Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Duplicate File Finder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm running out of hard drive space but I am sure I have duplicates and sometimes even triplicates of the same song so I may as well delete them. This is where my problem arose. How do I find all the different versions of the same song? For starters they may be a different Mb size, a slightly different length, a slightly different name etc. Surely there must be a good piece of software out there that can do this job for me. Has anyone had any experience of such a program and can make any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have a linux box on your network?
    Mist wrote:
    Do you have a linux box on your network?

If not, I'd suggest maybe doing a search for all your music files, then copying the results into say excel or something and viewing it in there.
    I can do that - wow!
    M12_GTO wrote:
    I can do that - wow!

I should think so.

though looking at the search it appears that you can't actually copy stuff from the results window. So that's my great idea out the window then.
    No I can't do that! :blush: How does one do a search and copy the results into Excel?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,677 Skive's The Limit
    I'm pretty sure Windows has a program that can find duplicate files... If I remember correctly, you can find it by right clicking on your hard drive in "My computer" and clicking properties. It should be somewhere in there.
    System Mechanic can find dupes. www.iolo.com
    System Mechanic can find dupes. www.iolo.com
    brilliant prog for cleaning up.
    but ...when you ask it to find duplicates it may well find duplicates that you need ...beware.
    Thanks for your suggestions. Found over 100 duplicate mp3s - now I have space to download 100 more! :-)
    Duplicatefiledeleter is also known as duplicatefileremover. It needs administrator permissions to work, and won't run if those permissions are not provided. It's also for personal use only. This utility features a simple, wizard-like interface, which takes you through the scanning process step by step. Choosing which folder or folders to scan is a bit tedious, as it doesn't offer drag and drop abilities once you choose your folders, however, your hard work is over.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi marko46,

Welcome to TheSite boards.
    Generally, we try to avoid posting in old, inactive threads. It's normally better to start a new one.
    This thread is 9 years old, so I'm going to close it now.

JPick (mod)
This discussion has been closed.