Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tube workers to get 52 days holiday a year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Omg what is going on here these overpaid glorified bus drivers are getting so many good deals whilst nurses and teachers are still at the bottom the governments priority list.

I worked out that this amount of holiday equates to 20% of the working year off on holiday! (based on 5 days a week)

Not only this but there hours are now being cut down to 35 hours a week. I cant beleive the government or commuters can except this seeing as tho tube drivers earn over £30,000 a year. part of this new deal means the tube runs 24 hours on new years eve and we have an extra 1 hour on fridays and saturdays.

This dont cut it when im paying over the odds for an antiquated travel system thats always packed and breaking down. Whilst teachers live on the breadline

Link for article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4036061.stm

Comments

• Options
    Supply and demand I suppose.

And it helps to have a union that has no qualms about bringing London to a standstill whenever its members fancy a day off.

The bit at the bottom about Operation Cyprus was interesting. Who'd have thought that having extra police on duty on the Tube would cut crime? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yeh by 2008 one line will have computer controlled trains, drivers wont be drivers, theyll just say when people are on trains, im gona become a tube driver i think (Y)
  • Options
    Good for them and well done to the union(s) that made it possible. I wish I got 52 days holiday in my company.

To be honest I'm much more concerned with the Tube being run for profit and with commuters' fees ending up in the pockets of private companies than with tube drivers getting a good holiday deal.
  • Options
    I find it quite disgusting that tube drivers get paid more than teachers, police officers, firemen, nurses and even junior doctors.

I also find it odd that tube drivers are paid so much more than bus drivers. Bus drivers have to put up with London traffic, deal with rude customers and I can’t help feel that driving a double-decker bus (or one of those stupid bendy buses) is harder work than pushing a lever.

The fact is tube drivers can hold LU to ransom. The mere threat of a strike drives anyone into panic, the tube drivers know they can bring London to a standstill and they’ll keep doing it until someone has the bottle to stand up to them and tell them to f**k off next time they want a raise.
  • Options
    Good on 'em. We should all be aiming for this.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    I also find it odd that tube drivers are paid so much more than bus drivers. Bus drivers have to put up with London traffic, deal with rude customers and I can’t help feel that driving a double-decker bus (or one of those stupid bendy buses) is harder work than pushing a lever.
    I agree. I would not want to drive a car in London, never mind a bloody great bus! A tube train on the other hand, is a nice simple device to drive. Drivers don't have to deal with traffic jams or eejits in hot hatches. Its a nice simple stress-free job.
    ]Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I would imagine that tube drivers see more suicidal people spattered over their windscreens than bus drivers.
    Why? Is there that much suicide in London? I seriously doubt that the number of suicides on the tube exceeds the number of accidents on the buses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I would imagine that tube drivers see more suicidal people spattered over their windscreens than bus drivers.

Er maybe…but there are a lot more suicides on the roads than on the tube. But yeah, you’re right that’s a very grim aspect of tube/train drivers jobs. For the unlucky few that experience that it must be absolutely awful.

So sure, there are aspects of tube drivers jobs that are not very nice. But the same applies for paramedics, nurses and firemen who all get paid a lot less than tube drivers...
  • Options
    Well then we should be pushing for these people to have pay rises as well.
    Did you support the firefighters strike a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    I had mixed views about it. I do think they deserve more money but I thought their union was wrong to ask for as much as 40% and I think the timing of the strike was poor. I live near a fire station and I remember in the strike how a lot of the firemen there carried on working driving green goddesses during the strike. My dads friend was one of them and he said more money would have been nice but he said he’d rather stay on crap pay with no modernisation rather than a few quid more (cos they knew they wouldn’t get 40%) with lots of modernisation.

And considering the servicemen covering for the striking firemen were already on less pay than the firemen without any rise it did seem a bit out of order for them to ask for 40%.

So I guess my answer is no I didn’t support the strike but I did support them getting 10 or 15% rise with no changes to their working practices.
  • Options
    When you see the directors of the (private) companies that run the tube (companies that were parachuted in for the sole purpose of saving the government money, at the detriment of service and safety) getting hundreds of thousands of Pounds in salary plus similar amounts in bonuses, you have to wonder why we hear no outcry from the media and indeed much of the public.

The drivers are the ones who drive the trains, often work split shifts that fuck up their whole days, have to deal with suicides (which can be a most traumatic experience, and which sadly occurs rather frequently) and bear the full responsibility for the success of the operation- as opposed to the greedy, good-for-nothing fat cat greedy scumbag bosses.

When we see the Tube returned to public hands and its board of directors earn a modest five-figure salary like the rest of us mortals, you can come to me and discuss the 'perks' Tube drivers enjoy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    When you see the directors of the (private) companies that run the tube (companies that were parachuted in for the sole purpose of saving the government money, at the detriment of service and safety) getting hundreds of thousands of Pounds in salary plus similar amounts in bonuses, you have to wonder why we hear no outcry from the media and indeed much of the public.

The drivers are the ones who drive the trains, often work split shifts that fuck up their whole days, have to deal with suicides (which can be a most traumatic experience, and which sadly occurs rather frequently) and bear the full responsibility for the success of the operation- as opposed to the greedy, good-for-nothing fat cat greedy scumbag bosses.

