Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug Testing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could people share their thoughts as to drug testing within workplaces, schools, medicals, driving licensing?

mine is while there are some proffessions that should have this within not all, but it appears that there is a big trend with regard to what people like employers, schools etc, want too know about what people do or take in their private life?
is this against artical eight of the european human rights act "a persons right to carryout a private life"?
sorry if this has been here before or if its in the wrong thread..:confused:

Comments

• Options
    My biggest objection is to random drug testing because that assumes all employees are guilty, which is clearly wrong.

However, IF a person displays signs of potentially having a drug problem, then personnel should discuss it with the person and perhaps administer a test. This should definately include alcohol.
  • Options
    what about outside of employment?
    i imagine you'd say the same about schools?
  • Options
    I think ANY type of testing is schools is really not a good idea.

You will only further isolate those who really need to be there, if they think they will be tested they just wont attend, they wont stop using.

There should be much better drugs education, any type of testing would be run purely on sterotyping and used by Head Teachers to rid schools of pupils which they didnt like.
  • Options
  • Options
    i was just using school, work etc as examples, also im looking into where we stand in line with the ehra and all this testing of everyday people?
    is it just me who thinks its a bit too intrusive why do they need to know what we are doing all the time? yes i understand that there are terrorists about and yes there are other nasty people about, but im interested in the everyday people who just want to get on with their lives without interferance.
  • Options
    i agree with bong and...
    this is our world ...our country ...we shouldn't have to be passing so many tests to simply be allowed to live our lives in it ...or be cast down and out because we don't want to be owned.
    who the fuck do these people think they are?
  • Options
    In the varst majority of jobs employees could come in half cut and it really wouldnt make a huge impact upon anyone.

They might not be as productive but they wouldnt be putting lives at risk.

With jobs such as train drivers, doctors etc. then I can see the point in having a zero tolerance policy.
  • Options
    good morning sir.
  • Options
    it is my opinion that doctors are hiding the fact that they have addictions too, they appear to look down upon us mere mortals as they are a cut above, however they are the same as us but can help themselves to a certain extent.
  • Options
    The arogance of doctors isnt hugely surprising really, they have had probably more training than 99% of the 'normal' population, so in a medical setting they sort of have the right to look down upon us.
  • Options
    soz. not all doctors, just the ones that refuse too admit their own problems, but demand we look at ours.
  • Options
    No different from most people though really is it, humans as a race are far more likely to pick out faults in others that admit failings in our own charactor.
  • Options
    alcohol causes most accidents in the work place ...so are they testing for ythat?
  • Options
    not to my knowledge they dont at the moment just going on about drugs, they seem to think that because they are illegal then they must be more important.
  • Options
    alcohol causes most accidents in the work place ...so are they testing for ythat?

i have been wankered so bad that i couldnt see on duty behind a bar once. not funny, i deserved to be prosecuted; if a bit of broken glass had dropped into someones drink, that wouldnt have been funny.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i agree with bong and...
    this is our world ...our country ...we shouldn't have to be passing so many tests to simply be allowed to live our lives in it ...or be cast down and out because we don't want to be owned.
    who the fuck do these people think they are?

A lot of the time though, they'll leave you to it, if it's just you that you affect.

The police might drug test you to use it as evidence that you have had drugs.

Schools might drug test you so if you are a user, they can make sure you're not having an ill effect on other students.

Workplaces are similar to the school situation, but they have to also consider the reputation of the company. No company wants 'druggies' or 'alkys' or peados or anything like that really, well not high classed jobs anyway.

The Olympics test you because a) they dont want to bring the sport into disrespute, but you're also representing an entire nation. They don't want you to make the UK look like a drugged up land, like some countries already have.

If you look at most drug tests, they are done for a reason, whether right or not, they're not just done to be nosy and find out if you have taken drugs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    . No company wants 'druggies' or 'alkys' or peados or anything like that really, well not high classed jobs anyway.

the arts and entertainments world thrive on those druggies i'll have you know.
    what a boring world without those wonderfuly talented and often chemicaly enhanced people ...
  • Options
    No company wants 'druggies'

define "druggy"
  • Options
    Workplaces are similar to the school situation, but they have to also consider the reputation of the company. No company wants 'druggies' or 'alkys' or peados or anything like that really, well not high classed jobs anyway.

I'm surprised no one else picked up on this, I find the comparison between someone who uses drugs and someone who molestes children ignorant, stupid and offensive.

Please run through how those topics are related.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I'm surprised no one else picked up on this, I find the comparison between someone who uses drugs and someone who molestes children ignorant, stupid and offensive.

i concur!
  • Options
    The two are just not comparable at all.
  • Options
    The two are just not comparable at all.

irritatingly enough, alot of people think they are to a degree.
  • Options
    drug testing must be stopped.
    i agree with bong ...if you give cause for concern ...then you should be hauled into the gaffers office and made to piss in a bucket or whatever and if your high ...out the door.

the rest of it is a serious breach of my humanity.
    a new loo has recently come on the market ...to get in you swipe your card ...that way the toilet knows exactly who sitting on it ...it analyses everthying you part with and can be programmed to check for illegals prescribeds and alcohol ...and even your stress levels ...your general health etc ...
    your bosses your government your local sherrif and the town hall rents clerk ...will all know if you exceed the reccomended weekly allowance of alcohol ...how much colestrol you have and wether or not you cook fresh food or eat out of a micro wave ...
    it has to stop!

it has to fucking stop!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    That's just plain WRONG!!
    i know that rachie ... but people are actualy embracing these ideas and intrusions ...in fact these things are ACTUALY HAPPENING TO PEOPLE IN MY WORLD NOW ...the toilet ...see if i can find a link ...is already a big seller.
    you won't be allowed by law to get pissed very soon.
    is this the war on terrorism or is this a terrorist war on the people?
  • Options
    i think it's the latter

I hate what this world has become :(
    is it to late to do anything ...can we do anything ...?
    or is it as my fear tells me ...that few can see it ...more, don't even care ...
    the people of the western world have been booglarized ...
  • Options
    in what ways does drug testing along with all the other constraints and controls being heaped upon us help the human being ...the human mind and experience ...develop and flourish?
  • Options
    it doesnt, it must just give thoose in authoroty power i guess.
    where will it end?
    will we get access to this information about the authoroties?
    will the civil servents of our country have to do this too? will theirs be covered up if positive?
    is this not against the human rights act?
  • Options
    Originally posted by 01j01
    is this not against the human rights act?
    all that stuffs some quaint memory i fear ...
  • Options
    it would be great to think that would could rebel against it all.. but.. as the anti war protests have shown.. they don't listen:(

That was actually a lot more to do with the fact that there was no political opposition to the war (no serious votes in the house anyway) and because anti-war protesters dont vote.
  • Options

I was not comparing them directly - I have no problem with someone using drugs, but I was trying to see from a firm's perspective. They have an image, but even if they don't they want efficient, clean, people working there. Drugs don't give off this image, no matter what you say, recreational drugs always have and could always be associated with people who have 'gone off the rails'.

But if you're going to imply I'm ignorant, stupid and offensive when I try to put myself in another person's shoes, then I won't bother debating.