Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

internet problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have a 256 adsl box which i can run 2 computers off. so i've got a new computer and i can't get it to work. the computer knows that there is a connection to the net, but can't access it. it came up with a box saying local area network connected. but msn and internet explorer arn't working.

ok, so i thought i could find the CD we used for the other computer and.........i can't. :(

so any ideas about what i can do. because i need my computer to be fully connected before january the 10th because thats when i start my distance learning course.....

any ideas.........anyone???

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Set the default gateway?

Is it picking up an IP address automatically or are you giving it one?

Read the instructions.

otherwise, can you be a bit more specific about what is "not working".
  • Options
    i have constant connection on this computer.

but the other computer has the connection (and it recoginses it does) yet it can't get onto the internet and i can't sign onto msn. it keeps on saying that it's not connected to the net when it is.

the problem is the fact that it's been configered for someone else's line using usb adsl not router-which is what i've got. and i haven't got the disk for setting up the router on my new computer.
  • Options
    Are you sure your box can support two computers? Is it a router and a modem? If it's just a modem with two connections it wont work on two computers - the easiest way to get around this is plug one computer into it and plug the second computer into the first computer with a lan cable, go onto the first computer's network connections, go to the internet connection, right click it, and share the connection.

Voila.

eta: just read your new post. Go into ie, go to tools and settings or whatever, network connections I think, LAN settings, and click the box 'automatically configure my LAN connection'
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Are you sure your box can support two computers? Is it a router and a modem? If it's just a modem with two connections it wont work on two computers - the easiest way to get around this is plug one computer into it and plug the second computer into the first computer with a lan cable, go onto the first computer's network connections, go to the internet connection, right click it, and share the connection.

Voila.

eta: just read your new post. Go into ie, go to tools and settings or whatever, network connections I think, LAN settings, and click the box 'automatically configure my LAN connection'

thank you rich! *hugs* haven't spoken to you in a while? hows things?

though do i do this on the first comp with a working connection or the other?
  • Options
    Computer 1 will need two LAN cards. Plug the ADSL modem into one of the LAN cards of computer 1. Connect computer 2 to computer 1 with a crossover cable.

Go back to computer 1. Then go to start menu > connect to > show all connections (assuming that you're on XP). Right-click on the crossover connection and choose "bridge connections".
  • Options
    didn't work.....i do have 2 connections but it doesn't want to do it. so i think i'll just have to get someone else to do it for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    didn't work.....i do have 2 connections but it doesn't want to do it. so i think i'll just have to get someone else to do it for me.

okay what sort of sockets do you have on your adsl box? usb or network ones?

and what sockets do the 2 computers have? do they both have network ports?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    okay what sort of sockets do you have on your adsl box? usb or network ones?

and what sockets do the 2 computers have? do they both have network ports?

all network ports and sockets.