Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teacher jailed for lesbian affair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here

I think this she has got of very lightly. This girl is very young, she could still be confused about her sexuality and yet a teacher can go ahead and have an affair with a 15 yr old girl.
Judge Smith said Rowe's actions had "distressed" the girl's parents, "disgraced" the school and had left her victim "confused".
So this girl is left confused and the teacher gets a 12 month sentence......pathetic.

Comments

• Options
    And 10 years on the sex offenders register and a life-time ban from working with children.
  • Options
    'So this girl is left confused and the teacher gets a 12 month sentence......pathetic'

Sure. She should at least have gotten three years and a good whipping.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    And 10 years on the sex offenders register and a life-time ban from working with children.

and ?

So she can get a job in Marks and Sparks, but in the meantime she could have really screwed this kid up...but yeah cos she's on a register for 10 years thats ok :confused:

and now im gonna try and find similar things which involve men and see if there are great differences as to how men and women are charged regarding this kind of offence.
  • Options
    scandle
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    and now im gonna try and find similar things which involve men and see if there are great differences as to how men and women are charged regarding this kind of offence.

I don't deny that she's acted thoroughly inappropriatly. But it's not like she raped this girl is it?
  • Options
    A man would have got a much heavier sentance.
  • Options
    I don't deny that she's acted thoroughly inappropriatly. But it's not like she raped this girl is it?

So do you think a 12 month custodial sentence is too low, about right or too much ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzo
    A man would have got a much heavier sentance.

im trying to find similar cases, but at the moment i cant :(

I would agree with you though.
  • Options
    So do you think a 12 month custodial sentence is too low, about right or too much ?

What would she got if she wasn't in a position of trust? Would she even have been jailed?
  • Options
    How much do you think might have been appropriate? And if it had been a ten year old girl? Same sentence?
  • Options

That's not really the point, it's comes back to the over-reaction of the rabid manics that think that every sex offence should result in being strung up and shot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    How much do you think might have been appropriate? And if it had been a ten year old girl? Same sentence?

Id say at least 3 years, cos with good behaviour she would be looking at serving 26 month..ish (rolly will tell us) :D

If it had been a 10 yr old girl then double it.

Fiend it is the point, I am genuinely interested as to what you think would be the right sentence.
    If I have misunderstood you then im sorry, but I am of the opinion you think this sentence is not too short.......id just like that bit clarified.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    What would she got if she wasn't in a position of trust? Would she even have been jailed?

nope but a man couldnt be jailed for that either unless she was 15 wen they started sexual relations
  • Options

Yes i would think she would have had a custodial sentence wouldnt she :eek2:
  • Options
    Fiend it is the point, I am genuinely interested as to what you think would be the right sentence.
    If I have misunderstood you then im sorry, but I am of the opinion you think this sentence is not too short.......id just like that bit clarified.

I don't know everything about the case. And I have very little doubt that Kermit will say something similar. We are not in a position to judge. Based on what the BBC is allowed to report I'd say it was about right, but for all you or I know it could be harsh considering unreported circumstances.
  • Options
    Based on what the BBC is allowed to report I'd say it was about right, but for all you or I know it could be harsh considering unreported circumstances.
    Based on that article, I'd say it was harsh. She's obviously abused her position of authority, but if they've been exchanging text messages, and planning a relationship for after the girl has left the school, I struggle to see a sexual offence. 15 isn't that young.
  • Options
    Yes i would think she would have had a custodial sentence wouldnt she :eek2:

I don't think she would have. If a 34 year old woman kisses a 15 year old girl I'm pretty sure no action would be taken if both parties were willing. The law may have changed in recent years but we were taught at school that there wasn't a law about sexual activity between two women.

Ah, I've just found this and interestingly the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (so quite recent) outlaws "any kind of sexual activity to take place between two people where one or both participants is under 16." Ah, so she may have been prosecuted!

I wonder if she would have even been 'found out' were it not for the fact the affair seemed to have taken place mainly at school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I didn't think there was a legal age for lesbian sex? Something to do with queen victoria or something...

no the sexual offences act from last year says that any sexual activity on a under 16 is illegal so therefore theoretically she could be prosecuted
  • Options
    The Sexual Offences Act 2003 makes it illegal because a) the girl was under 16 and b) the teacher was in a position of trust.

BeckyBoo, you need to get your head out of your arse about these cases. I mean that in the nicest way, but every time there is one of these cases come up you start frothing at the mouth and sounding like a BNP/The Sun henchman.

For the record, I find it telling how the judge's summing-up mentions the "disgrace" of the school and the apin of the parents long before the "confusion" of the schoolgirl. She hardly sounds like a helpless victim to me, and they rarely are at that age.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    BeckyBoo, you need to get your head out of your arse about these cases. I mean that in the nicest way, but every time there is one of these cases come up you start frothing at the mouth and sounding like a BNP/The Sun henchman.

For the record, I find it telling how the judge's summing-up mentions the "disgrace" of the school and the apin of the parents long before the "confusion" of the schoolgirl. She hardly sounds like a helpless victim to me, and they rarely are at that age.

But thats how I feel, do you want me to say everything is fine and dandy with me when its clearly not ? I have a problem with people like teachers who abuse their position, moreso when its this kind of thing.

