Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling sick :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What foods do people find easier to stomach when they feel sick? The medication I'm taking is making me feel really queezy, but I can't stop taking it, or at least really don't want to unless absolutely necessary. I can up the dose of the tablets I take to counteract the side effects, but I can only do that after seeing someone at the hospital, and I can't do that for a week and a half :( And I have two more exams next week, and a bucket load of revision to do, and I feel rubbish! I know I'm feeling worse because I'm not eating much until tea time most days, but I just can't stomach much before that. So, does anyone find any foods easier to eat when feeling sick? I had a piece of toast for breakfast this morning, but really had to force it down, and for lunch I only managed a bit of yoghurt and a banana. And I need my energy to revise :crying:

Tates x

Comments

• Options
    i find milkshake helps. depends what you like, or boiled egg and soldiers
  • Options
    ribena :yes:
  • Options
    Soup or a piece of toast, works best for me.
  • Options
    Try something with ginger in it, ginger root in a hot cup of water. Not sure if it will work right away mind you. Also try a can of fizzy drink, may settle your tummy a little.
  • Options
    i eat dry, plain things. and nibble. too much at once will make you feel worse.

like felix said, ginger is great. maybe nibble on some ginger biscuits, or toast with ginger jam on.

bananas and boiled rice are also easy on your stomach.
  • Options
    What foods do people find easier to stomach when they feel sick?
    Have protein based foods :yes:
    Stay away from carbs. But add sugar in drinks for energy.
    Most of the stuff you will be throwing up, will be foods with complex carbs.
    Eat a little at a time, rather than in 1 go.
  • Options
    Milk and plain foods.

Fizzy drinks may help, but if the side effects are intolerable, seek advice. It may be better for you to stop the medication.
  • Options
    It might also be worth thinking about some supplements so you're not missing out on vital nutrients. Maybe you should discuss this with your doctor, who could tell you the best ones to take based on your diet. Try and keep your diet as balanced as possible and eat little and oftern rather than trying to force down a huge portion.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice :) I've done quite well today, just eating little bits of plain food whenever I feel like it. And I'm going to go and see my g.p tomorrow, I don't know if she'll be able to do anything to be honest, but I hope she can! I've had a cracking headache for the last two days, and I'm just fed up really! I have sooooo much still to revise, and I just feel crap. I'm managing to eat a bit more, but still feel exhausted, and just generally ill. Grrrr, why does everything have to go wrong around exams :impissed:

Tates x
  • Options
    Tates wrote:
    Grrrr, why does everything have to go wrong around exams

stress. plus exams are usually in the winter. which makes everything worse.
  • Options
    I'm with all the ginger people - it's supposed to stop you feeling sick. Also, I suck glucose sweets. Even without swallowing them some of the sugar gets absorbed through the flesh of your cheeks into the blood stream. They have glucose pastes for diabetics that work in the some way, I think.
  • Options
    Saw my g.p, and she's put me on a drug to reduce the nausea, and I also phoned the hospital, who want me to increase the drug I take which controls side effects, and come and see them as soon as exams are over. My g.p also wrote me a note explaining what's going on to the uni, so at least if I do really badly they've got some explanation. It's so frustrating, I've been trying to revise all day, and I feel like I know absolutely nothing, my mind is like mush :crying:
  • Options
    Try eating light foods.Eg soup or scrambled eggs maybe, Nothing greasy cos fat/grease will make u feel sicker.
    If u want meat, try stick to chicken as its easier to digest and less heavy feeling.
    Ginger and peppermint can often help stop nausea. try a home remedies book or something for ideas other than more medication!
    Good look with your exams!