Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

k700 shutter sound

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
its really annoying me now, cant get random photos of anything like weird events and stuff cause it just makes people look at you, they had to give you a really annoying sound that never changes volume didnt they

grrrrrrrr

turning on silent mode dont work, turning phone volume down dont work

one of those bloody privacy prevention things

Comments

• Options
    This wont really be of much use to you but i remember reading on a mobile phone forum i sometimes use that you need to get the firmware upgraded to the latest version and have it flashed... Dont know how much truth their is in that though sorry

I do believe that their isnt a way to get rid of the sound but i may be wrong
  • Options
    i dont have a cable for flashing it, cnt update firmware via bluetooth or infrared which i do have

and newest firmware is the problem is believe enforcing some law here or there so they dont get sued or something
  • Options
    try here

Take a look their if your unsure ask them they are well clued up on their. :)

btw, as far as i was aware phone flashing and firmware upgrading can only be done by the manufacturer themselves
  • Options
    my firmware is the problem :(

and to get the hidden menu up its

>*<<*<*

and on some netowrks they wont let use your your own mp3s as ringtones, thankfully not mine!
  • Options
    What does it sound like, exactly?
  • Options
    a KA-CHE thats so sleazy and loud and long it takes the piss

whilst the video makes a gnetle beep and thats it, scary really
  • Options
    I'll have to check on what noise my Motorola Razr will make in that case, then!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I just bought the Nokia 6230 and noticed it made a godawful noise when a pic was taken. Handily theres an option to turn it off! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    k700i allows it to be silent on silent mode :yes:

upgrade :p

no i have a k700i

and silent doesnt work, since i dont like using ringtones, they all sound stupid, and i cant think of any good intros to songs

ive tried all the options
  • Options
    Doesn't work on the S700i either, the noise seriously annoys the crap out of me. Even on my old shitty O2 X1 you could turn it off!!
  • Options
    I'm on T-Mobile and I can stop mine, too.

Hold down the # button and the silent mode will step in. The phone won't make any KA-CHE noises, then.

There isn't a specific option for turnin jus the camera noise off, tho.

EDIT: i know this is an old topic but i did a search for my new phone...
  • Options
    Davy wrote:
    I'm on T-Mobile and I can stop mine, too.

Hold down the # button and the silent mode will step in. The phone won't make any KA-CHE noises, then.

There isn't a specific option for turnin jus the camera noise off, tho.

EDIT: i know this is an old topic but i did a search for my new phone...

I have an unlocked k700i from tmob and just tried that, it doesnt work. Ive trawled the web and their is only ONE way to stop the very annoying KA-CHA sound... by flashing your phone to different firmware.

How fucking annoying though. Even the t610 could be put in silent and it didnt make a sound :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What sound are you guys on about, as I have the k700i in T-mobile and I have no problems with it.
  • Options
    Some k700i's can have the sound disabled in silent mode, or the meeting profile, other's can't. I got the latest firmware (did it myself) but the sound is still there. I think there is a newer one but I won't upgrade to it yet..however I can assure you the chances of the option for the shutter sound having an "off" option are slim. Basically - it's some law I believe to stop perverts and the likes taking photos of everyone without their consent. If you're taking photo's in the right place, who cares if people want to turn and look?
  • Options
    What sound are you guys on about, as I have the k700i in T-mobile and I have no problems with it.

This sound.... Its noisier than you'd think when your holding it up taking a picture.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Xila wrote:
    Some k700i's can have the sound disabled in silent mode, or the meeting profile, other's can't. I got the latest firmware (did it myself) but the sound is still there. I think there is a newer one but I won't upgrade to it yet..however I can assure you the chances of the option for the shutter sound having an "off" option are slim. Basically - it's some law I believe to stop perverts and the likes taking photos of everyone without their consent. If you're taking photo's in the right place, who cares if people want to turn and look?
    How come some phones have it and some don't then?

I turned it off on my 6230 straight away cos it sounded fucking stupid.
  • Options
    That I'm not so sure about..it could have been passed after the 6230 was produced, or it's just Sony Ericsson choosing to participate in this way to help reduce the misuse of the camera phone.

The k700i is the most ballsed up phone in history, so I can't explain why some phones work the "cheat" on silent mode and others do not.
  • Options
    Xila wrote:
    The k700i is the most ballsed up phone in history

What do you mean by that ?

