Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Break-up of families costs £30bn each year

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    F***ing hell you thick ****, that was a pisstake. Have you had a sense of humour bypass or something?
    There's more chance of you suddenly falling in love with capitalism.
  • Options
    Are you on crack? You're not making any sense.
  • Options
    i'd agree marriage is a social institution, but you know what i mean when i say man and wife, so why do you have to nitpick?
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    i'd agree marriage is a social institution, but you know what i mean when i say man and wife, so why do you have to nitpick?
    In Blagsta's politically correct world, the expression would presumably be man and woman, or husband and wife.
  • Options
    I'm not nitpicking. I'm trying to get you to define your terms and to realise that it is a nonsense to talk about "natural" roles. Gender roles do not exist in some kind of Platonic realm, they are always rooted in a social context.
  • Options
    so under that reasoning, what social context would you say is the cause for women having babies and not men? get real, there is a natural role its pretty fucking obvious.
  • Options
    so under that reasoning, what social context would you say is the cause for women having babies and not men? get real, there is a natural role its pretty fucking obvious.

Yes a women is the gender which give birth to babies it however does not mean that the mother has the natural role of caring for the children.

There are plenty of examples in nature where offspring are left to fend for themselves.

In our society the woman is seen as the primary carer, it does not mean that all societies have this same view.

Marriage is a social construct designed to make sure that a persons wealth is passed on to his desicdents, it is not something natural it is something created by people.
  • Options
    Marriage is a social construct designed to make sure that a persons wealth is passed on to his desicdents, it is not something natural it is something created by people

Isn't marriage more than just about passing on your money? - anyone can do that by writing a will! Its about sharing your life with someone you love and if you want to and are able to you can bring children into the world for which you will both care for.
  • Options
    ffs you are getting off topic talking about marriage, im not debating that.........im saying blagsta's talking shit when he says sex roles are not natural, because there is quite clearly a design for life, or else humans would just procreate asexually.......im sorry but if mothers natural role wasn't to care for babies then why the fuck do they have them? explain.........and im not talking about other animals in nature im talking about humans you plank.....argh i shouldn't swear but this is frustrating because its so blindingly obvious.
  • Options

You've totally missed the point by a million billion zillion miles.
  • Options
    You've totally missed the point by a million billion zillion miles.
    I still can't see the point you were making (badly) at the start.
  • Options
    ffs you are getting off topic talking about marriage, im not debating that.........im saying blagsta's talking shit when he says sex roles are not natural, because there is quite clearly a design for life, or else humans would just procreate asexually.......im sorry but if mothers natural role wasn't to care for babies then why the fuck do they have them? explain.........and im not talking about other animals in nature im talking about humans you plank.....argh i shouldn't swear but this is frustrating because its so blindingly obvious.

Your thinking and analysis is too simplistic. I'm not on about the biological fact of childbirth. I'm on about the meanings attached to that in our society. How children are looked after, in what way, how is it paid for, what are the social and economic relations, what power structures exist, why they exist, who creates the meanings etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I still can't see the point you were making (badly) at the start.

Quelle surprise. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Quelle surprise. :rolleyes:
    Tout le change.
  • Options
    alternatively, your thinking and analysis is trying to overcomplicate the simplicity of it all.......in your opinion, why don't men have babies? in today's social context men could raise children just as easily as women, doesn't mean the social context outweighs the biological...........:banghead:
  • Options
    if you read carefully, apollo mentioned mother and wife as natural female roles, and then Blagsta disputed WIFE as being a social construction. He never said that women were not designed to carry children at all.
  • Options
    alternatively, your thinking and analysis is trying to overcomplicate the simplicity of it all.......in your opinion, why don't men have babies? in today's social context men could raise children just as easily as women, doesn't mean the social context outweighs the biological...........:banghead:

*gives up*

My thinking is obviously too subtle and complex for you. You're arguing like a 10 year old.
  • Options
    Originally posted by marv
    Yes a women is the gender which give birth to babies it however does not mean that the mother has the natural role of caring for the children.

