Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

University Snobbishness...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
[rant= My mate yesterday (who's home from uni for xmas) whilst under the influence of alcohol, told me that because I decided not to go to university, our mate who is at uni, is better than me, because he's getting a degree.

I was quite outraged by this comment, but didn't argue with her because she's an opinionated cow anyway.

I really didn't think people had that snobbish mentality nowadays, but it seems I was wrong. I'm absolutely lost for words! [/rant]

Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    had pretty much the same reception once..some of the people i knew felt that cos i wasnt at uni at the time, i wasnt worth talking to.. i cant explain why this happens sumtimes lol

K x
  • Options
    I've encountered this too, because I dropped out half way through my second year. People I went to school with seem to think it is ok to look down their noses at me and pronounce 'oh, I got a first' when they see me at work etc.

I am acually doing a degree part time, but because I haven't completed one and I'm not on a graduate training programme to be an office drone they think they've got one over on me.
  • Options
    The truth of the matter is that it's still a status symbol, in much the same way as a nice house or car is. A person driving a Porsche is no better than someone driving a Vauxhall, in fact in many cases, it's entirely the opposite. But the person in the Porsche needs to believe that they're spending all that extra time, money and effort on something truly worthwhile, whilst the Vauxhall driver just gets on with life.

Ignore it. The only people better than you are the people you believe are better than you.

Christ, that was almost profound.
  • Options
    i got into uni before all of my friends because they all had to repeat a year of a levels, and i find that my friends who didnt get into uni as well as the ones who got in later, have always been off with me, as if its some sort of competition.

its a thing that people need to get over, because its pathetic when some of my friends wont talk to me because i got into uni and they didnt! I dont care so why should they?! Jelousy maybe? but i went to uni because it was the path i wanted to take and it was the right decision for me. doesnt mean to say its right for everyone, and it definatley does not make me better than someone who went to work in a shop.

oh well