Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

even if you dont enjoy politics

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Yes. The Tories you hate so much were defeated in their proposal to place an amendment safeguarding the Parliament Act and Habeous Corpus. So no elections and indefinite imprisonment without charge. Fantastic :thumb:

I'm guessing the Tories and the Liberals had no chance against the Labour majority though. They should have just rebelled again :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Irrelevent. Labour MPs were never going to vote for anything other than an outright ban. Blaming the Lords is pointless as any amendments would have been rejected anyway.

Nah, you're right, there were a lot of back benchers who saw this issue in far too personal terms. It was very much a commons vs. lords issue, when it should have been about the bill in question.
  • Options
  • Options
    This is really weird, why wasn't this bigger news? I've looked too on other sites, and it's not there.

The only news I get is from Guardian on Sat, I'm going to see if it's their then.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well I've just written a strongly worded letter to my MP, have you?
  • Options
    I will pick up an Independent and a Guardian later. I will see if its in them. I should hope so.
  • Options
  • Options
    Most MP's will point blank ignore faxes and emails.

If you write a proper letter then you're more likely to get a response.

My MP may well vote with the government ALL the time but at least he responds when I write to him with decent responses.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thats a little tragic, I hope it improves soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Well I've just written a strongly worded letter to my MP, have you?

No, but I may well do, if i manage to find out enough info about this thing....
  • Options
    Well the Hansard record is all online now, so you could read all the debate that went on.

www.theyworkforyou.com will tell you the voting record of your MP.

And www.faxyourmp.co.uk will give you their address if you want to write to them.
  • Options
    I don't think there is much point writing to either of my MP's (is the one at uni or the one at home mine?)

In Exeter, Ben Bradshaw is a complete Blairite, and at home David Liddington well..he's a Tory. And I have met him....and he's just...yuck.
  • Options
    Well it was the Tories who put up some sort of fight against this bill.

You could write to him saying that you're not normally a Tory but you did agree with this stance and that you might consider voting for them if they carry on with that stance.
  • Options

You could write to him saying that you're not normally a Tory but you did agree with this stance and that you might consider voting for them if they carry on with that stance.

My vote to them wouldn't matter they have a massive majority at home anyway. And evening saying I might support one....*shudder* I may try and find the nearest Liberal.
  • Options
    For those of you who want more information Liberty produced this report when the bill was still in the planning stage.

Its a bit lengthy but its interesting none the less.

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/resources/policy-papers/policy-papers-2003/pdf-documents/sept-2003-draft-civil-contigency-bill.pdf
  • Options
    wehn the rerrorist attack happens ...you'll be glad of these changes in the law!

the attack was worked out between george and tony last week ...they will be putting the finnishing touches to making you feel glad ...soon.
  • Options
    well there you go we're just as bad as america, and how the fuck is this not considered newsworthy? i think we all know the implications of this too clearly, lets hope we're not afraid to stand up and be counted when the time comes, its not as far off as you may think.............
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    well there you go we're just as bad as america, and how the fuck is this not considered newsworthy? i think we all know the implications of this too clearly, lets hope we're not afraid to stand up and be counted when the time comes, its not as far off as you may think.............
    no ...i swear you'll be glad.
  • Options

long term state of our democracy is more important than temporary issues like health etc.... however im quite sure the tories wouldnt revoke this law

what im wondering is, is that surely this is what terroists want - a police state, as its our freedoms and liberty that extremists despice, yet what what to do we do - we make our country less free and less democratic
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    well there you go we're just as bad as america

This is WAY worse than even the second version of the Patriot Act.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    OK, a bomb is something different, of course fear can make people do or accept crazy things, but i just think enough people aren't stupid for the stuff rolly was talking about to happen, I mean look at this forum, people are aware of things, maybe we just need to act..
    fear ...economics ...and bullshit can change landscapes.
    people in nazi germany were aware.
    i think less people are aware or even interested than you think.
    try having a serious conversation in anything goes where the majority of posters are ...you get accused of being a doom and gloom depressing fucker.
    people don't like or even have to face reality as often as they would like to believe.
    celebrity and fashion seem to hold far greater sway.
  • Options
    Reichstag fire anyone?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Reichstag fire anyone?
    all the machinery is being put in place ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    fear ...economics ...and bullshit can change landscapes.
    people in nazi germany were aware.
    i think less people are aware or even interested than you think.
    try having a serious conversation in anything goes where the majority of posters are ...you get accused of being a doom and gloom depressing fucker.
    people don't like or even have to face reality as often as they would like to believe.
    celebrity and fashion seem to hold far greater sway.

Thats so true, ask most people in Anything Goes how much news they pay attention to and most will say none.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    all the machinery is being put in place ...

I think you might be mistaken about that. If you actually read the thing you'll find that the Govt. only have to be convinced that an emergency is about to occur before they're allowed to make emergency regulations. So in fact, nothing actually has to HAPPEN at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I think you might be mistaken about that. If you actually read the thing you'll find that the Govt. only have to be convinced that an emergency is about to occur before they're allowed to make emergency regulations. So in fact, nothing actually has to HAPPEN at all.
    i'll rephrase that ...the machinery is now IN place!
  • Options
    Exactly, Blair just needs to feel a bit spooked one morning and he can call a halt to virtually all civil liberties.
  • Options
    Exactly, Blair just needs to feel a bit spooked one morning and he can call a halt to virtually all civil liberties.
    has a british prime minister ever been in such a powerful position?