel agents to find out.
    • Options
      Probably best to go to a travel agents to find out.

yarrr. Go to one of those studenty travel places they will sort you out.
    • Options
      ive looked into the eurail pass, which is 300 quid for a month 15 days travel.
      But if i was american id get it for 300quid 15 days travel over 2 months
      which sucks because im not american :|
    • Options
      ive looked into the eurail pass, which is 300 quid for a month 15 days travel.
      But if i was american id get it for 300quid 15 days travel over 2 months
      which sucks because im not american :|

I went interrailing in the summer and got a pass for £215 for 20 odd days, so your deal sounds better. It's only really worth it if you stick to western europe where the transport costs as much as ours. In a lot of eastern countries it's much cheaper so the pass doesn't save so much. But one good thing is you can just jump on trains with it rather than queuing for ages for tickets and then haggling and gesticulating with the woman behind the window who's pissed you can't speak Hungarian.
    • Options
      When I was in South Africa, staying in a thatched cottage out in the bush I had a big spider crawl across my face as I was laying in bed.
    • Options
      To be honest I found in Australia the most annoying things were not the spiders but the fucking hand-sized roaches. Argh, horrible things.
    • Options
      here is the STA travel page on inter-rail. I haven't been able to get it to load, but they might be cheaper.
    • Options
      thankyou misty :)

edited because im retarded.
      Problem more or less solved im going to get an interrail pass for 300quid for a month fly to france travel france on busses trains ect then validate my interrail pass to travel over europe switzerland czech ect ect get to italy and then spend afew weeks travelling italy once my interrail has run out then fly to barcelona from italy hit spain for abit and fly home chirpy cheap barcelona to blackpool :)
    • Options
      Interailing is loads more fun in the summer though - in the winter its just tooo cold - I went to Greece and Turkey which was really cool and you used to be able to buy passes just for each country which was cheap for the eastern european ones - though you have to get there first I guess. mmm Greek island hopping is good as well - just fly to athens and get the boat - sooo much fun. I guess it depends on how long yoru planning on going for.
    • Options
      none of us are hot weather people though and boats :no:

Its almost definatly interrailing from denmark to italy now :)