Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The racist libel

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The racist libel
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Do you finish reading a thread before going off on one at someone? because if you don't it's little more than postwhoring and basic bad manners.

So, you quoted a study no one's ever heard of. That ain't stats.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The racist libel
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    So, you quoted a study no one's ever heard of. That ain't stats.

it's also not the point. You wanted a source, I got one. It's not like you're all, or any of you, are going to have heard of my sources. For example the IMechE conference on international safety standards. Not the most well known body in the world is it?
  • Options
    An easily verifiable source might be more helpful.
  • Options
    Dude, it's not the point
  • Options
    Errr...yes it is. And don't call me "dude".
  • Options
    Errr...yes it is. And don't call me "dude".

It's not the point, it's about group identity, and where it goes. This isn't a discussion about verifiable sources.
  • Options
    98% of statistics are made up on the spot. a lot of these '' x% of x type of people do x behaviour statements are subject to political beliefs; i am constantly being told that boys are underperforming in schools, is this sexist or just a proven fact? i remember reading ( back in the 1980's ) that 85% of muggings were committed by black males. probably bollocks, but it would be unthinkable to publish this statistic nowadays. my point is that the ''dumb boys'' belief is not challenged or met with howls of indignation, why not? as a male, dont i have the right to be offended?
  • Options
    So what is this thread actually about?

Blaggy, you make a valid point about the assertion that black boys are less academically able, but this isn't about race or discrimination, it's surely just naming generalisations and talking of averages and likelihoods.
  • Options
    Sorry, was that point made was it?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The racist libel
    it's statisically true. and therefore a group identity, we have already established that no individual exactly mirrors the group.

There seems to be some confusion between stereotypes, generalisations and group identity - group identity is not something that you foist on people, its something they assume - and somehow (even if it was true that black men are less intelligent than you..... :rolleyes: ) I can't see too many people building a group identity out of being "less intelligent" .......
  • Options
    It's not the point, it's about group identity, and where it goes. This isn't a discussion about verifiable sources.

But if yer gonna use something to make a point, it should be a verifiable something.
  • Options
    But if yer gonna use something to make a point, it should be a verifiable something.

no not really, my point was not really anything to do with any statistic in particular. It can be shown by the statistic that lboro uni ration boys to girls is 3/2 and therefore boys are rampantly horny OR by the same statistic that the girls are all easy.

I don't need to be able to back up the ratio, the point is that any group has an identity or stereotype, that doesn't mean that every or indeed any member of the group DIRECTLY reflects that identity.
  • Options
    no not really, my point was not really anything to do with any statistic in particular. It can be shown by the statistic that lboro uni ration boys to girls is 3/2 and therefore boys are rampantly horny OR by the same statistic that the girls are all easy.

I don't need to be able to back up the ratio, the point is that any group has an identity or stereotype, that doesn't mean that every or indeed any member of the group DIRECTLY reflects that identity.

Yes groups have identities and stereotypes (these things are not the same), but to assume that you know how an individual will be, based on their stereotype is the very defintion of prejudice.
  • Options
    Yes groups have identities and stereotypes (these things are not the same), but to assume that you know how an individual will be, based on their stereotype is the very defintion of prejudice.

That's precisly my point.
  • Options

No, it's my point. Get yer own. :p
  • Options
    Excuse me, I think you lost this: e
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Excuse me, I think you lost this: e

My 'e' key is broken.
  • Options
    My 'e' key is broken.
    You're going to bed without any tea at this rate young lady. :lol:
  • Options
    You're going to bed without any tea at this rate young lady. :lol:

How disapointing for you. Already eaten.
  • Options
    disapointing
    Your belly may be full but you still can't spell. Go to your room. :p
  • Options
    Your belly may be full but you still can't spell. Go to your room. :p

What's wrong with that one?! I blatantly haven't missed out an 'e' there.
  • Options
    What's wrong with that one?! I blatantly haven't missed out an 'e' there.
    No it was a 'p' that time.

*switches off internal spellchecker*
  • Options
    No it was a 'p' that time.

*switches off internal spellchecker*

crap
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Just point out it wasn't the poll that made you sound racist, it was the claim that black footballers were not english
    I've defended my views about the England players on another thread. I explained that it's not about race, it's about ethnicity and respecting the different ethnic groups in England. If you don't agree with me on this matter, we have a minor disagreement about the definition of Englishness, and it's not a very moderate moderator who labels me racist. When this word is used it's generally understood and intended to imply that a person dilikes, even hates people because of their race. I've looked at my posts and assume you have too, there's nothing to imply any hostility to anyone, and I think I should be given the benefit of doubt by the moderators.
    As for discrimination between groups based on knowledge of the groups ages, genders, or even race (which I don't think I even mentioned!), I've only ever said that such discrimination can be reasonable. Insurance companies discriminate against young male drivers. Medics use racial profiling in the delivery of vital health services. Charities work to improve living conditions in poor, rather than rich countries. This is discrimination between human groups based on knowledge of the differences between the groups. I haven't even said that I approve of such discrimination or if I myself discriminate against anybody based on any criteria. Yet I'm a racist because doctors do! Give me the benefit of the doubt. I'm not racist.
  • Options
    You still haven't told us what you mean by "Englishness".