Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

All this learning malarky, a levels, uni etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is it really worth it? For all the pressures and stresses is it really worth going through it? Or is it advisable to go through training?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think, for all the pressure and all the stress, you will make up for at least two fold in good freinds, good times, and good memories :)
  • Options
    Yere education is stressfull, but if you dont do it now, your unlikly to do it ever. And it's not THAT stressfull. Stressfull would be when you cant afford to feed yourself or something like that.

Bopz
  • Options
    Re: All this learning malarky, a levels, uni etc
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Is it really worth it? For all the pressures and stresses is it really worth going through it? Or is it advisable to go through training?

Depends on the individual. ;)
  • Options
    I agree with Theydon Bois; also it does depend on the job you get after the education aswell. If you do a useless degree etc. and do not enjoy uni then it isn't worth it.
  • Options
    Well I do English Lit, French and German at A Level, have applied for French and German courses at uni. I think i'm just starting to doubt my ability to succeed at this.
  • Options
    Re: All this learning malarky, a levels, uni etc
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner

feeling the same, very dissillusioned at the moment, i'm going to skool learning about 16th centruy monarchs, meanwhile my mates are out on building sites, doing something for society, i feel like a leech.
  • Options
    Re: Re: All this learning malarky, a levels, uni etc
    Originally posted by turlough
    feeling the same, very dissillusioned at the moment, i'm going to skool learning about 16th centruy monarchs, meanwhile my mates are out on building sites, doing something for society, i feel like a leech.

Yeh but you have to think about it in the long term, get an education, get a job, be happy and put back into society.

I seen you've got intelligence. You may as well apply it to education and get a career through that. It may seem good now to earn a bit of money, but whatever job you get into now may not actually make you happy through your working life.
  • Options
    like people learning languages at uni, id rather spend a fraction of the money going to that country and doing a proper job there, building up an experience of using the language properly as they speak it

my degree well a degree is the only way to learn it, im in the 2nd year and im still learning basics where they tell us, just assume this cause we havent covered enough detail yet, but you wouldnt know if you saw my notes

i do chemistry btw
  • Options
    i always thought a degree was everything...the plan was always school, college, university. after just starting my second year (of French and Italian) and being deeply unhappy doing it (despite doing well) I decided to pack it in.
    Now I'm applying to do EVS in Italy for 12 months, where I hope to learn the language better than I ever could stuck in Bristol. Then I'm seriously considering the possibility of just staying there.

For me this is definitely the right decision as I am infinitely happier now the academic pressure has been taken away. A lot of people say I am wasting opportunities or whatever but at the end of the day, I can get a job and get on with life happily without the huge debt and the stress that went with it for me.

But like everyone has said, it totally depends on the individual and what you want out of life. It took me a while to come to terms with the fact that university wasn't right for me since all my friends, family etc have done it/are doing it..including several at oxford...but it's whatever is right for you and whatever's gonna make you happy.