Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ex-editor of telegraph done for mohamed paedo comment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=592343

quite interesting but true, just because he has said soemthing which is insulting about a religious leader

more funny than anything

quite summary mohammed was 53 wen he married a 9yr old girl

Comments

• Options
    Banning open discussion of islam is the first step towards national submission to the 'religion of peace' and all the oppression entailed therein.

(with no apologies to those who favor beating their wife every day...for islam or whatever other reason.)

Posted the whole article on our gunsites forum because some attempts towards the same thing are being made in US and Canada...with about the same opposition.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Banning open discussion of islam is the first step towards national submission to the 'religion of peace' and all the oppression entailed therein.

(with no apologies to those who favor beating their wife every day...for islam or whatever other reason.)

Posted the whole article on our gunsites forum because some attempts towards the same thing are being made in US and Canada...with about the same opposition.

i should be allowed to criticse anyones actions as a choose, surely thats the point ofa free society
  • Options
    Yes, but anyone who has had at least a passing knowledge of History at some point in their lives knows that you shouldnt judge the past by modern standards.

This kind of thing was standard practice EVERYWHERE for years and years!

Our views on childhood and family are very Victorian.

This is just cynical crass crap to sell papers.
  • Options
    It's an interesting debate, but the comments do indeed appear gratuitous and inflammatory.

And I sympathise completely with all who oppose this proposed Bill, because it is appalling, but there should be better ways to discuss the matter.
  • Options
    Exactly, this Bill might not exactly be great, but these comments are designed to be inflammatory, incite distrust and hatred.
  • Options
    But he married a nine-year-old, whichever way you look at it.

Of course he was being inflammatory, and of course everyone else panders to the whinging fuckers.
  • Options
    If a newspaper editor started banging about most Christian saints and figures being wife beaters/child killers/cruel slavers/cold blooded murderers (delete as appropriate) I'm pretty sure the Christian community would have reacted in the same way as the Muslim community has.

Whereas the debate about the new religious hatred law is very important and raises many questions, the equalling of Mohamed with a paedophile is a cheap and pointless trick worthy only of scummy tabloids. Charles Moore should have known fucking better. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But he married a nine-year-old, whichever way you look at it.

And? Its of the period. Loads of people were doing it at the time.

If their preists were doing it now then it would be a very different issue.
  • Options
    I'd say that inflamitory is ok...liable and slander can be easily dealt with in the courts.

As for the islamics marying nine year old girls...I believe they still are on ocasion through arranged marrage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yes, but anyone who has had at least a passing knowledge of History at some point in their lives knows that you shouldnt judge the past by modern standards.

This kind of thing was standard practice EVERYWHERE for years and years!

Our views on childhood and family are very Victorian.

This is just cynical crass crap to sell papers.

i knew that happened over most of world, not my fault if the person i tell it to dont :p
  • Options
    And? Its of the period. Loads of people were doing it at the time.

He said so in the article.

Moore was right, hopefully this controversy will at least highlight the bill.
  • Options
    Someone once said; "The best law is the least law."

In today's politically correct climate it is more a matter of passing so many laws that noone could possibly want to try obeying them...and then deciding that government is actually thereby able to protect you.
  • Options
    To quote from that article:

"Muslim groups have been at the forefront of the campaign for laws against religious hatred proposed by the Home Secretary in the summer. They have long complained that, while British Jews are protected by the 1976 Race Relations Act, there has been no similar ban on anti-Islamic prejudice."

This proposal is wrong and I think some of the arguments used for it are misleading.

Currently it is illegal to incite racial hatred; this prohibits ‘threatening, abusive and insulting’ material against a group of people in the UK. This law as it is makes it illegal for say the National Front to distribute material calling for the murder of blacks, the law as it is prohibits fundamentalist muslims from distributing material calling for the murder of Jews.

What the Muslim groups who want this law are saying is that they are wanting equal protection under the law as British Jews have. That's an outright lie. This law would prohibt criticism of Islam. It is not at the moment illegal to criticise aspects of Judaism. It is only illegal to incite murder of Jews.

I would totally support a new law clarifying any previous acts making it illegal to incite violence against people of a particular religion or against gay/lesbian people but to ban criticism of a religion seems like the banning of free speech to a degree.

If I wish to criticise aspects of evangelical Christianity, fundamentalist Islam or ultra-Orthodox Judaism I believe I should be able to. Advocates of this law need to learn to differentiate between legitimate criticism and racist hatred.
  • Options
    Will we be allowed to call Lot a pimp?
  • Options
    Didn't the ancient Greek warriers (and other civilisations too) sodomise young boys because it was unpure to have sex with a woman? Or was it Samurai's.... or both? :confused:

Anyway, my point is that by contemporary standards no crime was committed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Didn't the ancient Greek warriers (and other civilisations too) sodomise young boys because it was unpure to have sex with a woman? Or was it Samurai's.... or both? :confused:

Anyway, my point is that by contemporary standards no crime was committed.

def samurais

and the greeks were known for their philosophy of women for children, men for sharing pleasure (in all ways)
  • Options
    Has anyone actually read what the man said???

'It seems to me that people are perfectly entitled - rude and mistaken as they may be - to say that Mohamed was a paedophile,'

He explictily states that it is a rude and mistaken view.

Moore could have illustrated the point with by saying discussion on Mohamed's beard would no longer be able to be discussed - but he was deliberately making a point that controversial subjects would be banned and so he had to choose something of some controversy. And given all the screams from people who seem to neither have read nor understood he seems to have illustrated his point perfectly.

Anyway whether Mohamed was a paedophile is somewhat moot as most sources say the girl was nineteen - not nine.
  • Options
    ~ She was nine...I have faith...it came to me in a dream...nine is the caliber of my...O'h never mind...she was nine, really ~

:cool: