Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disaster date

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably a bit full on for my 2nd post but I hope no one minds, I have not told a single soul about this and need to get it off my chest!

I met a guy the other weekend and we sort of did a pash'n'dash with plans to go on a date during the week. Well that was last week...we organised to meet somewhere, then went and had a light meal and everything was great. Good conversation, really comfortable and lots of flirting/fireworks. Anyway we went for a walk outside but it was freezing cold so we reatreated back to the car. It was too late (at night) to go see a movie and everything was closing, yet it was sorta too early to finish the date so he asked if I want to head back to his place. I laughed and hesitated...which he picked up on and we joked about...but the overall feeling was pretty positive and I didn't feel worried about going there, so off we went.

Soooo we get there and I have a look around, we chat for a bit and watched TV sitting/laying on his bed. Anyway before you know it we're kissing and one thing led to another quite quickly. It was feeling right so he went to get a condom and while he was away I began to freak out, thinking ohmigod I'll sleep with him and then never hear from him again, you're not supposed to sleep together on the first date yadayadayada. He gets back and climbs on the bed, only to start laughing nervously and go all quiet....turns out he'd gone soft and lost his erection.

At this stage I guess we both start freaking out, I start babbling about how maybe we shouldn't have rushed things and we should slow it down, he's sort of there all quiet and then tries to get me back in the mood of doing it by touching me and we sort of eventually just end up laying there side by side, very very quiet :( Awkward conversation follows which leads to me going home after a kiss goodnight and saying stuff about the next time we see each other.

I gave him some space cos I wasn't sure of what to do and followed it up with an SMS a few days later. We send a few more messages back and forth and basically organise to go on another date but he never replies with a day/time. So I leave it a few more days, agonising over what to do and then call him and lay it on the line....to which he says he's really keen to see me and we organise a date (again he promises to call me on a certain night to organise the day/time). That was the other night and he never called :(

I know we both messed up big time on the first date but I really liked him and just wanted a second chance without the sex (or lack thereof) part. Do you think he's avoiding me because of the erection problem or because I changed my mind about sex? I'm just really down because the date was awesome until that point and I'm kicking myself for getting into that situation in the first place! We had such good chemistry and are both really attracted to one another :(

Comments

• Options
    Drop him one last text, just to get things straight. Ask him if he's actually still interested, and let him know that you are.
  • Options
    i think that he's probably very embaressed about the erection thing, and so is probably putting-off contacting you incase it happens again, although i bet he wants to see you! And he probably thinks that that is the reason why you said no to the sex, and i bet its driving him mad!
    if i were you id give him 1 last ring and just say something like; "hey. you didnt ring me to arrange a time or place, do you still want to go out?" if he says yes, try saying: "great, hows 8pm at such and such a place" You get the idea - show him you want this second date, and he'll feel more confident. And also, if things look like they'll lead to sex again, mention what happened last time and reassure him about what happened! You both had 1st time (with each other, or 1st time ever) nerves, its just that on blokes this shows itself physically!
    Good luck, and if he says he doesnt want to see you again, then remember the amaing date u had together!!
    SBG
  • Options
    Re: Disaster date
    Originally posted by mish mash
    Do you think he's avoiding me because of the erection problem or because I changed my mind about sex?
    Probably both. I can totally understand him being embarrassed about the losing an erection. If I was sleeping with someone for the first time and lost my erection, I would be incredibly embarrassed. Ask this guy if he's still interested in you. If he is, or you think he is but he's too embarrassed to say so, just tell him you're not bothered about the erection incident.

* On another note, may I say well done to this guy for having the decency to get hold of a condom rather than jump straight into bed with you.
  • Options
    Thankyou to everyone for taking the time to reply and offer advice, much appreciated.

I did call him last night and after a while said basically 'Do you want to go out again or not, either way its cool' and he was like 'Yeah yeah I'm keen, what do you wanna do?' and everytime I asked whether he was interested still he said he was, yet when I proposed a day/time he would have this awkward silence and said that he wasn't sure because of work. I don't understand why he didn't just come out and say he didn't want to see me, especially when I asked! I was really cool and casual about it, so he shouldn't have been intimidated to tell the truth, unless he really is gutless :(

I just wish I knew if it was because of the first date or because he doesn't like me that much! Why can't we travel back in time to fix these things!?
  • Options
    I think he is just really embarrased. He's probably just really nervous. Just be gentle around him.
  • Options
    There's only so much "space" a girl should take from a bloke.. If he can't be arsed to make a date after you've been ringing and texting, forget about him. Just my opinion, though.
  • Options
    Yes, but what if he's one of those shy guys? I guess that shy guys are usually more sensitive than all those macho guys, right?
  • Options
    It sounds to me like she's done enough chasing. He should get over the erection incident, -hey shit happens to us all- and arrange a date, or tell her "sorry but I dont want this to carry on"
    Totally sympathise with miss marsh. The guy is acting like a wab.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scytherchick
    There's only so much "space" a girl should take from a bloke.. If he can't be arsed to make a date after you've been ringing and texting, forget about him. Just my opinion, though.

