Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'I don't know what to get you'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does it annoy you when it comes to Xmas/Valentines Day/ANniversarys/Birthdays and your partner just says 'I don't know what to get you' ?

I spent ages thinking of something to get my boyf that I think he'd really like and I put a lot of effort in and hes just like 'Meh, I dunno, I'll think about it later'. He knows I like stuff, he knows me well enough, hes so damn lazy.

Grr.

Comments

• Options
    yes that does annoy me, because if you have been with somebody for a certain amount of time, they should have been taking notice of you and should know you well as a person therefore knowing what sorts of things you like.
  • Options
    I spend ages thinking of what to get my boyfriend and quite often ask him a lot what he wants or say that I dont know what to get him simply cos I want him to have the best :)
  • Options
    My bloke says he doesnt know what else to get me (i only know he's taking me to the theatre) and so he'll ask me what i want but i hate that! It makes me feel greedy like "I WANT THAT" so i always say that he should choose and since he's really, really bad at picking up on hints, he really WILL have to choose!
  • Options
    guys just never know (in general) i didnt know, i dont look, i just be aware of it in advance and if i see something randomly that makes me go "she'll love that" i get it

i landed up getting the male (blue) cuddly toy dog for this girl beth and it landed up she already had the female one, which her nan got her before she died

she loved it(and me) :blush:

but other timesi can look for ages and find sod all, seriously i just cant have an opinion on anything, its jsut a mental impossibility
  • Options
    I'm not that bothered anymore if people get me stuff or not, just as long as I know they care.
    I always find it difficult to choose gifts for people, especially the ones I care a lot about, and therefore I don't expect it to be any easier for them.

I'm however horrible when it comes to answering people when they ask me what I want, and I wouldn't envy my partner if I had one to need to find me something. :P
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I'm crap at knowing what to get people as well, unless there's something really obvious that they've hinted heavily at, probably repeatedly. I'm not very good at taking hints either.
  • Options
    doesn't bother me.

my parents have known me my whole life and they don't know what to get me.
  • Options
    I knew my boyfriend would be like that too, so I wrote him a list! I don't know whether he would have picked up on the hints I dropped about a ring I like, but I put it at the top of the list anyway!

I freely admit I wouldn't have a clue which CDs/DVDs/Books to get him as we are completely different in that respect and I probably haven't heard of half the bands he likes! Likewise, he wouldn't have been sure which I like so the list was helpful there!

I did make a point of putting "and a small novelty item which requires slight use of inititative" on the bottom of the list so he knows he's got to come up with something himself. Apparently, he's thought of something and assures me I'll love it, but I'm getting scared now...

It's my 21st in February and he's already asked me to make a list for that.. just doesn't want to get it wrong, so I'm told!
  • Options
    My bf knows the types of things I like, but I have annoyingly expensive taste so i get the bigger things for myself and i dont really want for much else. Sept a teddy bear and maybe some sexy undies.

I was very good at designing our engagement ring and got the price down from £250 to £150. Arnt I a clever girl:D (helps that i work in a jewellers one day a week an all lol)

I tend to get my bf almost everything he wants. even after the smallest hint I will make a mental note and buy it for him a couple of days later. I want to spoil him rotten,
  • Options
    I don't hate that phrase when said to me, because I don't really have any suggestions for presents for me. Sure, there's loads of stuff I'd like. But if I wanted things that badly, then I'd go and buy them. And it's not like they're luxury items as such, just stuff I'd like when I have the money. Thing is, it's hard for other people to get them for me, as they don't exactly know what to get unless I tell them, and then there's no surprise element.

I'm stressed out about presents this year. Don't know what to get my Mum & Dad (as usual), and a friend has now told me they've got me something - which now means I'll have to get them something, but haven't a clue. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    I want to spoil him rotten,

hmm I'd absolutely love to have enough money to do that for my gf :nod: as it is, I have a pretty good idea of things that make her go "awwww" so I'll go for a wander and pick up some things I think she'll like :)

she on the other hand never has any idea what to get me :p but I always tell her to suprise me ;) that's the best bit bout pressies, not knowing what they are :D
  • Options
    Clearly though, when somebody already has everything they want, then saying "I doont know what to get you" is reasonable? Especially when looking for something special/good.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for my bf because...he has the shortest memory in the history so even if I do hint, he will NEVER remember. But I'm not overally...materialistic...yeah I like gifties but I'd rather we went out and did something together i.e. a meal than get all charged up about getting presents. I mean I've spoken to him subtley about what sorta things he likes and I've got quite a spunky memory. We watch alot of movies together and I remember one he was particularly buzzing about and like, a chain, he said he'd like one of those ages ago which I've remembered...he's also such a sodding picky sod, god knows if anything I get him will be up to standard!

Mind you, I tell him "I don't know what to get you" just to wind him up. Haven't bought him anything yet but I'm still working out costs and price comparrisons so I know what I'm looking to get him!

Malt Munk xxx
  • Options
    My boyfriend assured me straight away (weeks ago when i first asked him) that he knew exactly what he was going to get me and that i was going to love it! Worrying!!

He picked me up after he'd been shopping the other day and told me that he'd got part of my prezzie. He showed me everything that he'd got apart from 'something' in a Boots bag...wonder what it is :D
  • Options
    He's showing an interest and you throw it back at him.

And I bet if he got you something you HATED you'd throw a mardy hissyfit at him too.

Nice of you.
  • Options
    I never asked my boyfriend what he wanted for Christmas, cos I knew he'd say "I dunno" like all men do :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Do you not make a list of things you might like?

How is he supposed to know what you would like, or the other way round?

Everyone in my family makes lists, then my mum normally holds the lists and ticks things off as they are bought.

That way you can get something you've found that you think they will like, or pick an easy gift from the list. Simple.
  • Options
    Haha, I think most mums make Christmas lists! Even Christmas Card lists! My mum does anyway.

I made loads of lists for presents, but then I just gave up, and bought what I think he'd like when I went shopping. :D
  • Options
    My b/f is really bad at picking up hints, i was in a shop the other day dropping hints about a really cool scarf but he just wasnt listening to me. so it made me laff when a sales lady went over to him and said i think she mite have been dropping hints about what to get her(slightly interfearing i know but i really like that scarf!) and he was like really? how did u figure that?
  • Options
    He got me theatre tickets as an early Xmas present which was totally unexpected and absolutely amazing as he knew I really, really wanted to go.

Yay :)