Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

oil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how much more effort should we put into replacing our dependence on oil?

discuss

90% of it is used a fuel, for cars, and for fuels to make electricity

only 10% AT MOST is used to make plastics and chemicals

i say we need to improve efficiency like doing little things like only using energy saving lights etc and making traditional bulbs illegal

reduce our use of it - use smallr engined cars where possible, even if that means making road tax really expensive for regular people with cars that arent efficient, or removing road tax, and only raising the money from petrol duty thus linking it directly to fuel usage

encouraging people to commute less, and business to be closer to people since its making kids lazy too as they get driven to school instead of walking

putting far more money into research for other technolgies, its the only way of getting fuel cells + fusion etc at a closer date, instead of people saying "oh but theyre not here for a while" - well do something about that

forcing other countries to do the same, firstly encouraging europe, then convincing european allies, then the other countries, then america will have to give in

otherwise oils gonna become rather expensive, and by the namerica and PNAC will have puppet governments in all oil rich countries and securing it for themselves, and holding everyone else to ransom, id rather make them the outcast ;)

Comments

• Options
    Completly getting rid of the road tax would mean the black market in fuel would be even more appealing and would happen more often.

I'd like to see more of a move towards short rotation copice as a carbon neutral form of generating power.

That and coal can be used now relatively cleanly, we have loads of that left.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    That and coal can be used now relatively cleanly, we have loads of that left.

erm only clean as in the mercury, and sulphur dioxide et all that comes with coal is removed

its a poor substitute and burns less well than oil and gas

and well biofuel, well there isnt enough land for that, and all the fertilser etc, comes from making t which does use a lot of fuel
  • Options
    Lets all switch to chip fat like the Welsh :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Lets all switch to chip fat like the Welsh :D
    a freind of mine near caernarfon set up a processing plant for that last year with the welsh development agency putting in a quarter of a million quid.
    within six months he decided it wasn't viable so ...he now has two massive generators and supplies electricity to the national grid instead ...on his chip oil.
  • Options
    300 years ago nobody needed oil (“horses don‘t drink oil, stupid!”). In 300 years people reading historical books will be surprised that we use oil for cars. ( “ they were so strange those twentieth century’s people. They used oil as fuel for their helicopters, can you imagine? The best way to break an engine down!”-- “ What oil is?”-- “ A kind of dirty bad smelling substance“-- “ I think 20th century was such a romantic epoch… it when Churchill was a president of Russian Empire, right?”-- “Ignorance is sin! He never was. He was a chancellor of California“-- ”That Californian Empire was the state, wasn’t it? I never understand what the state is though”-- “It when people had to give a half of their money to a secret organisation named government. If they didn’t a special man like a president or an emperor could send them to concentration camps and their children to schools”-- “Horror! But why did those governments demand people’s money?”-- “Hmm… to run those camps and schools I guess”)
  • Options
    :confused:
  • Options
    I think what Labrat was trying to say is that we're making a fuss over nothing. The market will adjust and we'll find another fuel we can use.
  • Options
    Yes we will have to. And I'll be extremely happy to see the back of the polluting filth and the corporations, foreign policies and wars behind it.
  • Options
    I'm sure the next big power source will lead to just as nasty companies and just as many dodgy governments. Its the way of things.
  • Options
    I wouldn't put faith entirely in markets LabRat, people are not forward looking enough and there is too much uncertainty for their to be perfect adjustment to new energy sources. Govt intervention will be necessary to push the economy in the right direction. As pointed out this requires cooperation between many govts, something that is difficult to achieve at the best of times.......
  • Options
    I'd suggest that the high fuel taxation here is a good example. Every moans about it but still pays.

This has led to duel fuel and LPG cars getting way more popular.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I wouldn't put faith entirely in markets LabRat, people are not forward looking enough and there is too much uncertainty for their to be perfect adjustment to new energy sources. Govt intervention will be necessary to push the economy in the right direction. As pointed out this requires cooperation between many govts, something that is difficult to achieve at the best of times.......
    No no no! I don’t agree absolutely.
    1. If people are not forward looking enough why governments are? Aren’t they made up of people? I can say more, common people plan their future and the future of their children, companies try to plan their future profits, sometimes for decades ahead. They all have good incentives to do it, because their money are just their money and they have no extra resources to survive.
    Governments in contrary spend not their money but money stolen of taxpayers, their horizon is limited by their term in office, they have much more troubles about next election than about the future of somebody‘s children. If there are really short-eyed animals they are democratically elected governments.
    2. Govt intervention ALWAYS pushes economy in the wrong direction, regardless what party is in power. Look here, purchasing power of any buck is absolutely equal on free market and a penny of a billionaire can’t buy more things than a penny of a beggar. But in the presence of a government it’s not true anymore. I think everybody here understands that real-life decision making process is not an areopagus of Olympic gods but just a game of special interests. Who is a winner? One who can offer enough to interest officials. Because officials as persons and government as an organisation are not the poorest men the price is high. So there is a thing I name ‘bribe barrier’, a minimal sum must be paid to get rulers’ permission on this or that. (Of course I don’t mean bribery in its primitive criminal form, there are lots of legal ways!) Some people, groups, organisations are taller that ’bribe fence’ while others are shorter. So purchasing power of tall guys’ bucks is higher than purchasing power of short guys’ bucks!
    Consequently, any decision made is not a vector sum of preferences of the whole nation but it represents preferences of SOME groups only. That is- pushing economy in a wrong direction.