Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this lump supposed to be here?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No doubt with everyone saying to check yourself for lumps... whenever somebody finds a lump they panic.

Thing is most the time it's just a little swelling, a bite or suposed to be there all along.

Thing is I would have noticed this one. It's on my neck/chin.

To describe where it is, the very 'point' of my chin...then go back about 2 inches.

It's sore but I don't think it was before I noticed it. I played with it a bit tryign to figure out what is was so it's probably sore because of that.

Is it supposed to be there?

And no, it's not my adam's apple! >_<

Comments

• Options
    It could be your glands - it's possible for one to be more prominent than the other if you're run down. To be honest, though, there are loads of things this could be - many of them harmless. I'd see your doctor to be on the safe side - or call:

NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

:)
  • Options
    Thank You Gorgeous moderator :)
  • Options
    Sounds like a spot but spanner is right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Sounds like a spot but spanner is right.
    No, you know how you move the layers of skin around the spot moves with it but this is BELOW the skin -- within the actual flesh.

God I don't want to have it removed if I 'angered' it and have a nasty scar!! :'(
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking you have glands in your armpits? what glands are they? I have a small lump there, didn't occur to me that it could be a gland, I have had a bit of a stressful week...
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    Am I right in thinking you have glands in your armpits? what glands are they? I have a small lump there, didn't occur to me that it could be a gland, I have had a bit of a stressful week...

I get that quite a lot, particularly when i've cut myself shaving or before my period. Yes you do have glands there and they do get swollen sometimes. Not that it's necessarily that, before someone shoots me down for diagnosing!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Yes you do have glands there and they do get swollen sometimes. Not that it's necessarily that, before someone shoots me down for diagnosing!

Yeah sometimes i get that in my armpitt's too, it aches and is quite sore, i got told once it was just swollen glands and it can happen from time to time so i always just assume it is that now, it goes away after a couple of days.

But if you are worried then seeing a doctor is obviously the best option.
  • Options
    It;s not worryin me as such, it's just slightly unusual. noone's yet come up with anything worrying, so i'll be happy with jus leaving it a day or two and if it doesn't go, then i'll start to worry.
  • Options
    Yeah tis your sweat gland.

My mate's dad said this one on my neck/chin is a cyst. What's one of those?

BTW what part of bucks you from?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Davy

It's a lump full of crap basically.
  • Options
    Hi Davy,

i was the exact same as you about 2 months ago - whenever i tilted my head to the side, i could feel something just wasn't right - so i would straighten my head, and have a feel, nothing was there - so i just ignored it.........

this has prob been there for over a year - then, once when i tiled my head, i had a prod around whilst my head was tilted, and i could feel this lump - it kind of "rolled" with my thumb when i prodded it.........

So, i went to the doctors, the doctor couldn't feel it i dont think, but she never let on - she kept saying, as there is ongoing infection with your ear, its hard to tell (i did have an ear infection, but i knew this had nothing to do with it) - anyhow, once the ear infection cleared up, i went back.....and i annoyed the doctor about this for well over a month!

I got a blood test - this was to check for increased blood counts (rendegin it possibly a virus) and an inflamattory test........these came back as ok - which i thought was a bad thing..........

So, i went back to the doctors, and she got me an urgent ultrasound - had that, and it came back as clear :confused:

I also had a lengthy discussion with ehr about what the blood test means etc - and basically, she thought that if the blood count was odd, or the inflammatory test odd, then there may have been something else to worry about - but she gave me the ultrasound anyway.........

Anyhow, after all this, and in conclusion - every test i have had has came back as clear, and the lumps arent getting any bigger - so im leaving it be with that.......

They werent sore, but like you say, the more yuo prod with them, the sorer they become, and the more aware you are of them.......dont prod too much, as you wont know if they get bigger or not.........

Defo go see your GP, even if just for peace of mind........

Neil
  • Options
    Originally posted by Davy

that's savvy then!

Aylesbury-mid bucks, altho i'm not there atm. at uni in Leeds. wat part of berks u from?
  • Options
    Also, the lymph nodes(glands) are in your arm pits, and you can get a 2 types of cancer, hodgkinsons and non hodgkinsons lymphoma or something like that.
    Really not meaning to scare anybody but be aware. A girl my mum worked with had it and shes only 22, but its got a very high recovery rate.
  • Options
    well it seems to have gone down. don;t want a cancer scare, my dad's got it atm! I'll forget about it till after the weekend then get it checked out monday if it's still there.
  • Options
    Will go docs soon...

I'm from Slough. That's...erm...somewhere in Berks jus dno which part! Right next to Windsor :)
  • Options
    It;s not too far from the Bucks border at all.