Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who wants to help do something to help with the quake?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It occurred to me rather then just talking about the quake in Asisa why don't we do something about it?

Perhaps setup a quick forum to allow people to post messages for those looking for lost relatives, etc? And maybe post pictures up, etc?

I saw CNN's website and they only have the most basic system going, could have a proper forum with sections dedicated to each region done in a few hours form now

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I'm sure logging onto the internet to check their emails is the first thing on their minds ;[
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    like thesite would be the first place to look for missing relatives.

He's obviously talking about setting up a seperate site .. James are you really as thick as you make out or just so obsessed with trying to appear to be smarter then everyone else like the way you keep telling people to have thought about things before they did it instead of offering real help.

Stop trying to act like you're you're clever because it you're obviously to thick to know you're not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Yeah I'm sure logging onto the internet to check their emails is the first thing on their minds ;[

Have you actually done any travel outside of scotland?

Maybe if you have done some travelling you'll know in remote parts of the world sending an email is the quickest, easiest, cheapest or sometimes only way to contact relatives abroad.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/email.appeals/index.html

There are real people out there looking for their lost ones, see the site above if you want to educate yourself instead of trying to be another smart arse, at least someone on here is considering ways to help .. what are you doing to help?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    *yawn*

he said forum. seperate.
    I presume he meant on here.

I had family caught in the caribbean hurricaines a couple of months ago and I never looked on here to post messages for my family.

Well there you go, you assumed and decided to make smart alec remarks based on what you thought ... Oh here's a good one

MAY BE you should have thought about it BEFORE you posted ... isn't that the kind of thing you go around telling everyone??? ... to think about it beforehand
  • Options
    Originally posted by JustWondering
    Have you actually done any travel outside of scotland?

Maybe if you have done some travelling you'll know in remote parts of the world sending an email is the quickest, easiest, cheapest or sometimes only way to contact relatives abroad.

K now you're trying to be the smart arse. I don't care if it's the cheapest, easiest, or whatever way to keep in contact with relatives as I wasn't saying otherwise. My point was their homes just got destroyed by a tsunami, perhaps killing their friends, relatives and neighbours - do you really think the first thing on their mind is finding a 'net cafe?

Oh what's that? It wouldn't be? STFU then :)
    There are real people out there looking for their lost ones, see the site above if you want to educate yourself instead of trying to be another smart arse, at least someone on here is considering ways to help .. what are you doing to help?

Nothing, because nothing short of booking a plane ticket, becoming a volunteer worker and living there for a couple of months and trying to help them rebuild their homes every day is actually going to help.

As for DG's idea; it is a good one, just not very practical. Even if you were going to set up a forum, you'd need to buy a domain name, webhosting, massive amounts of bandwidth, actually set up the website, put together a moderation team (with a website that large there's obviously gonna be a few jokers about), submit the site to various search engines (which takes a while to clear), advertise like hell, all of which would need to have been done yesterday.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JustWondering

MAY BE you should have thought about it BEFORE you posted ...

He did think about it. Y'know since he like, came to a conclusion.

Maybe you should have thought before challenging the greatest member this site has ever seen (me) after only having racked up 35 odd posts.

Trust me, if you keep this up you aren't going to last very long.
  • Options
    Loads of tourists are sending e-mails home. They are rushing to the nearest internet cafe so that they can do so. So he is, in a rather annoying way, absolutely correct.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    My point was their homes just got destroyed by a tsunami, perhaps killing their friends, relatives and neighbours - do you really think the first thing on their mind is finding a 'net cafe?

Oh what's that? It wouldn't be? STFU then :)

fair number of ppl have done exactly that to let relatives and friends back home know they are safe/alive.
  • Options
    Yous seem to be missing the point ;[
  • Options
    Much better if the BBC on CNN stick to doing it as people here who might be worried about relatives would be far more likely to go on one of the main news sites anyway to check out the latest.

Maybe a dediicated site to things like this would work, so when things like this or a 9/11 style attack happens, people could go there.

It'd have to have the living fuck advertised out of it though.
  • Options
    Well whatever you guys think I've setup a basic forum and peopel who have lost relatives are already starting to post and ask questions so if you want to help then then feel free to help them out and also post the URL wherever you think it mightbe useful to people

http://s6.invisionfree.com/quake

The idea of the board is to help people who have missing relatives more then anything..

I'd rather try and do something then argue about the pro's and cons..
  • Options
    I think they all meant making a forum in here.
  • Options
    it would be abused too much
  • Options
    i don't know if your efforts will make any difference diamond but ...nice one for trying mate and if it helps one person ...then all power to you mate.