Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student Access Inequality "Exposed"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know the government should be making schools and colles better so that people from less advantaged backgrounds can fulfill their potential

however the survey shows a minority of student of disadvantaged backgorunds go to university thus showing these 'quotas' still mainly effect lower middle class families who go to state schools
  • Options
    leel wrote:
    You were asked if there's a link between class(whatever that means in the modern society that Blagsta doesn't live in)

If class doesn't exist, why are some people living in poverty while others live in houses worth millions?
  • Options
    leel wrote:
    You were asked if there's a link between class(whatever that means in the modern society that Blagsta doesn't live in)/wealth and intelligence. Answer or be damned. To hell with ye you pervert.
    tread carefully...
  • Options
    leel wrote:
    Kermit - Blagsta's post asked whether you think there's a "link between class/wealth and intelligence" presumably because you (clearly sarcastically?)asked "It's not that people from poor backgrounds often aren't as academically gifted is it?"

:banghead:

I explained this once. Learn to read.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ambition is the cure to most low-level anti-social behaviour
    I agree with this.

But by placing a university on a pedestal, we automatically look down on careers or jobs that do not require degrees. It is the government's targets that are forcing people into university because they think they can only get a job if they have a degree to their name.

The fact is, graduate jobs are harder to get because there are too many graduates - and that is based on 30-40% of school leavers going to university!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I agree with this.

But by placing a university on a pedestal, we automatically look down on careers or jobs that do not require degrees. It is the government's targets that are forcing people into university because they think they can only get a job if they have a degree to their name.

The fact is, graduate jobs are harder to get because there are too many graduates - and that is based on 30-40% of school leavers going to university!

erm it all depends what degree and where

a kite flying one aint gona get u a great job

can only talk about myself here, ill get a Bsci chemistry with maths degree, if i do a MSC or Phd after im guranteed a job in research, if i get myself experience in finance i can go into investment banking, like maths and physics students can, or i can go into medicine - obviously all depending what youre suited for
  • Options
    im guranteed a job in research
    No you're not, but you are helpfully proving my point.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No you're not, but you are helpfully proving my point.

no you are if youre good enough for it....

my dept has a good employment record for researchers, cause my dept does does good research

of course i ddint mean GURANTEED but theres a good chance still

you gotta earn your job :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If class doesn't exist, why are some people living in poverty while others live in houses worth millions?

Cash - not class. This isn't the 19th Century. Prick.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    :banghead:

I explained this once. Learn to read.

Must have missed it. Or your arse went, one or the other...
  • Options
    well if you're doing a teaching degree or something you're garaunteed a job but my fear is that there are too many graduates in a restricted job market which will leave a gap in the skills sector, this will mean more immigration and longer unemplyoment for graduates which will cause problems, and who's fault is that, not tony "everyone go to uni" blair. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    leel wrote:
    Must have missed it.

I wouldn't expect you to be able to understand basic English.
  • Options
    leel wrote:

Cash - not class. This isn't the 19th Century. Prick.

What separated them in the 19th century exactly? Prick
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What separated them in the 19th century exactly? Prick

More than just money. Breeding, families, landed estates, blood lines....

On the issue of vocational education, the problem of retention and student asperations are just as serious there as at Uni.

I know people who work in colleges in London and the drop out and failure rates are massive.
  • Options
    Getting estates and blood lines was about money in the first place. You could buy yourself into that kind of society.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Getting estates and blood lines was about money in the first place. You could buy yourself into that kind of society.

Sort of, pre the industrial revolution it was definately not possible and even during that if you didnt come from the right family you were looked down upon. But thats not really on topic.