Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The world helps

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
but how long till it forgets?

So? how long?

If you havn't played this game it's a good illustration.

Comments

• Options
    All the aid that was promised to Bam never transpired, but this is going to end up two, three times as bad, and affects more countries.

I give it two to three weeks until the shock and awe wears off.
  • Options
    the best way to solve a problem like this is not to give constant long term aid, that's a waste of money but to spend alot of money in the short term to build defences that will protect the people forever.
  • Options
    What I'd like to know is, where are our leaders???

I've been travelling and only came back yesterday so I don't know for sure, but as far as I can tell Tony Blair hasn't had much to say yet about one of the biggest natural disasters in history.

Other world leaders from the US to the EU are also nowhere to be seen. And the help promised at official level by our rich nations has been derisory...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I've been travelling and only came back yesterday so I don't know for sure, but as far as I can tell Tony Blair hasn't had much to say yet about one of the biggest natural disasters in history.

Other world leaders from the US to the EU are also nowhere to be seen. And the help promised at official level by our rich nations has been derisory...

but if it was a terrorist attack on american soil.........
  • Options

very good point aladdin ...maybe we should bombard them with emails and ask that question cos ...it has nothing at all to do with you being away ...all the big players seem to have dissapeared.
  • Options

they seem to have woken up, even the queen... (but I can't find a link)

but as MR says - sending emails / faxes might be useful
  • Options

Who cares where our leaders are?

What do you want, a few political platitudes about how they "sympathise with the suffering" etc?

And yes, in the grand scheme of world finance, £15m isn't very much. But it's not just about giving money. It's also about giving resources, resucue services, medical supplies etc and let's face it, this is really down to you and I to support. This isn't why I pay my taxes...
  • Options
    What I don't get is where does this cash come from? Don't get me wrong. I'm not being unsympathetic to the tradegy but we're always hearing about how the government doesn't have enough cash for schools, hospitals, crime fighting but manages to "find" lumps of money to help out in cases like this.
  • Options
    The shaming of our political class

WE HAVE seen possibly the world's biggest natural disaster. Thousands of people have been killed, thousands more lives have been decimated. Homes lie in ruin, people's possessions washed out to sea. It is truly a disaster on an apocolyptic scale.

So, what do our world leaders do about it? Do they rush out the aid? Do they pledge to provide the billions of pounds that will be needed to rebuild the shattered remains of so many countries? Do they at the least give out words of condolence?

Fat chance.

No, what our elite political establishment does is turn the other way. Bury their heads in the sand. Britain offers a derisory £1 million in terms of aid. This, remember, is the cost for Britain of a single day's occupation in Iraq, following that misguided war.

Is it not odd that Jack Straw, our part-time Foreign Secretary and defender of the indefensible, was out defending the government's pitifully low donation of aid in the afternoon, and yet only hours later, we hear that the donation was raised to £15m?

Make no mistake: I welcome the increase. But it is not enough. Tory leader Michael Howard has misguidedly said he welcomes the increase. Not a word of criticism for the measly amount of money that Britain is offering. So much for providing an opposition.

And where is the Prime Minister during all of this? Has he cut short his Christmas break to come back to his desk? Goodness no! Why, Tony is yet on another of his freebie holidays paid for by his cronies. There could not be a more telling sign this Prime Minister does not care for the people.

Amidst the apathy of the political elite, it is the people of Somalia, Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, The Maldives, Malaysia, Somalia and Burma who suffer. And our political leaders turn the other way. What a damning indictment of politics today.
  • Options
    Good post stargalaxy.

MoK, woke up with your cynical hat on did you? ;)

I for one was expecting our leaders to do something useful for a change, and to be at the forefront of the international response. If only they would end up devoting 1% of the time they've spend on press conferences lecturing the world about "evil", "freedom" and WMDs to offer more help for this disater's victims and ask the public to do the same...

