Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

For all those who love ChavScum.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    True Blagsta, the tone of some of the stuff on ChavScum is a bit over the top in places. I just don’t really find any of it that offensive. If groups of people went out chav-bashing or something like that I’d probably buy into the claims made against ChavScum more. But, for now I’m unable to see it like that as it’s not possible to view Chavism as a race, religion or sexuality…
  • Options
    But, for now I’m unable to see it like that as it’s not possible to view Chavism as a race, religion or sexuality…

im not asking you to, im asking you to recognise that this site contains sentiments which could be construed as prejudiced and offensive, directed at a clearly defined social group primarily identified through appearance
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    True Blagsta, the tone of some of the stuff on ChavScum is a bit over the top in places. I just don’t really find any of it that offensive. If groups of people went out chav-bashing or something like that I’d probably buy into the claims made against ChavScum more. But, for now I’m unable to see it like that as it’s not possible to view Chavism as a race, religion or sexuality…

My main problem with it is
    (a) its stereotyping
    and
    (b) there's a lot of vicious rhetoric used against the working class and underclass.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    there's a lot of vicious rhetoric used against the working class

I’d say the ‘vicious rhetoric’ is directed against chavs, not the working classes. And what exactly is working class now anyway? I know plenty of people who would identify themselves as working class but are certainly not chavs. Surely being working class and acting like a chav are two totally separate things?

You are right, it does stereotype against a particular ‘social group’.

But there are stereotypes against every group in society. There are stereotypical perceptions of the middle classes, the upper classes, etc. There are stereotypical opinions of people of particular nationalities – the French, the Germans, the Irish, the Americans. Of course I suppose the difference is those stereotypes disappear when people actually visit say France or meet somebody French…whereas a lot of people seem to strongly identify with the stereotypes of chavs…
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    Why tolerate one prejudice but not another :mad: :confused:

Selective compassion. In an ideal world we'd all be able to be who we wanted without discrimination... You wouldn't get shit for being fat, black, gay, in to rock music, middle class... You'd just be you.

But selective compassion is all we have so far...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    My main problem with it is
    (a) its stereotyping
    and
    (b) there's a lot of vicious rhetoric used against the working class and underclass.

And this differs from the "white trailer park trash" repeatedly directed my way, exactly, how?
    im asking you to recognise that this site contains sentiments which could be construed as prejudiced and offensive

Ain't nuthin' new...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    And this differs from the "white trailer park trash" repeatedly directed my way, exactly, how?

Have I ever said that about you?
  • Options
    Ain't nuthin' new...

ok...what does this have to do with the topic? :confused:
  • Options
    ok...what does this have to do with the topic? :confused:
    I assume he means that because prejudice is inevitably all around us, why single out chavs?
  • Options
    I assume he means that because prejudice is inevitably all around us, why single out chavs?

well that would nullify every anit-prejudicial movement ever, in such a world :confused:
  • Options
    well that would nullify every anit-prejudicial movement ever, in such a world :confused:
    Possibly, but then there is a difference between an instinctive prejudice and discrimination/racism/hatred etc., the former being inevitable, the latter unacceptable.
  • Options
    instinctive prejudice

yeah, and that opens another avenue to looking at the overlap between what can be considered instinctive and volentary.