When we see the Tube returned to public hands and its board of directors earn a modest five-figure salary like the rest of us mortals, you can come to me and discuss the 'perks' Tube drivers enjoy.
    when a fork lift truck driver earns more than a doc ...summats fucking wrong ...and the fat cats is a differnet issue to attack.
    a fucking monkey could do the job ...in fact guess what ...so could a microchip ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    when a fork lift truck driver earns more than a doc ...summats fucking wrong ...and the fat cats is a differnet issue to attack.
    a fucking monkey could do the job ...in fact guess what ...so could a microchip ...
    I agree. Let's leave fat cats out of the argument.

Doctors are now subject to the European working time directive, which has meant changes to working practices, rest periods and pay. Doctors have no choice but to accept these changes (most of which are desirable, but not all) because doctors could never strike, or even work to rule.

And then you get tube drivers and firemen striking because they don't want to change their working practices. In the case of firemen the proposed changes could only have benefitted the public and possibly saved lives. But no, better pay with status quo is what they got. It beggars belief sometimes.
  • Options
    The PPP scheme really isnt all that related to this, and 'fat cat' bashing isn't related either.

It is supply and demand unfortunately, so they get paid what they are 'worth' thats how it works.

Doesnt mean its likeable and it certainly doesnt mean their union is nice either. Bob Crowe should be strung up.
  • Options
    If your manager came into work and told you 'good news, we're getting 52 days holiday a year and you'll be paid more than a nurse' would you tell them to shove their offer? I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The PPP scheme really isnt all that related to this, and 'fat cat' bashing isn't related either.

It is supply and demand unfortunately, so they get paid what they are 'worth' thats how it works.
    Well there you have it: the fucking wonders of capitalism then.

The same system and principle that allows for still-spotty, wet-behind-the-ears young IT experts earn 30 or 40K per year, or high flying CEOs 200K per year.

Since I haven't heard many of you complaining about the disproportionate wages CEOs and top level managers earn, are we suggesting here that only white collar City boys can benefit from our wonderful capitalist job market system?

In other words, why no outrage that directors earn many times more than poor long suffering doctors and nurses? Why single out tube drivers? Shouldn't we ALL be cutting down our wages to be on a par with doctors and nurses?
  • Options
    Aladdin; Yes, they get paid what they get paid, fine.

I dont have to like it, but I do think its how things should work.

More than anything I dont like is because of their union, who I think has put members interest significantly above safety issues. That issue with the drinking staff and going on strike was a classic example.
  • Options
    Aladdin; Yes, they get paid what they get paid, fine.

I dont have to like it, but I do think its how things should work.

More than anything I dont like is because of their union, who I think has put members interest significantly above safety issues. That issue with the drinking staff and going on strike was a classic example.

the PPP was rather unnecessery though, and there were so few bidders, it was effectively no point having a bidding process...
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    the PPP was rather unnecessery though, and there were so few bidders, it was effectively no point having a bidding process...

Yes, the PPP is a bad joke, I am against that. Services such as transport should really only ever be in Public ownership.

But thats not really the issue.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    No. The nurses at work earn many times what I do. When I qualify as a primary teacher I still won't earn as much as them.

Nurses who are grade G or above earn quite a hefty wage (and so they should!) The ones who earn less than people think they should, earn less than people think they should because they have less clinical skills (as I'm sure you know GWST, this isn't for your benefit!)

I don't think doctors are badly paid at all. I've never met a poor doctor, or one who drives a crappy car or lives in a council house.
  • Options
    lets hope they do what the french done, replace it all with computer controlled system :p or only have people at station to check if people are on the train or not yet

save loads of money, tube should be like that by 2010 apparantly
  • Options
  • Options
    More than anything I dont like is because of their union, who I think has put members interest significantly above safety issues.

I think you'll find it's management that do that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I think you'll find it's management that do that.

So you're defending the strike they had over all those beer cans found in the staff room then?
  • Options
    Ken Livingston quoted that the infrastructre of the tube system is going to cost billions to repair and that more government handouts are needed as well price hike in tickets. So how really can they justify this latest cave in to tube workers. I mean they didnt even put up a fight.

In response to suicides. There are less suicides on tubes than there are on London streets and that doesnt take into account accidents that buses have. Nurses im sure, see far more death than tube workers
  • Options
    So you're defending the strike they had over all those beer cans found in the staff room then?

iirc management had no evidence as to who was responsible for those beer cans and unfairly victimised the nearest person/group of people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Londonboy
    Ken Livingston quoted that the infrastructre of the tube system is going to cost billions to repair and that more government handouts are needed as well price hike in tickets. So how really can they justify this latest cave in to tube workers. I mean they didnt even put up a fight.

How about criticising the bosses who cream off millions of public funds for change?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    iirc management had no evidence as to who was responsible for those beer cans and unfairly victimised the nearest person/group of people.

So when the union letter came forward saying that they should strike because of safety concerns because they couldnt strike because of the beer cans, that was alright? That was managements fault?
  • Options
    So when the union letter came forward saying that they should strike because of safety concerns because they couldnt strike because of the beer cans, that was alright? That was managements fault?

What letter was that? Do you have a copy?