Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eurabia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going try to convey this advertisment for a special t.v. program in the US exactly and not editorialize what I heard...cause the way they advertised the program on Fox is the point.

"EURABIA....Radical clerics in Europe are turning impressionable young Muslims into human missles...aimed at the United States."

Honest to God...if those aren't the exact words...they're pretty close. I said. This is really bad. My dad said...this is really a goof. (They got me for a minute. :o )

New ads focus on parts of the progam like Sweden letting in too many radicals.

If we have a clash of civilizations...I think it's being led by the media in general and Fox in particular. What do you think.

Comments

• Options
    Dude, try and get your hands on a copy of Outfoxed. Then, you will not be able to even watch the channel.
  • Options
    thanks. I will. Like the title. Can I ask you something? I think Fox influenced the election. As someone looking in at America...what do you think? Little insight: all the states with people who lost someone on 9/11 voted for Kerry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bluestatesman
    thanks. I will. Like the title. Can I ask you something? I think Fox influenced the election. As someone looking in at America...what do you think? Little insight: all the states with people who lost someone on 9/11 voted for Kerry.

That's a bit of an overstatement. I'm sure people in Ohio lost friends and family in 9/11.

Hmm, this election I think was fairly won (about as fair as could have been). The majority seemed to have voted for Bush. Although, there's a lot of stories coming out now with different numbers being crunched, and Kerry gaining an impressionable victory.

I can quite clearly say that I think Fox influenced the 2000 elcetion. Sure, all other networks had called Gore as winner, but as soon as Bush's 1st cousin, some head honcho guy at Fox incidentally, called the election, and the count in Florida, in favour of Bush - every other network changed their result.

The documentary is very interesting, but one sided.
  • Options
    ummm, "outfoxed" has pretty much been discredited as a serious objective tome.

i got hooked on fox cuz of their coverage of the war but i DO notice that they definitely come from the right. the difference is i've also noticed they make a great effort to represent both sides of a story. i've noticed that cnn has really been making an effort to do the same recently.
  • Options
    Wouldn't most of the U.S media have influenced the election?
  • Options
    actually, a lot of people made up their minds LONG ago. i personally made it a point not to watch any of the bullshit...listening to two bought and paid for morons cut from the same cloth arguing how they were different from one another. i just pinched my nose and picked the lesser of two weevils.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hardcorps1775
    actually, a lot of people made up their minds LONG ago. i personally made it a point not to watch any of the bullshit...listening to two bought and paid for morons cut from the same cloth arguing how they were different from one another. i just pinched my nose and picked the lesser of two weevils.

Can see myself thinking the same way in our elections. I don't like the Conservative policies, Nu Labour have taken onboard many Conservative policies, the Liberal Democrats locally have turned me of them for their lack of effective policies and leadership.

I may take a blindfold and pin to the polling station.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hardcorps1775
    ummm, "outfoxed" has pretty much been discredited as a serious objective tome.

Don't you mean subjective? Because Outfoxed is anything but objective. Find me one completely objective report on ANYTHING, ANYWHERE and you get a cookie. I said it was one sided. But it gives a good one side.

Nothing, anywhere, is completely objective.
  • Options
    "outfoxed" has pretty much been discredited as a serious objective tome

Id be interested to see just whom it is you refer to as having "long ago discredited" Outfoxed as a factually accurate documentary?

Given the fact that even Fox New's Chairman did not and could not dispute the facts as presented in the film...
    Fox News Chairman Rants But Does Not Refute Outfoxed
    Rather than refute any of the allegations of his network's bias and distortions depicted in the movie Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism, Fox News Channel Chairman Roger Ailes changed the subject by complaining about CNN and the use of Fox News clips in the movie. It was a rant without any rebuttal.

In the July 26, 2004 Broadcasting & Cable, Ailes said:

"Next week, we could take a month's worth of video from CNN International and do a documentary 'Why Does CNN hate America?' You wouldn't even have to do the hatchet job Outfoxed was. You damn well could run it without editing. CNN International, Al-Jazeera and BBC are the same in how they report - mostly that America is wrong and bad."

That's a lot of finger-pointing, Mr. Ailes, but you haven't refuted a single moment from Outfoxed's many instances of documented bias.

Ailes then turned self-righteous about the movie's use of Fox News clips:

"Everybody should stand up and say these people don't have the right to take our product anymore. They don't have a right to take a year's worth of Dan Rather or Ted Kppel and edit it any way they want. It puts journalism at risk."

His concern for the integrity of journalism is laughable given that Outfoxed documents numerous violations of journalistic ethics. It does this through leaked Fox memos giving directions on how to cover the news, interviews with ex-Fox employees who received those directions and numerous clips from actual Fox News broadcasts. Ailes has yet to even try to disprove or even defend any of those incidents. Instead he seems to hope that by changing the subject nobody will notice that, by omission, he tacitly admits that the documentary got it right.