Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

terror suspects win appeal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just read this artical:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4100481.stm

views anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic, superb news.

The transition from democracty to dictatorial police state has been (temporarily at least) halted.
  • Options
    Good news indeed, I'm sure Liberty's Christmas Party, which is today will be all the more jolly.
  • Options
    at last the government told they are wrong, just a shame that they didnt listen to the voice of the people when this came round the first time round.
    how do you think the government (charles clarke) will deal with this now?
  • Options
    They will change the balance of proof and admisable evidence so people can be convicted on the basis of a wierd look or being a muslim.
  • Options
    will they now be eligable for court casses?

or will they just be refused entry? how will suspects be treated now?
    i think they deserve the chance to clear their names at the least they deserve a public apology from our government for the disgusting way in which they have been treated.....
  • Options
    It wouldnt surprise me if most of them were sectioned under the mental health bill, they have apparently been driven to madness by the isolation and conditions.
  • Options
    i feel there are too many loopholes for the government and not enough for the people they represent.

it is us mere citizens that will get the reputation on behalf of the government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    They will change the balance of proof and admisable evidence so people can be convicted on the basis of a wierd look or being a muslim.

just found this article against their detention.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1376425,00.html
  • Options
    Can anyone help me, as I have a few questions about this?

Why were they detained in the first place? Is it because the govt. has intelligence linking them to terrorism? Perhaps something that can't be brought forward in court because it was obtained illegally?

I do not agree with holding people without trial, and think this ruling is a good thing, but I do hope that if the people being held are guilty of terrorist activity that they are brought to justice. However, how can this be done? :confused:

Thanks guys. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Why were they detained in the first place? Is it because the govt. has intelligence linking them to terrorism? Perhaps something that can't be brought forward in court because it was obtained illegally?
    Others can find more detailed info for you but this is pretty much the argument. To gather enough evidence which would be admissible in court you might have to compromise informants, or reveal sources. A lot of the 'evidence' against these men seems to be better described as 'intelligence'. The police use intelligence all the time - they use it to decide who to investigate further then gather the physical and admissible evidence to support their suspicions. What's happening here is that the second stage is being dispensed with and these men are detained on the basis of intelligence - intelligence which might be wrong, which has often been the cause of miscarriages of justice (Carl Bridgewater, the Birmingham Six, etc)
  • Options
    This is one of the rare instances where I believe the government was acting entirely correctly. The government did not take these anti-terror measures for the fun of it. It’s a sad and grim reality that there are terrorists out there who want to kill innocent British citizens. The government is entirely right to do all it can to prevent terrorists waging bloodshed against civilians. The Law Lords will have blood on their hands if as a result of their treacherous decision innocent lives are lost in a brutal terrorist attack carried out by these suspects.

Our intelligence services have done an excellent job in protecting us from terrorist attacks. It’s an extremely sad fact however that some people won’t wake up and recognise the terrorist threat until we’re actually attacked. What will it take before people realise that there are Muslim fundamentalists out there who wish to harm us?
  • Options
    What will it take for people to realise that the threat is exagerrated for political purposes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What will it take for people to realise that the threat is exagerrated for political purposes?

A reality based show with Simon Cowell, sadly.

The public are morons who swallow far too much bullshit. Either that or they don't care because they don't think it affects them.
  • Options
    Well they are strongly Muslim arent they? What more evidence do you need.
  • Options
    as it stands they are locked up for nothing, as, if they had evidence then they could have had a court case behind cloased doors if nessisarry, but no, the english government knows best!
    i also find it odd that we are the only european country to have a law like this, so before we get hated on by other countrys we need to ensure that all prisoners are treated in accordance with the european human rights.