Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uni-Leave of absence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone here taken a leave of absence from university? I've had a pretty tough year emotionally and physically, all stemming from me having rheumatoid arthritis, and my tutor mentioned taking a leave of absence as a possibility. I really wasn't sure about it, and I'm still not, but I'm really worried about how I'm going to do in my exams, and need to think about what to do if it doesn't go right.

My motivation is really low at the moment, but I don't know if having a year out would change any of that really, or if I'd still feel just the same when I got back. And it's not like I can guarentee I'll be in a better physical and emotional state next year, I could be better or worse or just the same, I just can't tell. :confused:

So yeah, any advice at all appreciated really, if you've taken a year out or know people who have, or were thinking about it and didn't....anybody really!

Thanks, Tates x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'd love to take a year out right now- I'm unprepared for my up coming exams, and getting really worried about them :( and have very low motivation.

the good thing in your case about taking a leave of absence is the fact you are garenteed your place back next year. you dont need to do any exams, you dont have to worry about re-applying, it's easy.

so if you'll be in a better physical and emotional state next year, and feel your curent state will drastically effect your results, then purhaps a leave of absence would be a good idea :yes:

no uni related stress for a whole year, so you can recover, and be in top condition to start afresh next year... :)
  • Options
    I would do it.
    Chances are that you'll be better rather than worse...

Good luck!
  • Options
    my tutors wanted me to take a year off before my third year, but i figured i had 4 months in the summer to try and get sorted, and then third year is over before you know it. i got through. just about.

but i think you're in your first year, aren't you? so the same logic might not work.

things to consider though: if you're not at uni, what will you do? i find work infinitely more stressful and tiring than uni. you could just kick back, recuperate and not work, but it doesn't suit everyone. i think i'd just get bored, feel useless and get all depressed.

the other thing to consider is that if you leave now, you might never find the motivation to go back. would this bother you?

at the end of the day, you have to consider absolutely everything. then make the decision that's best for you. not what your tutors think, not what your family/friends think. what YOU think.
  • Options
    Thanks for you replys guys. Well, I had my first exam today, which went ok, I suprised myself with how much I could cram at the last minute! Which kind of makes me think maybe I should just give this year my best shot and see what happens, just see how my results go. The ideal is that I'd just manage to get through, and get a half decent degree at the end of it, and not have to take any time out...but obviously I don't want to end up with a rubbish degree because I wasn't ready for it physically etc. Hmm, so confusing!

I know that if I do carry on the uni will do everything possible to help me, I took my exam today in a clinic type thing at one of the halls of residence, and it was really helpful, didn't have to start till I was ready, could take proper breaks etc, and got a private room, which was quite nice ;) So that's another plus point, I know I'll get as much help as they can possibly give me, I just need to make sure I work hard on top of that too!

I'm in my second year, and have a year abroad next year...which could be postponed if necessary, but it would be nice if I didn't have to! I know what you mean Kaffrin, I couldn't cope with just doing nothing, but I also know that my body seriously struggles with proper work, I just about managed over Xmas but it wasn't easy, and probably wouldn't be the best thing for me right now. And also the whole motivation thing, that was one of my big worries, that I'll lose all motivation to come back :confused:

Sorry, this has turned into a massive essay, you can tell I'm in the middle of exams! I guess the best thing for me to do is wait for these exam results, and go from there. At least then I'll know whether struggling through is gonna work, or whether I do need to have another go at it when I've sorted myself out.

Thank you! Tates x