As countless letters to the editor in various newspapers have pointed out, it is nothing short of repulsive that at the same time as he's asking Congress for an extra $87bn to fund his Iraq adventures, Bush has offered a paltry $30m to the victims of the tsunami. The British government don't fare much better, and I for one find it disgusting that it's taken 3 days for our PM to interrupt his lovely holiday and give a few words of support.
  • Options
    As countless letters to the editor in various newspapers have pointed out, it is nothing short of repulsive that at the same time as he's asking Congress for an extra $87bn to fund his Iraq adventures, Bush has offered a paltry $30m to the victims of the tsunami.
    Our political leaders sense of priorities speaks volumes. But of course compassion doesn't help leaders win elections - fear does, though.
  • Options
    MoK, woke up with your cynical hat on did you? ;)

Something like that :p

The last thing I want to see right now, is a politician calling for Govts to help. personally I think that the last thing we want is for politicians to get involved.

Leave it to the NGOs with their expertise and keep the other meddling twats out of it.
    I for one was expecting our leaders to do something useful for a change

Ah, an optimist. Do you seriously think that they can do that? Maybe I am cynical, or maybe I'm a realist but if we really want this fucked up then let Govts get involved.
    As countless letters to the editor in various newspapers have pointed out, it is nothing short of repulsive that at the same time as he's asking Congress for an extra $87bn to fund his Iraq adventures, Bush has offered a paltry $30m to the victims of the tsunami. The British government don't fare much better, and I for one find it disgusting that it's taken 3 days for our PM to interrupt his lovely holiday and give a few words of support.

Did you really want to see him? Honestly?

I'd rather he kept his mournful looks and comments about "the people's disaster" to himself. I don't need him to tell me how bad this was. I defy anyone, who has seen the footage, to not be affected emotionally.

This is a time when individuals should contribute and not leave it to our Govt to do something in our name. For once I nearly agree with something which Michael Howard said when he commented that the public should contribute more than the £15m our Govt has pledged. Personally I think we should be ashamed if we don't double it. 50p per person really isn't much, is it?

Besides, I don't pay taxes to support other nations in crisis, I pay to protect mine. If I want to contribute to another nations relief then I will - and I have.
  • Options
    UK have upped their donation to £50m
  • Options
    its 96m now

highest in the world.
  • Options
  • Options
    No it isnt, but it does give you a sense of pride that at least for once the UK is setting a good example for a change.
  • Options
    In light of the UK’s increased donation I hope other countries/organisations recognise the need to help and dig a little deeper. Considering their status as the world’s third largest economy I can’t help but feel the Germans are very stingy when it comes to helping out in disasters like this.

Still this is one of the situations where individuals can make as greater difference as governments by personally donating. I know when I get paid I’ll make a donation and I’m sure thousands, hopefully millions will do the same who can afford it.
  • Options
    £15 million appears stingy to us, but in a country like Sri Lanka where £5 can buy a couple of hundred bottles of water then £15 million will go a long way.
  • Options
    So? We should give more because we can, not less because it buys mroe.
  • Options
    Instead of smugly intimating that noone but those the mainstream media cares to highlight are contributing to the relief efforts, you could have taken a minute or two to do a simple search.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11810352%255E1702,00.html
  • Options
    LOL...

As GWST was saying, it is not a competition Luke. Would you please stop for once trying to score cheap political points against Europe?

But since you have raised the issue, I was skimming through the papers at a newstand yesterday and saw a list of countries arranged by contributions given... An EU member from the Continent was on top (though that probably changed last night as the UK government raised its aid- if only out of embarrassment).

Do you think the US government has been generous as well do you? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It speaks volumes about our political establishment that they have had to be shamed into raising the amount of money they are donating from £1million to £15million and now to £50million. Such a shameful indictment of the political class. They turn the other way - and everyone loses out as a result.
  • Options
    Do you think the US government has been generous as well do you

Yeah , theyve sent thousands of sailors and rescuers, as well as an aircraft carrier.
  • Options
    Putting it in true perspective, none of these amounts show any priority to constructive humanitarian relief or longterm infrastructural development when one considers that a single Stealth bomber bears a price tag of $2 billion.

