Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

escapism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, i know many people on these boards take E's and are totaly fine, but my friend is seriously worrying me.

she takes an E every weekend, drinks loads, smokes tones, and is going off with every guy that will take her. she basical takes all she can to escape.

i know that the only reason she's doing this is because she feels lonely. she has tones of friends, but after cheating on her last boyfriend (also my best friend) countless times, and then breaking up with him, she has become a really very insecure person. she used to be really confident, but now she seems scared. she never talks to me about whats going on, and she constantly tells me not to worry...

she is depressed, and i know what she's going though (well at least a good idea), and i've told her where it can take you (shes seen me at my lowest, and i still don't know why she's doing this to herself?)

i've helped her all i can.....but i'm still worryed about her having bad trips. she seems to be having them more and more offten (2 a week?) i know this is damaging her. but she won't let me help her. what do i do??

Comments

• Options
    i'm not sure if it's just e's that are having this effect, it's all the drink and drugs combined, has she any interests other than music, say swimming or something stupid, tell her to get more interested in these things to take her mind off drugs, and if you can't get her to quit maybe get her to cut down a bit. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i'm not sure if it's just e's that are having this effect, it's all the drink and drugs combined, has she any interests other than music, say swimming or something stupid, tell her to get more interested in these things to take her mind off drugs, and if you can't get her to quit maybe get her to cut down a bit. :)

she's the bassist in my band, so no she really doesn't have much other intrests. i've talked to her about cutting down and she kept on at me to stop nagging and telling me to stop worrying....

:(
  • Options
    Taking drugs when you have problems is not wise, you end up with more on your plate than you started with, but she has to realise this herself.
    If she is taking pills then it is likely it is adding to her depression, some people take pills to escape reality, but what goes up must come down.
  • Options
    If she's taking drugs to escape from her daily life then she'll find out the hard way that it's not the thing to do.

The only thing you can do really is let her get on with it and let her find out herself.

:yeees:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    We all take drugs to 'escape' the daily grind - the problem is when you feel you have to escape all the time. You have to face up to your problems at some point.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    two dead ends and you still gotta choose ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    We all take drugs to 'escape' the daily grind - the problem is when you feel you have to escape all the time. You have to face up to your problems at some point.

well said.
  • Options
    Stick with her - support her as much as you can and tell her your concerns. Sometimes it'll be rejected but eventually she'll realise it's because you care.
    These links could be a helpful point of call for more info on helping her:
    Supporting a friend with depression
    Mind
    Depression alliance
    Good luck
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    Stick with her - support her as much as you can and tell her your concerns. Sometimes it'll be rejected but eventually she'll realise it's because you care.
    These links could be a helpful point of call for more info on helping her:
    Supporting a friend with depression
    Mind
    Depression alliance
    Good luck
    :)

you know i always thought she would be the one doing this, never me....:(

oh well.....
  • Options
    Its a tough one, you have to just make sure they know you'll be there, try and advise them what to do, but if you nag them they arent going to listen.
  • Options
    Re: escapism
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    ok, i know many people on these boards take E's and are totaly fine, but my friend is seriously worrying me.

she takes an E every weekend, drinks loads, smokes tones, and is going off with every guy that will take her. she basical takes all she can to escape.

i know that the only reason she's doing this is because she feels lonely. she has tones of friends, but after cheating on her last boyfriend (also my best friend) countless times, and then breaking up with him, she has become a really very insecure person. she used to be really confident, but now she seems scared. she never talks to me about whats going on, and she constantly tells me not to worry...

she is depressed, and i know what she's going though (well at least a good idea), and i've told her where it can take you (shes seen me at my lowest, and i still don't know why she's doing this to herself?)

i've helped her all i can.....but i'm still worryed about her having bad trips. she seems to be having them more and more offten (2 a week?) i know this is damaging her. but she won't let me help her. what do i do??

Probably the drugs taking their toll...if she's got a good life (socially, money-wise, etc etc) then the reason for her depression is probably the drugs...taking E's every week can make you a wreck, some people more so than others...depends on your emotional vulnerability really. Then because of the depression you continue to take E as a release...viscious circle really.

