Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religion as a choice

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
People have been saying that unlike race, religion is a choice and so it's 'more ok' in some way to 'discriminate' (not exactly) based on it. But how much of a choice is it?
When a little boy grows in a family of muslim fanatics and is being told every day that women are inferior, can you imagine him telling his dad "No, that's wrong"? He won't know any differently. And when he's a grown person how likely is he to say "Hm, this christianity (or whatever) thing sounds more fair that what I've been being told every day since I was little and is everything my life has been based on, why not change religion?" ?
Similarly, a girl growing with a Christian fanatic mother who tells her that she'll burn in hell is she forgets to go to church one Sunday is very likely to grow up and become as close-minded as her mother and do the same things, isn't she?
You can make similar stories for whatever religion and even atheism. Bottom line is, most children always trust their parents and would think they can never be wrong, why would one decide to change religion when he's always been told that this is what is "right"?

No, religion doesn't always sound like much of a "choice" to me.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Religion as a choice
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    People have been saying that unlike race, religion is a choice and so it's 'more ok' in some way to 'discriminate' (not exactly) based on it. But how much of a choice is it?
    When a little boy grows in a family of muslim fanatics and is being told every day that women are inferior, can you imagine him telling his dad "No, that's wrong"? He won't know any differently. And when he's a grown person how likely is he to say "Hm, this christianity (or whatever) thing sounds more fair that what I've been being told every day since I was little and is everything my life has been based on, why not change religion?" ?
    Similarly, a girl growing with a Christian fanatic mother who tells her that she'll burn in hell is she forgets to go to church one Sunday is very likely to grow up and become as close-minded as her mother and do the same things, isn't she?
    You can make similar stories for whatever religion and even atheism. Bottom line is, most children always trust their parents and would think they can never be wrong, why would one decide to change religion when he's always been told that this is what is "right"?

No, religion doesn't always sound like much of a "choice" to me.

there is a choice, but i see it as one of three: choose the religion of your parents; choose no religion or choose a different one.

parents who hold particularly strong convictions IMO have a problem accepting anything but the first, and if you change, well, Muslims that convert to Christianity are likely to be tortured and hung/beheaded if caught
  • Options
    Hence my opposition to religious education. Not many people have the ability or willpower to renounce a religion in adulthood if they have been brainwashed since the day they were born into believing something.

Let's just teach children a history of world religions and their influence in events through human history, and let them join one from a balanced and reasoned position once they reach 18.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Hence my opposition to religious education. Not many people have the ability or willpower to renounce a religion in adulthood if they have been brainwashed since the day they were born into believing something.

What about people talking politics at home?
    It's the same thing. Fanatism and moderation exists in both religion and politics.

I for one, have been happy about my religious education. And would say that comparing to my peers who don't have the same educational baggage as me, I have an advantage.
    On the other hand, I can't imagine myself growing up in the same circumstances as my mother.
  • Options
    people have and do change religion ...all the time.
    if as a parent i decide to teach my children there is no god ...that seems fine to some of you ...if i teach them there is a god ...then thats wrong!
    if religion holds people in with such a fearfully tight grip as alladin is always suggesting ...then how come christianity is almost dead in the uk?
    good point jacq ...these people are fine with the political teaching of children.
  • Options
    Religion is a choice in the end, you can't go too far with the line that it's not peoples fault because their parents told them so, you enter some very dodgy territory..........

It applies to any belief really, but people are exposed too so many things other than their parents they have plenty of options really.

I was sent to Bible class by my Mum but have never considered being a Christian, likewise my parents vote labour but i cannot imagine voting Labour........
  • Options
  • Options
    I disagree that Christianity is almost dead in the UK... numbers are not as high as they were, but the religion itself is alive and well- though not as strong as it was in the past.

You raise a good point about teaching politics at home Jacqs... children should not be exposed to any fanatism. And to be honest I wouldn't have much of a problem if everyone stuck to the message of love, compassion and charity all the major religions advocate. But sadly countless people don't.

How many people's lives have been completely ruined because they were told as children that God is a vengeful and irate being who hates homosexual acts? How many millions of gay people have repressed their sexual feelings and led a miserable existence, because they were taught since childhood that the Almighty actually gives a shit about people's sexual orientation? I won't even mention the millions who have been imprisoned, tortured, persecuted and killed throughout history as a result of such evil views.

How many people are missing out on the joys of sex because of the breathtakingly absurd view that pre-marital sex, even with the person you love and you have been with for long time, is a hideous sin that will earn you eternal agony in Hell? Who in their right minds could possibly believe that God, a being who is supposed to be of infinite wisdom and goodness, would cast people into Hell for having sex???

And how many people are turned into fanatic killers, who believe those belonging to other faiths are worthless infidels who can be slaughtered with a clear conscience?

