Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

come on clever cloggs.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by KinkyBoots

I seem to be getting my wires crossed quite a lot tonight :(

Must be the vodka!
    me too! went to B&Q today and brought a plug socket ...went back two hours later and plonked it on the returns counter ...'the earth screw is missing' ...she opens the box ...out falls the missing screw.
    went back home ...realised i'd forgotten rawl plugs. went back ...brought rawl plugs ...got home ...left them on the counter back at B&Q ...goes back to ...it's shut ...and my car doesn't travel at the speed of light.
  • Options
    right ...lets try a different one.
    our galaxy the milky way ...is 150,000 light years across and we are basicaly on the edge of it so ...at a million miles an hour ...how far would we have got across it if we had started travelling 6,000 years ago?

one light year = 9.5 x 10^15 m

milky way = 150,000 light years across
    [1 mile =1609.34 m]
    1,000,000 miles an hour = 1.609 x 10^9 m/h
    8,765 hours in a year...

if you started traveling 6,000 years ago, that's 5.26 x 10^7 hours,
    and you would gone 8.46 x 10^16 m
    --> 8.9 lightyears.

which is 0.000059 of the distance across the galaxy.

at that speed it would take you...

1 x 10^8 years to travel across the galaxy!

(1,000,000,00 years! )

think that's right... :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois
    one light year = 9.5 x 10^15 m

milky way = 150,000 light years across
    [1 mile =1609.34 m]
    1,000,000 miles an hour = 1.609 x 10^9 m/h
    8,765 hours in a year...

if you started traveling 6,000 years ago, that's 5.26 x 10^7 hours,
    and you would gone 8.46 x 10^16 m
    --> 8.9 lightyears.

which is 0.000059 of the distance across the galaxy.

at that speed it would take you...

1 x 10^8 years to travel across the galaxy!

(1,000,000,00 years! )

think that's right... ;)
    fuck!
    the only reason i chose the figure six thousand is that it is fairly well accepted that that's how far back mans written record goes.
    so all that time at a million miles an hour the engine wouldn't even be warm yet ...all that time to have only covered 0.000059 of the distance across one little galaxy !!!!!!!
    at a million miles an hour and still 1,000,000,00 years to go!!!!!!!!
    mind boggling.
    and we are only talking about our little milkyway here ...yet people still think we can leave this planet behind when we have completeley screwed it ...and move elswhere.
    thankyou Theydon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

and we are only talking about our little milkyway here ...yet people still think we can leave this planet behind when we have completeley screwed it ...and move elswhere.
    thankyou Theydon.

You seem to be only thinking within the bounds of regular physics. Try quantum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    ok ...educate me.
    what speeds will we be able to achieve ...a million miles an hour ...ten million miles an hour?
    these speeds are not up to the job at hand.
  • Options
    ok ...educate me.
    what speeds will we be able to achieve ...a million miles an hour ...ten million miles an hour?
    these speeds are not up to the job at hand.

Theoretically anything's possible, from instantaneous wormhole travel to "warp" travel to time travel itself.
  • Options
    Theoretically anything's possible, from instantaneous wormhole travel to "warp" travel to time travel itself.
    give over man!
  • Options
    give over man!

No, really :razz:
  • Options
    No, really :razz:
    so what if your wormhole took you ten million light years in direction a ...only to find there was nowt there ...then b ..c and so on?
    from my tiny weeny bit of knowledge about these theoretical holes ...you'd be driving blind surely?
  • Options
    so what if your wormhole took you ten million light years in direction a ...only to find there was nowt there ...then b ..c and so on?
    from my tiny weeny bit of knowledge about these theoretical holes ...you'd be driving blind surely?

Well I assume once we reach the level of technology required to create wormholes, we'll also have created the technology to control where the other side of it re-intersects with normal space (the event horizon) or else we wouldn't have been able to create the first event horizon to start with.

Also, seeing as we'd have the technology to get there initially, we just use it to get back again :razz:

Deep space telescopes have been surveying other planets for years trying to find ones that meet the requirements needed to sustain life (the planet's orbit being not too close yet not too far away from the solar system's sun, if there's water on the planet etc.), so I don't think it'd be too long before we found something.
  • Options

But quatum physics is the reign of the very very small... admitadly you get quantum electron tunelling, but that's to do with energy levels more than anything.

wormholes are theoretically possible (depending on whose theories you look at :p ) Because space-time is curved- and a worm hole essentially bypasses it entirely;

think a piece of paper curved in half, that's space-time. now poke a pencil through it - that's your worm hole...

ideas of wormholes are probably intertwined with super string theory in some way or another I would imagine, if you really wana know more clicky

there has also more recently appeared what could be evidence of string theory... you cant read the whole article, but it's a taster :phere
  • Options
    so a billion chinese won't be able to travel through this worm hole to another planet then ...
  • Options
    they could if worm holes exist ;) but no one can really be sure about what kind of physics would go on inside a worm hole, or how to find or create them.

there was some talk that singularities at the centre of blackholes could be used to some degree, but this was more an extrapolation by sci-fi authors, using Hawkings theories on blackholes as inspiration. That said, Hawking recently changed his theory on blackholes...
  • Options
    wormholes are theoretically possible (depending on whose theories you look at :p ) Because space-time is curved- and a worm hole essentially bypasses it entirely;

think a piece of paper curved in half, that's space-time. now poke a pencil through it - that's your worm hole...

Why did you even bother trying to explain one of the many wormhole theories? Aside from tryign to be a smart arse, of course.
  • Options
    I thought someone might be interested... besides, I only said they are a possibility :(

I personally find these things interesting and thought I'd share that interest...
  • Options
    I thought someone might be interested... besides, I only said they are a possibility :(

I personally find these things interesting and thought I'd share that interest...
    i'm grateful thankyu.
  • Options
    i'm grateful thankyu.

well at least someone is :)