Sorry, strongly disagree with that comment. At 15 yr old a lot of teenagers aint got a clue what they want with regards to sexualtiy. This was a teacher who abused her authority and if she had been a bloke (correct me if im wrong) then she would have had a stiffer penalty.
  • Options
    Sorry, strongly disagree with that comment. At 15 yr old a lot of teenagers aint got a clue what they want with regards to sexualtiy. This was a teacher who abused her authority and if she had been a bloke (correct me if im wrong) then she would have had a stiffer penalty.

hmmm they may not know what they want sexuality wise, but that doesnt stop many people wanting sex with people... if it was a guy or a girl teacher, that should be taken into account, however i find the system unfair as a guy would have the book thrown at him
  • Options
    I can't believe this girl is being called a "victim" and "distressed" in all of this. It sounds like she knew the teacher for a reasonable amount of time, enough time to decide whether she should proceed with the relationship. So she had sex with the teacher, and then a year later after the relationship fizzled out, she decided to go blab to her parents. That's what's pathetic.

Yes, the teacher abused her position of authority, but I don't see this girl as a distressed victim. And it's the same when I read about girls her age with male teachers too. If it's clear that it was a relationship, and not rape, where they're being forced to have sex, then it shouldn't be that big a deal. And they shouldn't be put on the sex offenders' list. You get leaks where people on that live all the time and they get random mobs round their houses ranting and raving.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Yes, the teacher abused her position of authority, but I don't see this girl as a distressed victim. And it's the same when I read about girls her age with male teachers too. If it's clear that it was a relationship, and not rape, where they're being forced to have sex, then it shouldn't be that big a deal. And they shouldn't be put on the sex offenders' list. You get leaks where people on that live all the time and they get random mobs round their houses ranting and raving.

With views like this is there any wonder why people think its ok to break the law. Your making out as though its nothing...but its not. She is an adult, why the hell would she want a relationship with a 15 yr old girl ? A decent adult would NEVER contemplate having a relationship with someone that age.
    Obviously to be a teacher she must be fairly intelligent, shame she didnt use her brain.
  • Options
    icon13.gif
  • Options
    With views like this is there any wonder why people think its ok to break the law. Your making out as though its nothing...but its not. She is an adult, why the hell would she want a relationship with a 15 yr old girl ? A decent adult would NEVER contemplate having a relationship with someone that age.
    Obviously to be a teacher she must be fairly intelligent, shame she didnt use her brain.

You don't need to attack my views so harsly! Of course I don't think it's okay to break the law! I just get angry when these so called "innocent victims" who are verging on 16, shag their teachers, get dumped, then cry to their mummies and daddies about it. They go to school to learn, not to start up sexual relationships. Personally if it were my daughter I'd be telling her off. Of course that teacher behaved irresponsibly and of course she should receive some sort of sentence, I feel 12 months is okay. But to be tarnished with the same brush as people like Brady, Huntley etc is absurd. There is a clear difference. A 15 year old girl having a relationship with an adult is different to a 12 year old girl being raped by one.
  • Options
    You don't need to attack my views so harsly! Of course I don't think it's okay to break the law! I just get angry when these so called "innocent victims" who are verging on 16, shag their teachers, get dumped, then cry to their mummies and daddies about it. They go to school to learn, not to start up sexual relationships. Personally if it were my daughter I'd be telling her off. Of course that teacher behaved irresponsibly and of course she should receive some sort of sentence, I feel 12 months is okay. But to be tarnished with the same brush as people like Brady, Huntley etc is absurd. There is a clear difference. A 15 year old girl having a relationship with an adult is different to a 12 year old girl being raped by one.

I didnt mean to sound harsh, sorry :(

of course theres a difference in rape, a BIG difference. I agree to that she aint like a rapist.....that we know about anyhow.

To me a woman of her age having a lesbian relationship is really wrong, if the girl is a lesbian then at least let her experiment with kids her own age. The woman should have took control like an adult and never let soemthing like this happen.....she didnt so she faces the consequenses.
    I feel that not just this crime but many different types of crimes people in this forum (not you cos you dont visit often) who seem to sweep it under the carpet. Is this why crimes is getting worse now , because people don think its that bad.......do you see what I mean.
  • Options
    icon13.gif

Come on then, explain yourself.
  • Options
    I didnt mean to sound harsh, sorry :(

of course theres a difference in rape, a BIG difference. I agree to that she aint like a rapist.....that we know about anyhow.

To me a woman of her age having a lesbian relationship is really wrong, if the girl is a lesbian then at least let her experiment with kids her own age. The woman should have took control like an adult and never let soemthing like this happen.....she didnt so she faces the consequenses.
    I feel that not just this crime but many different types of crimes people in this forum (not you cos you dont visit often) who seem to sweep it under the carpet. Is this why crimes is getting worse now , because people don think its that bad.......do you see what I mean.

Hehe I forgive you! :p

I know exactly what you mean and yes the teacher could have taken a lot more control over the situation, after all, she was the grown up in this. The point I am making is the fact at the girl was no innocent. I'm saying I don't like how the law and the media perceives girls in those situations. "Victim" is hardly the word I'd use for some of the girls you read about. I also disagree with the teacher being put on the sex offenders' register with serious paedophiles.
  • Options
    Hehe I forgive you! :p

phew...thanks ;)

tbh I agree with you about the sex offenders list for 10 years, that does sound harsh. Personally i dont think she's a really bad threat to society. I think her sentence should have been longer though.
  • Options
    A decent adult would NEVER contemplate having a relationship with someone that age.

Wrong. It would NOT be unreasonable for an 18 or 19 year old to have a relationship with a 15yr old. Make a point and stand by it. Because you're flip floping around like a dying fish. Either it's because the girl was underage, or it's because of the age gap, in which case age gap always matters irrespective of the actual ages of the people involved.