Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

race attacks on rise in london

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*looking for link*

IMHO id take these with a pinch of salt though, where i am, if a white person gets in a fight with a minority, its cause the white persons 'a racist' not cause the minority persons a twat starting it, or cause they just got into a fight like people do

and on the opposite end, racist abuse against white people isnt taken seriously enoughly, even though non-whites are the majority here

if youve been subject to actual racist abuse though you get my full support, i just dont trust the statistics as a whole

Comments

• Options
    Re: race attacks on rise in london
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    *looking for link*

IMHO id take these with a pinch of salt though, where i am, if a white person gets in a fight with a minority, its cause the white persons 'a racist' not cause the minority persons a twat starting it, or cause they just got into a fight like people do

A racially aggravated crime would need to be proven like any other charge. If there is no element of racism that can be proven how could you be convicted?
  • Options
    Re: Re: race attacks on rise in london
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    A racially aggravated crime would need to be proven like any other charge. If there is no element of racism that can be proven how could you be convicted?

well one persons word against another, most people take the apparant 'victims' and for good reason normally too, but its abused

like slanging match at school, i once called this guy a prick and his mates were like "ooooh chris is being racist to xxxxxxx" when actually i werent, he was just a prick personally lol

i actually got asked about it by my form tutor too! :eek2:

was somehow alright for asian kids in my class to say anti-jewish jokes though, when im not even jewish and i just found them plain wrong

to black arab: how do oyou prove a crime is racially agravated?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: race attacks on rise in london
    well one persons word against another, most people take the apparant 'victims' and for good reason normally too, but its abused

like slanging match at school, i once called this guy a prick and his mates were like "ooooh chris is being racist to xxxxxxx" when actually i werent, he was just a prick personally lol

i actually got asked about it by my form tutor too! :eek2:

was somehow alright for asian kids in my class to say anti-jewish jokes though, when im not even jewish and i just found them plain wrong

to black arab: how do oyou prove a crime is racially agravated?

I'm talking about a fight where two people wilfully assaulted each other and no one is a victim.

What a bunch of kids say in your scenario is just rubbish to be ignored.

To answer your question, I do not have the legal definition but I would say that if I attacked you because you are white and witnesses said I was screaming racial insults while doing so, that would be racially aggravated assault.

If I attacked you because you spilled my pint, without the insults that would be assault.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: race attacks on rise in london
    I'm talking about a fight where two people wilfully assaulted each other and no one is a victim.

What a bunch of kids say in your scenario is just rubbish to be ignored.

To answer your question, I do not have the legal definition but I would say that if I attacked you because you are white and witnesses said I was screaming racial insults while doing so, that would be racially aggravated assault.

If I attacked you because you spilled my pint, without the insults that would be assault.

and well u normally do have a go at person for that, and on 1st thins you see like "you ugly c**t" or you "fat c**t"

what makes calling someone a "black/white/asian c**t" worse than them considering theyre just said in the heat of the moment

personally i dont say them, i just say "you f***ing c**t" in those situations but i do swear too much
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: race attacks on rise in london

what makes calling someone a "black/white/asian c**t" worse than them considering theyre just said in the heat of the moment

The way it makes you feel when its directed at you.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: race attacks on rise in london
    The way it makes you feel when its directed at you.

what if someone has a poor self esteem cause of weight, or cause they have braces, or cause theyre skinny or tall or short.... wanna give each of them a catagory

as south park said, all violent crimes are hate crimes (Y)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: race attacks on rise in london
    what if someone has a poor self esteem cause of weight, or cause they have braces, or cause theyre skinny or tall or short.... wanna give each of them a catagory

as south park said, all violent crimes are hate crimes (Y)

I was thinking generally with my post, things are never really that clear cut when looking at different individual cases like you've mentioned.

I know people who will laugh off racism directed at them and not give it a thought but generally this isn't so.
  • Options
    The law is a bit fuzzy in that If i go into a pub to beat up sopmeone because of their race, but I dont sayanything rasist whist doing it, and then I make up a bullshit exchuse to the police I thought he was someone else or he looked at me in a funy way.

Can t be proved a rasist attack.

On the other hand if im in a pub and get in an argument with a black or asian guy have a fight and during that I say something racist just because Im so angry or I want to pissthem off and I dont care how. Then this can be classed as a racist attack even though theres no racial motive.