That is my main objection to teaching religion to children. I wouldn't have a problem if people stuck to the positive message religions give- but many simply use it to manipulate and programme children from birth, often with irreversible consequences.
  • Options
    Basically I think everyone would agree that children should not be taught to hate...........
  • Options
  • Options
    No but the effect can be mitigated to a great degree by teaching the opposite in schools etc.

I personally think children are influenced more by school than by their parents.............
  • Options
  • Options
    If I were a primary school teacher and I found out that a child was being taught by his parents at home that gays are evil or that God would send people to hell for masturbating or having pre-marital sex, I would make it plain to the child than his parents were talking bollocks.

I wouldn't take a dim view of Creationism either... though at least you could say that a person can live their whole lives believing in Creationism without it having much of a negative effect on them.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not if he actually told the kid their parents were talking bollocks but kids are taught things in school all the time that are contrary to what their parents would tell them.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Not if he actually told the kid their parents were talking bollocks but kids are taught things in school all the time that are contrary to what their parents would tell them.........

If the kids parents would complain, then he most definitely would.
    If he taught the contrary though, without telling the kids that his parents are fucker, then he would have more of a chance of keeping his job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    What about people talking politics at home?
    It's the same thing. Fanatism and moderation exists in both religion and politics.

I for one, have been happy about my religious education. And would say that comparing to my peers who don't have the same educational baggage as me, I have an advantage.
    On the other hand, I can't imagine myself growing up in the same circumstances as my mother.

to an extent religions tend to be more 'this is right this is wrong' than political views, like someone may grow and realise even thought their parents may believe in removing the walth disparity, they may think, "this is bollocks"
  • Options
    what is wrong with the teaching of sex only in marrage?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    to an extent religions tend to be more 'this is right this is wrong' than political views, like someone may grow and realise even thought their parents may believe in removing the walth disparity, they may think, "this is bollocks"

You must be joking if you think that there isn't an equally strict moral code in political milieus.
  • Options
    You must be joking if you think that there isn't an equally strict moral code in political milieus.

hmm but theres more room to question and decide what you think is the right path

people who dont know what theyre voting for are just thickos
  • Options

as are people who don't know who or what they are worshipping ...or why.
  • Options
    although totally irrelevant to the thread, i remember having a debate a while back where you (rolly) said that there was no where in the bible that stated a church should be built, for that arguement i post this.

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
    Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
    Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it
  • Options
    hmm but theres more room to question and decide what you think is the right path

So many wrongs in that statement.
    You're not doing yourself any good by spiting out such bullshit. On both accounts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    although totally irrelevant to the thread, i remember having a debate a while back where you (rolly) said that there was no where in the bible that stated a church should be built, for that arguement i post this.

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
    Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

That's not the bible. It's the new testament.
  • Options

:confused: i'm pretty sure us suppossed christains believe the bible is made up of the old and new testament and you know what i mean anyway.
  • Options

i don't recall ever denying this scripture but i think you will find that this means his organisation of followers ...spiritualy ...not in bricks and mortar.
    and hell ...is not a place but a condition ...death.
    'for the dead know nothing'.
  • Options
    :confused: i'm pretty sure us suppossed christains believe the bible is made up of the old and new testament and you know what i mean anyway.

You do.
    I don't :p
  • Options
    to a jew no ...but then you denied JC was the messiah ...despite having fulfilled over three hundred prophecies IN YOUR BIBLE ...so i guess your still waiting for him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i don't recall ever denying this scripture but i think you will find that this means his organisation of followers ...spiritualy ...not in bricks and mortar.
    and hell ...is not a place but a condition ...death.
    'for the dead know nothing'.

true but doesn't any spiritual organistation need a physical foundation to practice belief. not sure myself, i'm happy to pray to god by myself, haven't been to mass in over 5 years, hate it as much as you do but i can see where some people are ocming from, i think the first ever churches had the right idea, no altar, no insense, no ritual, pure mass.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    to a jew no ...but then you denied JC was the messiah ...despite having fulfilled over three hundred prophecies IN YOUR BIBLE ...so i guess your still waiting for him.

If going by that route of discussion, then there have been a lot of people said to be the messiah in Jewish history. One of the latest was the late Lubbavitche Rebbe (Rabbi) in New York, who was said to perform miracles as well.

Thing is the prophecy which is perhaps the most important, revival of the death and the rebuilding of Jerusalem, have not been fulfilled by neither. Hence making it unlikely for them or any other person "performing miracles" to be the Messiah.
  • Options
    true but doesn't any spiritual organistation need a physical foundation to practice belief. not sure myself, i'm happy to pray to god by myself, haven't been to mass in over 5 years, hate it as much as you do but i can see where some people are ocming from, i think the first ever churches had the right idea, no altar, no insense, no ritual, pure mass.
    i know what your saying ...they would also need cash to maintain there temples which is fine biblicaly but ...who IS recognised as THE church according to bible standards?
    deffinateley not the catholic one cos of it's practises.