Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fundamentalism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'the US is the true home of religious extremism, which begins not as a crusade against outsiders but as a hatred of those of the same faith' - karen armstrong

discuss

Comments

• Options
    Anyone who believes that the Bible is the literal and infallible word of God is a fundamentalist Christian. There's a few on these boards.
  • Options
    Re: fundamentalism
    Originally posted by xmizzcattyx
    'the US is the true home of religious extremism, which begins not as a crusade against outsiders but as a hatred of those of the same faith'

I'm not sure I understand this. Is she saying that religious extremists are intolerant of those who follow the same religion? :confused:
  • Options
    Yes - they think that their particular brand is the ONE TRUE PATH.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yes - they think that their particular brand is the ONE TRUE PATH.

Ah, for example Catholics are resolute in their belief that their particular brand is the word of god and Baptists, Methodists etc are heretics?
  • Options
    tv programme on tonite bout it 11pm channel 4 i bleieve

going round biible belt
  • Options
    Fundamentalism is just about getting back to the basis of a religion. The different Christian denominations don't often disagree on the fundamentals of the Christian faith, but may disagree on peripheral issues such as baptism, confession, divorce etc. As for "brands", if you are talking about seperate religions then brand is a misleading term. They are entirely different products.
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    tv programme on tonite bout it 11pm channel 4 i bleieve

going round biible belt
    From the Sunday Telegraph TV Guide
    Elliott Gerner is looking for a religious experience. Or so he says. In the first of a series examining faiths around the world, he goes to America to meet fundamentalist Christians. But Gerner's encounters with bikers, students and authors just seem like attempts to give us misguided oddballs to enjoy. The end result is gauche, lacking a Theroux-like wit or genuine sense of enquiry
    Channel 4 12-1am
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    As for "brands", if you are talking about seperate religions then brand is a misleading term. They are entirely different products

Yes. Like Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola are entirely different products.
  • Options
    As I wrote in another thread...

The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought has this to say on fundamentalism
    The belief that the Bible possesses complete infallibility because every word in it is the Word of God. The term is derived from a series of tracts, The Fundamentals, published in the USA in 1909. Other doctrines defended (on the basis of this literal acceptance of passages in the Bible) include the interpretation of the death of Jesus as a 'substitutionary' sacrifice to the just wrath of God on mankind's sins; the virgin birth, physical resurrection and 'Second Coming' of Jesus; and eternal punishment in hell. Fundamentalism is strongest among some American Protestants and is usually accompanied by the condemnation both of the Roman Catholic Church and of modern thought.
  • Options
    Yes. Like Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola are entirely different products.
    Fundmentally, those are both cola flavoured beverages, so if you want to play this game they would be denominations. Different religions might be Lemonade, Tango, Evian and Nescafe.

We've had this discussion before and all you could come up with as a similarity between the major religions was belief in an eternal soul if I remember correctly. It's not really relevant anyway.
  • Options
    I slaughtered you on that other thread and you know it.
  • Options
    Fundmentally Different religions might be Lemonade, Tango, Evian and Nescafe.

lol!
  • Options
    Different religions might be Lemonade, Tango, Evian and Nescafe.

No, that would be the different positions such as atheist, agnostic, monotheist etc
  • Options
    Re: Re: fundamentalism
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I'm not sure I understand this. Is she saying that religious extremists are intolerant of those who follow the same religion? :confused:

if they disagree on certain issues, yes.
  • Options
    That's not how I remember it... :lol:
  • Options
    No, that would be the different positions such as atheist, agnostic, monotheist etc
    Nope. They are all mutually exclusive.

Religions exist for the same purpose perhaps but are fundamentally different.
  • Options
    That's not how I remember it... :lol:

Well...you wouldn't would you.
  • Options
    Nope. They are all mutually exclusive.

Religions exist for the same purpose perhaps but are fundamentally different.

Arguing with a religous fundmentalist is like :banghead:

Utterley futile.
  • Options
    Religions exist for the same purpose

what about the amish? they exist as a response to modernity .. thats way different to the purpose of others
  • Options
    Well...you wouldn't would you.
    whatever.jpg
  • Options
    Kentish has a problem understanding concepts such as metaphor, allegory and theme.
  • Options
    Arguing with a religous fundmentalist is like :banghead:

Utterley futile.
    You are a fundamentalist too. Your truth apparently comes from The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought.

I don't know where you're going with Amish...
  • Options
    Kentish has a problem understanding concepts such as metaphor, allegory and theme.
    :rolleyes:

Your problem, my friend, appears to be arrogance.
  • Options
    You are a fundamentalist too. Your truth apparently comes from The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought.

Good riposte. :rolleyes:
  • Options

Your problem appears to be lack of critical thought.
  • Options

Is this your normal throwaway line when confronted with something you quite clearly do not understand. How many times have I heard you utter this dross while you are on the ropes?

It's tired, cliched and it aint witty anymore.
  • Options
    Like Blagsta has said, and to simplify it, fundamentalism (at least in a modern understanding) is those who take a literal view of their holy book (by the bible, Torah or Koran) and who see it as the undeniable and final truth.

Those who attempt to justify evil acts because there is a single passage (or sometimes, a single sentence :rolleyes: ) allegedly written by some bloke or other (though god was 'writing through them' so that's alright :rolleyes: ) in the holy book in question.

Fundamentalism, from all major religions in the world, is to be blamed for most of the ills of this world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Is this your normal throwaway line when confronted with something you quite clearly do not understand. How many times have I heard you utter this dross while you are on the ropes?

It's tired, cliched and it aint witty anymore.
    Your record speaks for itself. I have no intention of attempting to enter discussion with you.
  • Options
    Your problem appears to be lack of critical thought.
    QED. I disagree with you so it must be because I lack critical thought. Is that the logic?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Like Blagsta has said, and to simplify it, fundamentalism (at least in a modern understanding) is those who take a literal view of their holy book (by the bible, Torah or Koran) and who see it as the undeniable and final truth.

Those who attempt to justify evil acts because there is a single passage (or sometimes, a single sentence :rolleyes: ) allegedly written by some bloke or other (though god was 'writing through them' so that's alright :rolleyes: ) in the holy book in question.

Fundamentalism, from all major religions in the world, is to be blamed for most of the ills of this world.
    Do you want to justify any of that or just continue the tirade?
  • Options

OMG! You're like so fucking cool!!!!11!!! I wanna be like you when I grow up!!!1!!!1!!

You have it with leading discussions to a literal playground-level.

On the matter - when it comes to fundementalism I have always had the impression that fudamentalists are people who believe the concrete wording of their holy book (bible/koran/communist manifest/Guardian/etc.) without leaving place for interpretation.