Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Judging politicians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When it comes to deciding who to vote for what influences your decision the most, the idea you have of who that person is and whther you like them or not, or the policies they will enact?

Also what should make our minds up?

Comments

• Options
    In general I dont really care about the personal life of MP's.

But it really depends on the stance that they take, obviously what did for the Tory's was they stood up in public and talked about 'family values' then went off to a brothel.

Their policies should be the main judge of them, but also of course how they implement them and how effective they are.
  • Options
    So you would vote for someone with sensible policies but who was a complete scumbag compared to someone who seems a decent guy but whose policies you generally disagreed with?
  • Options
    Well scumbag in what context, if he/she was sleeping around then that wouldnt hugely bother me, unless they were nattering on about 'family' in public.
  • Options
    In General trearms I think Tony Blairs a cunt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    unless they were nattering on about 'family' in public.

So hypocrisy bothers you?

Would it bother you enough to not vote for someone even if they had a superior policy package in your eyes?
  • Options
    they hold a public position, as they are voted there to run our country, surley this would mean that both their public and private life will come into the public eyes, do we want people running the country without knowing a certain amount about them?
  • Options
    To me, unless they're doing nothing illegal they can do what they please. They can go dogging on a shopping mall parking area for all I care (and should matter to the public).

However this changes is the politician in question or his party are banging on about "family values", "morality" and all that rubbish.

That is why so many Tory MPs had to resign in the late 80s/early 90s when it transpired they were playing away, while at the same time the Tories were bothering about with their "back to basics" bullshit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    So hypocrisy bothers you?

Would it bother you enough to not vote for someone even if they had a superior policy package in your eyes?

Well its the trust issue really, in that an MP must be trustworthy, if he/she isnt then I wouldnt want to vote for them.

So, if they talk about family values then dont follow it, they are de facto a liar and therefore I wouldnt trust them to implement the polices even if they were better.

My MP for example, I dont agree with him, but he's always been decent with me, answering letters, explaining his situation and helping me by getting answers from various people and such. So to me he's trustworthy and that counts for a lot. I dont actually vote for him because he's too right wing, but I do actually consider voting for him, which is a big step.