Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hi newbie here.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been browsing your great site for the last couple of hours and wondered if some of you could answer a query for me.

Are these liberty caps?

Liberty caps

I have a bout 30-40 of these growing on my front lawn. should I go for it? Will be the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to our "great" site, make yourself feel at home, tbh i couldn't tell ya, not an expert on mushies but i'm sure bong or someone will tell you.
  • Options
    look promising to me ...
  • Options
    Yippee! I've got about 10 drying out in some paper towel on top of the radiator. Theres about another 30 on the lawn. alot of those are still small so will leave for a couple of days. I have remembered to "flick and pick". ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kleefarr
    Yippee! I've got about 10 drying out in some paper towel on top of the radiator. Theres about another 30 on the lawn. alot of those are still small so will leave for a couple of days. I have remembered to "flick and pick". ;)
    if i'm wrong and you die ...do i get sued?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if i'm wrong and you die ...do i get sued?

No! Of course not.

Here's a pic of the rest I picked. More

Should I take a couple, that way would I know if they're ok with out dying?
  • Options
    Ooo ive never seen anything like that growing in my garden before :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Since I've never done shrooms, I take this quote from Erowid:

"There is NO way to identify a mushroom based solely on a photo or even a written description. Identifying mushrooms is a complex process and it's easy to make mistakes. There are many varieties of both edible and psychoactive mushrooms which have poisonous look-alikes. Even an expert can be fooled by the outward appearance of these deadly look-alikes.

Unless you can either explore with a mycologist or knowledgeable and seasoned mushroom hunter, or take the time to learn the careful process of mushroom identification yourself through reading books and preferably joining a mycological society...we would strongly recommend not eating mushrooms you pick yourself.

Learning to identify mushrooms isn't difficult in and of itself, but it takes training. Because the down-side of eating a poisonous mushroom is so great...one needs to be extraordinarily careful."
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I'm with Junker on this one kleefarr, that quote is from Erowid's Wild Mushroom Identification Warning. The rest of Erowid's Mushroom Vault, here, is well worth a look.

But I would strongly advise you not to eat a mushroom that you can't identify, they can be very toxic.
  • Options
    I would say that its too late in the year for liberty caps. they do look a bit like that, but a lot of mushrooms and toadstools look like that. You need to find someone whos experienced in picking them, and not just someone whos experienced in eating the dried ones, but as I said, its a bit late in the year for liberty caps. I think theyre more september october time, than mid december.
  • Options
    Its not impossible though, the weather has been really up and down, I've got blossom on a tree near my house.
  • Options
    theyre not liberty caps.
    these are liberty caps.
    As you can see, the real ones, are black underneath and are more solid looking.
    Dont eat the ones youve picked.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    They don't look like liberty caps to me. Don't bother.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I wouldn't eat them anyway.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all of your replies. I'm still airing on the side of caution and haven't taken any yet.
    After reading through all of the websites that I've found and a lot of the ones you have kindly pointed out, a few things still make me wonder.

1. I read that generally if you find mushies in open grass areas instead of wooded areas, they will nearly always be mushies.

2. The older the mushie is, the flatter it becomes, even to the point of being inverted.

3. A lot of the pics I have seen seem to have been of young/middle aged mushies with more closed caps.

4. It has been quite mild here, as someone said "they've got blossom on the trees".

I have dried a few out over night and once the kids have gone to bed I will have a look at them. (No tasting) ;) Promise.

Still research to do. There are still shrooms on the lawn, no trees for yards, a lot of them are younger and have a more closed cap. I will pick some of the younger ones and post a new pic. Although I have heard many a time that "mushies can't really be accurately recognised from pics" etc, it may be worth posting the pics of the younger ones.

Thanks again and I will add more pics soon. :)

Kevin.
  • Options
    it's better to be safe than sorry
  • Options
    especially when youve got kids.
    dont risk eating potentially poisonous mushrooms. If you dont know for sure then dont eat them at all. You can buy shrooms from a head shop, its not worth the risk.
  • Options
    They aint liberty caps IMHO. They don't look like any I've ever come across. The colour and shade is all wrong.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    You can buy shrooms from a head shop, its not worth the risk.

Is a head shop? A health shop?
  • Options

No.

Something like Well Cool Stuff is a head shop.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

nurplemothersmilk7yv.gif
  • Options
    nurplemothersmilk7yv.gif

roflma. :lol:
  • Options
    Someone posted this on another site.

those ones in your picture wont kill you ive eaten hundreds of them, they will trip you out too. the ones you really want to avoid are the ones that look quite like them but without that little lump or nipple on the top , they (the bad ones) also tend to have more perfectly and uniformly hemispherical caps and they start to turn more orange in colour after theyve been out for a while. check all your mushies carefully as the crap ones often grow amongst or very nearby the good ones.
    also take it easy on dosage first time you do mushies from any praticular batch youve picked as strength and other factors can vary wildly.

• Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    No.

Something like Well Cool Stuff is a head shop.

Great website :)
  • Options
    I have just had a roll up with a couple of dried mushies in! :eek:

How long will it be before I would notice anything?
  • Options

give it about an hour and then you'll notice ...that there was no point.
  • Options
    give it about an hour and then you'll notice ...that there was no point.

Need more than two then?
  • Options
    Need more than two then?

I'm pretty sure smoking them would do fuck all but hurt your lungs. The way to take mushrooms is to chew them for a while then swallow them, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that with mushrooms you've picked, I've always bought mine from a store.
  • Options

Smoking most shrooms does fuck all. Smoking Fly's is supposed to do something but even then it's never worked for me.

Don't be a dinlo, don't take these when you can't be sure they are shrooms.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The active ingredients in mushies are very heat sensitive, in that they unstable at higher temp's.

They will NOT ever work when you smoke them, same as you can NEVER smoke LSD.
  • Options
    Someone posted this on another site.

those ones in your picture wont kill you ive eaten hundreds of them, they will trip you out too. the ones you really want to avoid are the ones that look quite like them but without that little lump or nipple on the top , they (the bad ones) also tend to have more perfectly and uniformly hemispherical caps and they start to turn more orange in colour after theyve been out for a while. check all your mushies carefully as the crap ones often grow amongst or very nearby the good ones.
    also take it easy on dosage first time you do mushies from any praticular batch youve picked as strength and other factors can vary wildly.

You really shouldn't take what people say on the Web as gospel. I reckon it's better to be safe than sorry and leave the mushrooms alone; at least til they've been checked out by an expert.