Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should rape be redefined so that it's not a male-only conviction?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well it's pretty straightforward here, hope I don't offend anyone who's been through an ordeal like this, but I'm just wondering - I used to think rape was having sex with someone against their will, but it's actually the penetration of a person by a man isn't it?

I'm pretty sure the cases of women sexually offended is a lot rarer occurance than men, but take this example:

A woman, say mid 30s, takes a boy around 16, and then forces him to have sex with her. Restraints needen't be physical because in some cases people have been paralyzed by fear for whatever reason.

Surely though this type of violation is as serious as penetrative rape? I think the law should recognise this... but everyone's entitled to their opinions, and that's why it's in politics and debate!

Comments

• Options
    im not sure about where the law stands cause i cant find the specific section in the bill where it is mentioned

hopefully somebody can, and then we will be able to discuss this fully

though if it is the case as you state, i agree it needs to be changed
  • Options
    How can a woman force a male to have sex I wonder? If he is paralyzed by fear as you state, it's gonna be a bit of a task penetrating her because the guy is going to have a major case of Mr. Floppy.

Just had a Google around and it's all "man rapes woman", "man rapes & beats woman". No, "woman rapes man".
  • Options
    The law has been changed, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 saw to that.

Rape is the penetration of the mouth, vagina or anus with a penis or other implement (and this can include another person's penis where that person does not consent), without consent. So a woman now CAN rape a man, though she has to penetrate him.

The reason why this is so is because it is difficult to force a man to penetrate a woman. A woman can indecently assault a man, but she cannot rape him as he penetrates her, not the other way around.

It makes perfect sense, IMHO.
  • Options
    Rape is still defined as penetration by the penis in the new Sexual Offences Act, however all other crimes in the bill (and there are hundreds) are now none gender specific.

Plus the offence of assualt by penetration carries exactly the same penalities as rape and applies to men or women.

There is also the offence of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent (which would apply to what you are discussing) for which again the maximum penalty is life.

So in answer to your question the law does recognise what you are talking about and does treat it, in principal, as seriously as rape.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30042--b.htm
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Rape is still defined as penetration by the penis in the new Sexual Offences Act, however all other crimes in the bill (and there are hundreds) are now none gender specific.

Plus the offence of assualt by penetration carries exactly the same penalities as rape and applies to men or women.

That's what I was getting at.

Penetratiing with other implements isn't rape, but it might as well be. It's essentially the same crime.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V

There is also the offence of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent (which would apply to what you are discussing) for which again the maximum penalty is life.

So in answer to your question the law does recognise what you are talking about and does treat it, in principal, as seriously as rape.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30042--b.htm

jim, are you a god in your spare time

you know everything!
  • Options