If her comedowns become worse she'll prolly cut down on pills as the after-effects outweigh the actual high.
  • Options
    Re: Re: escapism
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Probably the drugs taking their toll...if she's got a good life (socially, money-wise, etc etc) then the reason for her depression is probably the drugs...taking E's every week can make you a wreck, some people more so than others...depends on your emotional vulnerability really. Then because of the depression you continue to take E as a release...viscious circle really.

If her comedowns become worse she'll prolly cut down on pills as the after-effects outweigh the actual high.

she's been on LSD a bit too, which really scares me purely because i know that one day she'll get a really bad trip.

she smokes hash almost constantly.......

and she won't quit.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: escapism
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    she's been on LSD a bit too, which really scares me purely because i know that one day she'll get a really bad trip.

she smokes hash almost constantly.......

and she won't quit.

If she can handle LSD trips i doubt she's really badly depressed...from my experience anyway, your ability to handle trips is a reflection of your unconscious, your state of mind sort of thing...but it could change.

I do, or used to do anyway, a similar thing...I still smoke hash/grass almost every day. Used to take heavier pyschedelics but the last mushroom trip i had, wasn't pleasant. Can still smoke but it's not as pleasant as it once was for me....paranoia and really bad anxiety. Reckon I've fucked my head up bigtime on drugs, philosophised way too much when high and become a spaceman...

Your pal will probably reach the same stage if she continues...where she can't handle reality particularly well enough to fully give the drugs up, but doesn't even enjoy them like she should be doing...

I've seen real proper wrecks from this kind of lifestyle, it's a spiral no-one should go down. You don't even really see it coming 'cos you're so wrapped up with the habit, then when you do see what's happening, it's very difficult to just give up. Some people can handle it, others can't.

One thing I would also say is people who smoke every day usually lack something in their life...this often stems from very low motivation and/or self-esteem i would say...maybe why a lot of goths smoke copiously. Marilyn Manson sums it up quite well..."there's a hole in our soul which we fill with dope".
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: escapism
    Originally posted by Spliffie

One thing I would also say is people who smoke every day usually lack something in their life...this often stems from very low motivation and/or self-esteem i would say...maybe why a lot of goths smoke copiously. Marilyn Manson sums it up quite well..."there's a hole in our soul which we fill with dope".

i agree, i don't mind an odd toke, i'd rekcon i toke about 4 days a week, alot on weekends and a bit during the week, it's good to escape and get a bit of insight, but you see people sitting there just smoking constantly and it's like have you got a life or something, read a book or something, there's a fine line between enojoyment and dependence, i like to stay on the enjoyment side, you also need a good mental mind to handle drugs, being depressed will seriously fuck you up even more and no offence trinity but i reckon your mate is one of those silly wee goths, i'd just say to her "you can fuck your life up if you want but don't come running to me if your in trouble in the future" thats if all the friendly methods have been used, sometimes the scare tactic works.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I very rarely smoke puff now. I makes me think too much and bakes my head. Everyones different but I've always found that smoke fucks me up worse than class A's.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    I very rarely smoke puff now. I makes me think too much and bakes my head. Everyones different but I've always found that smoke fucks me up worse than class A's.

definately true in the long term, i used to smoke it far far more than i do now, made me a paranoid wreck, sitting on the bus on the way home thinking people are laughing at you when it's just two geezers having a joke between themselves, seriously mashes your head more than e's imo which only fucks my head up for a while the next morning, not that bad really.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: escapism
    Originally posted by turlough
    i agree, i don't mind an odd toke, i'd rekcon i toke about 4 days a week, alot on weekends and a bit during the week, it's good to escape and get a bit of insight, but you see people sitting there just smoking constantly and it's like have you got a life or something, read a book or something, there's a fine line between enojoyment and dependence, i like to stay on the enjoyment side, you also need a good mental mind to handle drugs, being depressed will seriously fuck you up even more and no offence trinity but i reckon your mate is one of those silly wee goths, i'd just say to her "you can fuck your life up if you want but don't come running to me if your in trouble in the future" thats if all the friendly methods have been used, sometimes the scare tactic works.

I'm not a goth myself but my mindset is becoming geared towards that sort of circle...through drugs really. Pyschedelics can weaken your ego badly and make you far too introspective.

The problem is smoking weed does demotivate you, if you've been smoking shitloads you build up a backlog which needs detoxification...staying off it for a while is so fucking difficult when you've lost interests and become part of a group of dope-smoking hermits.