Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

copper coil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know much bout the copper coil? have googled it and know all the official facts , just my aunt had one and said it made her smell really "strong " when she had a period, and it lasted 9days. would like one but not too keen on being stinky. i know they hurt to put in.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    that sounds fab but have had bad reactions to hormonal contraception in the past.

she was changing every hour and said the smell was really strong- this doesnt come up in a google search!! just wondered if anyone had similar experience or if it was just paranoia on her part. def think its the best option for me but dont want to smell!
  • Options
  • Options
    Seriously, when it comes to contraception, you really have to take other people's experiences with a pinch of salt, because no two bodies are the same.

When you say hormonal contraception, I presume you were on the pill, or had Depo or something similar? I'm coming off the pill for many reasons, but one of the reasons for it is that I'd prefer having hormones only in and around my uterus, rather than floating all over my body.

I had to have a long consulation before they accepted me for the Mirena (3 weeks and counting! :D) so it might be a good idea to have a long chat with someone in a family planning clinic or your doctor to discuss your options.
  • Options
    been on 3 types of pill, mini pill, and had an implanon.

def doesnt agree with me!
  • Options
    my gp thinks a copper coil is my best option too, but when i was talking to my mum about it she told me bout my aunt.
  • Options
    I've heard that the coil is one of the worst contraceptive method, can't it damage you and make you infertile?
  • Options
    only if the dr fitting it puts it in wrong, they also dont reccomend it if u arent in a monogamous relationship coz if u get an infection with one in it can travel up the fallopian tubes causing damage
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    I've heard that the coil is one of the worst contraceptive method, can't it damage you and make you infertile?

There is a risk that it can perforate the uterus as it's being put in, but the risks are minimal if performed by an experienced doctor or nurse. There's also a risk that it will expel itself from the uterus if it's rejected.

As for infertility, if there is an infection already there e.g chlamydia, it can go on to cause problems, but most clinics will screen for chlamydia before putting it in. Once the IUS is taken out, fertility returns quickly.

For me, hoping that everything works out, it will be one of the best contraceptive methods. I'll feel so much more liberated once off the pill; no more having to remember to take it every day, or worry if I've taken anti-biotics, or vomited etc. :)
  • Options
    its a shame that alot of drs consider i.u.s to be unsuitable if uve not already had a pregnancy, im sure there would be less unwanted pregnancies if this was an option of contraception. most "but im on the pill "pregnancies are down to improper use or interference from medication, or from throwing up after drinking and not realising ur not covered. at least with a coil or implanon u cant do it wrong!
  • Options
    Ive got a copper coil and I find it brilliant. I cant say its made me smell any different :confused:. I was worried before getting it that it would make my periods long and painful, but it hasnt. They do last about a day longer than they used to (5 days instead of 4, but no big deal) and not really any more painful that ive noticed. I think the newer copper coils are different to the old ones. There isnt as much copper in them as there used to be.
    I did used to have a mirena too, and that was good, but I really didnt want a hormonal one this time.
    Only thing is it does hurt a bit getting it put in. Not excruciating but its uncomfortable, and I felt a bit achey down there for a few days. Ive had it in since the summer and its been fine.
  • Options
    sorry to be gross but she said when she was on her period the stuff coming out smelt really strong . could smell it all the time she was on, even tho she changed regularly
  • Options
    Suddenly I feel relieved to be male.

Good luck ladies.
  • Options
    I think the newer copper coils are different to the old ones. There isnt as much copper in them as there used to be.

copper naturally has a tangy, blood-like smell, so if the old coils had quite a high copper content, this might have something to do with it?
  • Options
    true! sorry to be gross but just have a mental image of people running away in the street as i walk past if it happens to me! still, i suppose anything is better than abstinance which is my current method of choice!!
  • Options
    i suppose anything is better than abstinance which is my current method of choice!!

condoms? i know they get a bad press from the young'uns, but they do the job.
  • Options
    can only use the avanti ones which are expensive and not available from fpc. everything else burns me! and my boyf usually goes all floppy after 10mins or so. fun eh?
  • Options
    I've had a loop for 3 years - like everything it has its pros and cons - having it put in was very painful for me, to say the least - I was uncomfortable and crampy for days and ever since then my periods have become much more painful but I deal with it by taking period pain pills (something I didn't have to do regularly before using the coil). Yes, I've noticed my periods have become a bit more smellier, you have to change more often.

All that said and done, I still think it's the best option for me - I'm very forgetful so the pill was downright dangerous for me - plus I don't really like the idea of taking something artificial on a daily basis. I've had total peace of mind all this time. Yes, most drs prefer to install a coil if a woman has had a baby, but my gynaecologist said this was the best option for me, and I'm very pleased so far. Oh and yes, you have to be in a monogomous relationship because the coil won't prevent STD's.

Have to remove it soon, does anyone know if it hurts when it's removed? A friend of mine told me her friend fainted when she had hers removed :(
  • Options
    was told although it hurts going in it doesnt hurt coming out,everyone has different pain thresholds though dont they?
    think i'll phone brook and make my apt. does it smell less if u use tampons? my aunt used towels and until this discussion with my mum i always thought u only smelt if u didnt change often enough coz of the air hitting the fluid- hence why u need to change them regularly. sorry! just need to know
  • Options
    was told although it hurts going in it doesnt hurt coming out

That's a relief!!

Yes, people have different pain thresholds - lots of people I know only felt discomfort when having it put in, my doctor said it would cause minor pain. I use tampons during the day and pads at night when I sleep. My period has become heavier and more smelly - the yuck, fluids, themselves smell more strongly. This is gross and embarassing hehehe. Maybe it differs from person to person?
  • Options
    i guess id better be prepared for that then ,if it doesnt then its a bonus. suppose its still better than abstaining for the next four years. thanx for your help...the dont tell u that in the fact sheets!
  • Options
    It doesn't hurt so much coming out because, of course, the muscles are designed for easy exit from the uterus.

IUS hormone doses are significantly lower than those in the opill, mini-pill or implant/injection, and so might nto cause as much problem for you. Because the hormone is already where it needs to be, the dose can be very small.
  • Options
    It doesnt hurt having it taken out. I was much surprised because I was dreading it when I had my mirena out, but I didnt feel a thing.
    As I said before, the coil doesnt necessarily make your periods more smelly. I havent noticed any difference whatsoever. In fact id say that if someone noticed they had smelly periods all of a sudden, then to speak to the doctor or the FPC nurse, in case it was a sign of an infection, because the coil DOES increase the risk of infection, so thats not such a far fetched possibility in the case of your aunt.
  • Options
    thats really just what i was trying to find out, whether any other gals had noticed owt. everyone is different arent they!
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    You might find it helpful to talk to a nurse about the IUD and IUS via the fpa helpline on 0845 310 1334. They can tell you honestly and in complete confidence about all the side effects of different types of contraception and talk you through your options.

CB
  • Options
    thanks i have done that but they just give u standard leaflet type stuff. more interested in peoples personal experiences with it.
  • Options
    There's a livejournal community dedicated to IUD/IUS users. IUD Divas :)