I agree with you! I've been so understanding and casual since it happened, not pressuring him, giving him plenty of space and have done all the chasing since the date....all he's done is continue to reply to my messages/call and lead me on! If he's really that devastated about the date he should have just ignored me full stop, not tell me he wants to see me and then never come through :confused: I've done everything in my power now, the ball was left in his court and he didn't hit it back so GAME OVER :p I'm just disappointed cos of the chemistry and the fact we were so attracted to one another, but I guess we both learnt a valuable lesson. Hopefully I'll see him out sometime and we can have a chat :)
  • Options
    He loses his hard-on, which is a terrible slight to his pride and his masculinity.
    You babble on about "regretting rushing it".
    You rush off home.
    You give him lots of "space" and don't push him into being decisive.

Of COURSE he's going to be nervous about getting back in touch. With those signals I wouldn't be getting back in touch either.
  • Options
    He should get over the erection incident, -hey shit happens to us all

Your understanding of the male pysche is obviously hovering somewhere around zero then.

You obviously don't understand just how embarrassing it is to lose an hard-on, only to have it compounded by the girl running off home PDQ.
  • Options
    Well you clearly don't understand how shit miss marsh is feeling, she's been doing all in her power to make him feel that she's not bothered by what happened. So say that my knowledge is zero, whatever, you just wanted your say and you've had it. The guy was acting like a foetus and should grow up, get over it and forget about it. Do mature adults ignore phone calls and hide like kiddies when something embaressing happens during sex? If that was the case Im sure half the population would become recluses!
  • Options
    Well you clearly don't understand how shit miss marsh is feeling, she's been doing all in her power to make him feel that she's not bothered by what happened.

Clearly.

She doesn't sound like she has to me, but there you go.

The guy was acting like a foetus and should grow up, get over it and forget about it. Do mature adults ignore phone calls and hide like kiddies when something embaressing happens during sex?

Quite often they do, actually. Shame is one of the strongest emotions, as any fule kno.

Of course he should "get over it", but it's never that simple, is it?
  • Options
    It isn't...Suppose everyone reacts in different ways. It would be so frustrating for the recipient though- if it were me I'd be thinking, "its all my fault, it was my huge (insert body part) that's put him off. I guess I'll have to start buying cats and knitting scarves for them now" or something equally absurd!
  • Options
    Everyone does react in different ways, and it is a great slight against a man's masculinity to have erection troubles. Women don't really understand it, and I don't think they ever will, just like men don't understand why women feel the need to run across a store to stroke a vile sweater;)

I'd give up on the bloke though, if he's being like this. Plenty more fish in the sea, let him wallow if he wants. I don't blame him for wallowing and feeling really embarrassed, but sometimes it's just not worth the effort.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    He loses his hard-on, which is a terrible slight to his pride and his masculinity.
    You babble on about "regretting rushing it".
    You rush off home.
    You give him lots of "space" and don't push him into being decisive.

Of COURSE he's going to be nervous about getting back in touch. With those signals I wouldn't be getting back in touch either.

I think you're wrong :p I didn't mention the word 'regret' at all, I just (in my frazzled and nervous, naked state!) said to him 'maybe we shouldn't rush things' or 'lets slow it down'. Not good things to say, I know, but the situation made me react in a nervous (not thinking) way. I don't know how else to respond to a situation like this because I'm not the most experienced person (been with 2 guys, not very much at that!) and haven't read the book about 'What to do when he goes soft' obviously ;)

I didn't rush off home either, we sorta lay there for a while next to each other and chatted. It was slightly awkward, I was stroking his arm/back but he had his back to me the whole time and when he got up, I got up and got dressed, he walked me out to my car and we chatted more and kissed goodnight.

As for the post date follow up, I left it initially a couple of days longer because I didn't know what to do....it was obvious he wasn't going to be the one to initiate contact and I wanted to make sure I got it right. I thanked him for the date and mentioned I had a good time and never once again brought up what happened.

I feel I did push him into being decisive, during the phone call I asked him point blank whether he wanted to see me to which he responded 'Yeah yeah I'm keen, what do you want to do?'. I also then tried to make an arrangement for the date/time but he was the one being indecisive about the date (obviously because he lied and didn't actually want to go out)
  • Options
    It isn't...Suppose everyone reacts in different ways. It would be so frustrating for the recipient though- if it were me I'd be thinking, "its all my fault, it was my huge (insert body part) that's put him off. I guess I'll have to start buying cats and knitting scarves for them now" or something equally absurd!

I thought maybe I had been a bit of a starfish and he'd lost it from my lack of tricks :o
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by mish mash
    (obviously because he lied and didn't actually want to go out)
    Think you've hit the nail on the head. From what I've read it seems like he doesn't want to see you again, maybe he is too much of a "nice" guy to blatently tell you that he doesn't want to see you again. It can be hard sometimes telling people you don't want to go out with them, especially if you know it would hurt them (last thing a "nice" guy wants to do).
    I know its for the best if he let you know where you stand but some people can't seem to find the right words to let someone down gently, he might be hoping you get the message and leave him alone.
    Forget about him, you've let him know your interested, if he doesn't ring you then move on.