I'm just curious :p
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    What do you mean by that ?

I'm just curious :p

It had major issues, namely with the O2 network - people aren't receiving mms/sms sent from a k700i or sent to a k700i and people are still being charged. This is a known problem but O2 haven't bothered informing people.

Secondly, the original batch were buggy with their firmware. For example, delay's regarding menu navigation, poor screen resolution, poor battery life, the camera was naff too. a lot of people have problems whereby in a call, there's a delay before you hear anything (so they could have said "hello" a lot before you realised they'd answered).

The quickshare badge on the front of the phone will come off - loads of people round here have been telling me about it; and mine came off too.

The phone chassis is so flimsey it scratches easily.

The value of the phone has depreciated rapidly.
  • Options
    Xila wrote:
    It had major issues, namely with the O2 network - people aren't receiving mms/sms sent from a k700i or sent to a k700i and people are still being charged. This is a known problem but O2 haven't bothered informing people.

Yeah i knew about that, caught it on watchdog couple of weeks back, did a lot of searching for info on it.
    Secondly, the original batch were buggy with their firmware. For example, delay's regarding menu navigation, poor screen resolution, poor battery life, the camera was naff too. a lot of people have problems whereby in a call, there's a delay before you hear anything (so they could have said "hello" a lot before you realised they'd answered).

Certainly ive not had anything like that except for the poor battery life and the delay in a call, although it was only teh once so far, but havent had many calls on it yet.

I picked up mine for a good price all-be-it it was second hand, does have a good scratch in it on the back but thats it. Was looking on ebay for a new housing but wont bother with doing that atm now.
  • Options
    No point rehousing, a lot of them are fake and scratch far too easy. I think you're on one of the later firmware versions so you're sorted with battery life! The improvement is slight, but the battery icon doesn't show real time battery life anyway ;)
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    Certainly ive not had anything like that except for the poor battery life...

I actually notived the poor battery life in my phone as well. Was a bit disappointed over that, but I do still love it. Have no other problems with it.
    Yes it has an ugly sound when taking a picture, but that don't really bother me.
  • Options
    I actually notived the poor battery life in my phone as well. Was a bit disappointed over that, but I do still love it. Have no other problems with it.
    Yes it has an ugly sound when taking a picture, but that don't really bother me.

How often do you have to charge your phone atm ? Im having to charge mine almost everyday, it can go for about 2 days but by then it has such a tiny amount it starts warning me theirs not much life left in it.... with mine it really is quite bad i need a new battery i think
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    How often do you have to charge your phone atm ? Im having to charge mine almost everyday, it can go for about 2 days but by then it has such a tiny amount it starts warning me theirs not much life left in it.... with mine it really is quite bad i need a new battery i think

Since I do use my phone quite a bit I find I have to charge it nearly every day. Though I like to have the battery go dead completely and leave it off sometimes, hoping that would also help. But compared to my other phones, I do find myself needing to charge it more than usual.
  • Options
    Since I do use my phone quite a bit I find I have to charge it nearly every day. Though I like to have the battery go dead completely and leave it off sometimes, hoping that would also help. But compared to my other phones, I do find myself needing to charge it more than usual.

Its actually true ( supposedly ) that if you let your battery drain to teh point where the phone turns itself off and give it a full charge, from time to time, you can increase battery life, probably not by much, although with all the phones ive had bar this one so far that theory has certainly worked for me :)
  • Options
    It doesn't increase battery life - it just helps it retain more charge.
    A new battery won't fix the problem with the k700i - firmware updating will.
    The Car Phone Warehouse or a Sony Center should be able to do that for you.

I tend to charge my phone every night if I use it because it can drop from green to red in a few minutes when in a call (see my above point about not having a real time display). I like to leave it to die every few months - saves electricity for one and it's better for the phone cycle.
  • Options
    Im thinking of getting a k700i, so was wondering that if someone looks when the sound is made, does the picture come out all blurry, or ok? Also do any orange users have the same problem?
  • Options
    If people in the shot turn round mid-photo then yes it'll be blurry. Usually the photo is taken before people react to the sound.

As for orange..I'm not sure. I suppose so, bar the O2 messaging problem I outlined :)