Oh yes, we see the invective and political point scoring flying thick and fast, but who has stopped for a moment to contemplate why it is that this disaster was allowed to achieve the widespread destruction of life, let alone property, that it has when world governments (especially we rich western nations who so commonly avail ourselves of the tropical vacation spots the affected countries offer) have watched repeated catastrophes strike these regions. After decades of successive typhoons, monsoons, quakes and other natural disasters, where is the wisdom and committment by our supposedly oh so generous nations to establishing the necessary infrastructural development that would have negated the monstrous impact of this latest Tsunami?

The shrub and indeed Blair have no trouble demanding sums into the tens of billions to pursue war of aggression and destruction (under the laughably fraudulent banner of "liberation" and "democratisation" of course), but when called upon to demonstrate the capacity of their supposedly "humanitarian" ideology to embrace constructive means of engagement and improvement to the quality of life of the planet they're suddenly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

A brow raising article I came across yesterday also addresses a number of questions that have since been buried by the corporate press...

http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO412C.html
  • Options
    Bad news for the Neo Cons, when a disaster comes along of such epic proportions that it demands the involvement of an international body like the UN, just when they're hellbent on marginalising it... oh, Bush is proposing that America, India, Japan and Australia cooordinate the relief effort? Is it just me, or did politicians used to be more subtle? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If you want to go down the road of private giving, Luke, why not take Microsoft, Haliburton, and any host of mega corporations to task? Hell, MS alone could probably buy up most of these nations let alone shell out the money needed to pay for the damages.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    If you want to go down the road of private giving, Luke, why not take Microsoft, Haliburton, and any host of mega corporations to task? Hell, MS alone could probably buy up most of these nations let alone shell out the money needed to pay for the damages.

I was always led to believe Bill Gates gives billions of dollars to charity every year.

The thing about giving aid is that sometimes money isn't enough, a co-ordinated effort it worth more than the extra cash. Yes, more money means more blankets, food and water, medical supplies etc can be purchased, but if there isn't anyone to make sure help is placed where it is needed in a timely fashion then that money has gone to waste.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    its always left down to us who have nothing as it is.

You don't 'have nothing' Luke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Putting it in true perspective, none of these amounts show any priority to constructive humanitarian relief or longterm infrastructural development when one considers that a single Stealth bomber bears a price tag of $2 billion.

Oh yes, we see the invective and political point scoring flying thick and fast, but who has stopped for a moment to contemplate why it is that this disaster was allowed to achieve the widespread destruction of life, let alone property, that it has when world governments (especially we rich western nations who so commonly avail ourselves of the tropical vacation spots the affected countries offer) have watched repeated catastrophes strike these regions. After decades of successive typhoons, monsoons, quakes and other natural disasters, where is the wisdom and committment by our supposedly oh so generous nations to establishing the necessary infrastructural development that would have negated the monstrous impact of this latest Tsunami?

The shrub and indeed Blair have no trouble demanding sums into the tens of billions to pursue war of aggression and destruction (under the laughably fraudulent banner of "liberation" and "democratisation" of course), but when called upon to demonstrate the capacity of their supposedly "humanitarian" ideology to embrace constructive means of engagement and improvement to the quality of life of the planet they're suddenly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

A brow raising article I came across yesterday also addresses a number of questions that have since been buried by the corporate press...

http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO412C.html

I bow to you Sir.
  • Options
    I continue to be amazed that nearly a week after mankind experienced the worst natural disaster in modern history, our PM has just managed to give a couple of 5-minute pre-recorded statements on the issue.

If this unspeakable catastrophe doesn't merit cutting short your holidays (or at the very least pretending you give a shit and giving live regular daily TV addresses and pledging extra help personally), what does?

Incidentally, does anyone else find it bizarre that Britain is the only country in Europe that hasn't provided figures for the number of missing nationals? Everybody else has...