There are plenty of examples in nature where offspring are left to fend for themselves.

a woman gives birth to a child which will need feeding ...breast feeding originaly ...and quite often for an extended period ...meaning it was the bloke who had to dig the holes get the grub do the defending and the exploring.
    human babies don't survive if left alone.
    this is one creature thats needs years and years of support ...total support in the first few YEARS.
    the feeding and bathing would bond the mother to the child to a far greater degree than the father ...plus the nine months sustaining this child in the womb ...meaning that of course the mother is the 'natural' carer for her offspring.
  • Options
    OK appollo_69, let's try just one more time.
    Lets just assume for a moment that you are correct. The media and government etc are brainwashing women into behaving like men. It then surely follows from this that gender roles are social constructs. If women can be brainwashed into taking on men's roles, these roles must be fluid and flexible, no? The media isn't brainwashing women into having sex changes is it? It's not changing people's sex at a genetic level is it? So therefore these roles must have another level where their meaning is constructed, yes? And this is what I mean when I talk about gender roles being social constructs. Of course men are men and women and women. But that doesn't mean anything. It just tells us that A = A and B = B. Which is no help at all.
    What is the social meaning of what a women's and what a man's role is? How is it constructed? Why were women denied individual rights for years? Why do you think that women are being brainwashed into taking on men's roles? If you can't even say what these roles are and how they are constructed then you don't really have an argument do you?
  • Options
    Fuckin'ell you thick cunt, that was a pisstake. Have you had a sense of humour bypass or something?

Jesus, what the fuck is the matter with you? :rolleyes:

lmfao :lol::lol:
  • Options
    im sorry but if mothers natural role wasn't to care for babies then why the fuck do they have them?

whoaaaaa be careful there matey. We aint in the 60's now and men these days do take an equal part in caring for their children. It takes two people to make babies, so I think two people should take that responsibility in looking after the child.
  • Options
    yup, i would attribute the high divorce rate, and kids being born out of wedlock down to the breakup of the nuclear family, instigated by the govt. encouraging women to abandon their natural role as mothers and wives for careers (see my thread on feminism?) and the effect this is having on our society is unmeasurable.......

Btw left a post for ya on the feminism thread.

Leach and Laing both did some interesting work on the nuclear family (will find it if I can if anyone wants to know) and the downside to it. For example how social networks can be cut off, how everything can slowly build up inside the family like air pressure in a pipe...

I personally think it's good that women are going out to work, it's good for the country's morale in my opinion that men and women can work alongside each other and form a rapport and thus understand each other better...

What's better? Segregation or merging together and understanding each other?
  • Options
    it's good for the country's morale in my opinion that men and women can work alongside each other and form a rapport and thus understand each other better...

so if you think everything is going fine and dandy then what would you say is the cause of high divorce rates, which has also coincidentally risen in the last 50 years?.........men and women are clearly not understanding each other better, if you can't see that you really are deluded....

and blagsta, i know where you're coming from because i used to think along simliar lines so to say your thinking is above me is pretty pretentious......i'm just trying to show this in a different light, i think differently so what wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same views?

and im not opposed to women being treated equally in some respects, but we are only alike in so many ways and in a way this all comes down to political correctness, something else the communists invented........
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    whoaaaaa be careful there matey. We aint in the 60's now and men these days do take an equal part in caring for their children. It takes two people to make babies, so I think two people should take that responsibility in looking after the child.
    I agree. Two parents are better than one. (not in every case of course, but in more generalised terms)
  • Options
    so if you think everything is going fine and dandy then what would you say is the cause of high divorce rates, which has also coincidentally risen in the last 50 years?.........men and women are clearly not understanding each other better, if you can't see that you really are deluded....

If you think that high divorce rates can be attributed to women in work You are the one who is deluded. You could pin ANYTHING on that. The fall in christian faith over the last 50 years, the rise in ethnic populations in the last 50 years, the change in emphasis in education and politicis in the last 50 years.
  • Options

Atomisation of society, alienation, materialism etc.
    and blagsta, i know where you're coming from because i used to think along simliar lines so to say your thinking is above me is pretty pretentious......i'm just trying to show this in a different light, i think differently so what wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same views?

I don't think you do know where I'm coming from, otherwise you wouldn't be asking such damn fool questions and posting such a load of confused nonsense.
    and im not opposed to women being treated equally in some respects, but we are only alike in so many ways and in a way this all comes down to political correctness, something else the communists invented........

What the fuck has "political correctness" got to do with communism? Do you actually know anything about anything? Or do you just string random phrases together for a laugh? :confused:
  • Options
    What the fuck has "political correctness" got to do with communism?

As you would say blagsta, i haven't got time to explain myself to idiots, go look it up.
  • Options
    here's my view, women have a natural maternal role but have adapted to suit the social context it is in, can anyone not agree with that.
  • Options
    As you would say blagsta, i haven't got time to explain myself to idiots, go look it up.

You're a fucking knob.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    here's my view, women have a natural maternal role but have adapted to suit the social context it is in, can anyone not agree with that.

What do you mean by "natural"? The whole point I'm trying to make here is that you cannot divorce anything from the social context. The term "natural" implies some kind of purity, some kind of original state, devoid of any influence from society, culture, politics etc. It's a meaningless term in this context.