SO I forsee problems, with this unless its a clkear cut case BNP skinheads breating up 2 black guy, its difficult and impractical to prove isnt it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum

On the other hand if im in a pub and get in an argument with a black or asian guy have a fight and during that I say something racist just because Im so angry or I want to pissthem off and I dont care how. Then this can be classed as a racist attack even though theres no racial motive.

If I do this to a white person and it is witnessed, I would expect to be prosecuted and could hardly complain. How is this fuzzy? say it and get done for it, don't say it and do not get done.
  • Options
    The point is if I realy wanted to carry out a rasist attack Id make dam sure not to say anything racist.

It seems that real race attacks will go unpunished and genuine fights in which rasist language is used will be punished.

Having said that I do agree with the law, but I think there needs to be more scope for interpritation.

In scotland there is a similer thing with sectarian attacks, (ie Catholic and protostant) and there are introducing a similer law about it.

Its not a simple problem with a simple solution is it.
  • Options
    Point understood.

In Scotland, how does the law stand about secterianism and football grounds?
  • Options
    i wouldn't swear to it, but im pretty sure that current legislation states that a racially motivated assault is one that the victim perceives as being racist. this is clearly wide open to abuse, especially as while lots of people would testify that they witnessed a fight, it would be difficult to be sure of what you heard someone shouting during a fight.
  • Options
    wheresmyplacebo - I totally agree with you.

Ive been involved in two racial things in my life.

One - I was mugged by a group of black kids after my phone and they targetted me and my girlfriend because we are rich white people. I knew one of em and managed to get them to fuck right off. This in my view is racist as they could have found any other minorities in the area but they decide to target me. Either its racist or their bloody good businessmen.

Two - At school me and an asian pal were throwing bits of rubber round the classroom. One hit an asian kid and i got a letter sent home saying I was involved in a racist assault. My friend however who instigated and bought the rubbers, didnt have nothing occur. Only because I was white did I get into trouble. On my record now im branded as racist because racism has to occur if a white person does anything to a non caucasian. If they were to do the same thing back, it wouldnt be racist.

I cannot stand the one way racism. It fuels my racism further by intentionally picking on me, a young white male.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaRaYaN
    One - I was mugged by a group of black kids after my phone and they targetted me and my girlfriend because we are rich white people. I knew one of em and managed to get them to fuck right off. This in my view is racist as they could have found any other minorities in the area but they decide to target me. Either its racist or their bloody good businessmen.

Two - At school me and an asian pal were throwing bits of rubber round the classroom. One hit an asian kid and i got a letter sent home saying I was involved in a racist assault. My friend however who instigated and bought the rubbers, didnt have nothing occur. Only because I was white did I get into trouble. On my record now im branded as racist because racism has to occur if a white person does anything to a non caucasian. If they were to do the same thing back, it wouldnt be racist.

I cannot stand the one way racism. It fuels my racism further by intentionally picking on me, a young white male.

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt.

Example one - maybe they just chose you. If they knew you, then they might know your financial situation. And maybe it just happened that all the members of the gang were black?

As for example two,
    At school me and an asian pal.....It fuels my racism further...

Things like this cause you to be racist, even though you have "an asian pal"?

I shall comment further when the link is found.
  • Options
  • Options
    wheresmyplacebo - I totally agree with you.

Ive been involved in two racial things in my life.

Why are you called "NaRaYaN"?
  • Options
    Its the hindu messenger of god and prodigy song reference. Hence showing im not racist but things like this show how others end up that way.

I must have phrased things wrong, I was ranting a bit and got all huffy puffy.

As for example one - during the incident they kept calling me whitey and other names for white people. Racist words if you ask me. If I were however in a group of white people targetting a black person, it would be racially motivated. The police however at the time said "things like this happen, on your way lad" insinuating they wont do shit all because of the black people. If they touch em or falsely arrest someone they will play the racist card and thats just not right.
  • Options
    Did you report it as a racist attack?
  • Options
    Nope said group of black kids mugged me and my gf. When they got my statement I said about the racist stuff they were saying but the police did nowt all.
  • Options
    Why didn't you report it as a racist attack?
  • Options
    Maybe because I was still in a rage about being mugged and having my phone taken? Scared that they might touch my gf as they were saying things to her aswell?

