Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Guantanamo on the Hudson

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
NEW YORK (AP) -- Saying the city had created its "own little Guantanamo on the Hudson" during the Republican National Convention, a lawyer Monday filed a lawsuit on behalf of nearly 2,000 people arrested at demonstrations.

During the Republican Convention the security of a very liberal city...perhaps one of the world's most liberal cities...the secret service and other top federal government groups were responsible for New York's security. My dad was trying to walk to the train to go home. All of a sudden from speakers he heard pedestrian lockdown. And from nowhere, he and everyone near the biggest Macy's in the US had an orange, mesh fence around them. The motor cycles came down the street. Some buffed-out guy yelled all clear and the fence...disappeared. It was very efficient and totally upset my dad cause he saw a police state. So when you read a story like the one that's I posted from CNN today...the news story is true. Rights were just thrown away under the guise of being tough on terrorism. My dad was voting for Kerry anyway but it cemented why. Now that there's talk of toughing anti-terrorism laws in the UK...we all should think about what we are protecting...and what we are giving away.