Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

SMTP Servers & Hotmail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know anything about SMTP servers and how to set one up so hotmail don't reject emails form you?

I have a newsleter that now has over 1,100 memebers and was using Pipex's SMTP server to send them out which worked fine, ut now they're stopping bulk messaging even though I was like tellig it to send maybe 10 messages and wait a few minutes before sending out the next 10.

So now sending direct from my PC using it's own SMTP server but Hotmail email addresses don't wanna know and have to be sent through a proper SMTP server.

Comments

• Options
    sounds like hotmail are blocking emails that are coming from dynamic ip addresses and / or home internet connections.

i expect they do this to prevent spam, and it sounds like the only cure is to find another smtp server
  • Options
    You cannot do very much to make hotmail accept you. post the hotmail stuff through a recognised ISP relay.

Or you could maybe mail the hotmail staff ?
  • Options
    Not sure if this works but ....

Gmail appears to have an smtp server which you can use from a local mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird. I've not tried it, but it might be worth looking at
  • Options
    Originally posted by pedr
    Not sure if this works but ....

Gmail appears to have an smtp server which you can use from a local mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird. I've not tried it, but it might be worth looking at

afail the gmail smtp server requires authentification with a proper gmail username and password
  • Options
    Yeah ... I meant get hold of a Gmail account and use that ... I imagine you can still set the 'from' address to whatever you want if you use Outlook or whatever to send the mail through.
  • Options
    I've got a few gmail invites if anyone wants one
  • Options
    perhaps run a mailing list software package on a php enabled peice of webspace. that's what i'd do.