I rang my uncle whos a copper and he said they wont do anything if i say its racist other than make me do a longer statement cos of the mugging and how long it lasted they wont even go looking for the bastards that did it.
  • Options
    If that is the case, then its not right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I think he means the fact that racism is sometimes only seen to work one way actually makes people become racist as they resent the fact that it seems to be one rule for one group and another rule for everyone else.

Not that I sympathise with this viewpoint ...

I agree. I agree with it happening, I mean, not the sentiment.
  • Options

I know how you feel with this one. I had something like that happen to me.
    There was this girl at my school and she was yellow. She was 4 different races and called herself a cross breed,

Now one day at the bus stop someone asked me if I knew her, I wasnt to sutre what her name was and at my school it was no good saying the blonde one, so I said "is she the yellow one?" This kid then went back to school, told the girl that I was being racist and the teachers all had it in for me for months because of it.

To me this dont seem like a racist comment. I mean she was yellow. Same way as I'm white and the guy who asked me was black. Why is it now wrong to even say what colour someone is?
  • Options
    my best mate refers to himself as half cast, my family uses the term too, yet ive been pulled up so many time for usinbg though everyone i know well uses it, how am i being racist when it what most people i know refer to it as
  • Options
    my best mate refers to himself as half cast, my family uses the term too, yet ive been pulled up so many time for usinbg though everyone i know well uses it, how am i being racist when it what most people i know refer to it as

all goes back to pc does it not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    all goes back to pc does it not.

Its annoying somethings tho. I mean I have to be so carful about the way I phrase something because the slightest slip up turn a whole load of people against me.
    For example, I'm the only white in my class and during black history week my teacher was going on about how white people are opressing the blacks making them not have jobs as good as the whites:rolleyes:.
    I was the one sujected to indirect rasism what she was saying was bullshit. It may have been true about 30 years ago but its not true now.
    To argue my point took me about 10 mins just to explain myself with out ending up with the whole class agaisnt me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Its annoying somethings tho. I mean I have to be so carful about the way I phrase something because the slightest slip up turn a whole load of people against me.
    For example, I'm the only white in my class and during black history week my teacher was going on about how white people are opressing the blacks making them not have jobs as good as the whites:rolleyes:.
    I was the one sujected to indirect rasism what she was saying was bullshit. It may have been true about 30 years ago but its not true now.
    To argue my point took me about 10 mins just to explain myself with out ending up with the whole class agaisnt me.

It appears that way and I wish it were true but the problems of racism have not completely gone away just become less overt. Interesting this pc thing, I learnt a lot in sociology last year. Mixed race has now been replaced by dual heritage and I am now a BME (black or minority ethnic).

Your not alone in feeling confused sometimes.
  • Options
    sometimes it jsut seems so silly. I mean why cant people just be known for who they are. Skin colour shouldnt have anything to do with anything.

I can understand finding out for things like a census or something, or a ethnic survay at a large company but for everyday life why bother?

I know my skin colour is white, but I'm English. White english isnt on the census or any survays I've filled in. Its always been white UK. I'm not british, I'm english.

It pisses me off that everyone else's nationality get remembered but mine gets put into a crappy lil group that means anything.

did that make any sence??
  • Options
    Point understood.

In Scotland, how does the law stand about secterianism and football grounds?

I think its very similer, to racist laws in england, althrough it is more tolorated, reciently a dundee fan was bannedfor life for making rasist remarks to black players (ie monkey noises abuse etc) sectarianism is similer althrough more tolorated.

Untill very recientlly sectarian chants were considered just part of the game especialy at an old firm match (ie Rangers and Celtic)

But reciently their cracking down, its been due to the clubs a lot, Bhoys against bigitory and Pride over predudice

Sectaranism is a much more complicated issue that rasism I think,

Those white people who say racist things anj then say "but Iv got black friends" are full of shit

people who say sectarian things and then say yes but Iv got catholoc/protostant friends are normally tellin the truth.

Sectarinism is considered very bad form in almost all scotland, In england scratch the surface of a lot of white people and there varing degrees of racism, in scotland iits only the real bigots (ie orange marching bastards) whove got issues.