Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Street Charity (half rant)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i figured this would be the right place to put this so i could get some views on what other people think

now i work in the high street of a not particuarly bustling or large town, however everytime i leave my work on lunch or whatever at least 3 times a week there are several charitys out there and i get asked by everyone down the road, what really irritates me is that they actually try and make you feel guilty if you dont sign up.i have two charitys i give to by direct debit every month (R.S.P.S.A and marie curie) so im not a particularly stingy person or some sort of scrooge with no social conciense, but i do feel bullied into signing up. now there mostly students and they do get commision on when they sign someone up which is another reason i wont give, they have no passion for the charity and are only in it for themselves, id happily give to the poppy fund or the salvation army etc when it is one man out there with a tin with no pressure.

the point im trying to make is, should this be allowed? when you cant walk down the high street without being stopped or being made to feel bad or guilty for not talking to them when in all honesty i dont make a lot of money and i dont need to be hassled during my breaks, if i want to give to charity i will but not through bully boy tactics.

grrr :mad:

Comments

• Options
    totally agree. pisses me off too.

as a rule i don't give to any charity that can afford to pay street collectors £8 an hour.
  • Options
    Do they really get commision? that's disgraceful, (is there supposed to be an 'e' in that one Kentish?) I don't mind being asked about charities and stuff, but if they don't shut up when I say so (though in nicer terms than that) I'll be a little annoyed.
  • Options
    Amenesty International: We dont try and make you feel guilty but as a woman i think its more important as its so degrading for women to be in these jails

£8 an hour? thats sickening, thats more than i get
  • Options
    We had a guy come round our uni house on commission from Action for Blind People or some such, trying to tell us that his commission didn't deprive the charity of funds because they had a budget set aside for 'marketing' which they "have to" spend on advertising and campaigning each year.

Give money to whichever charity or organisation you feel strongly in favour of. Don't give money through guilt in the High Street if you don't want to. Just say "No Thank you" and walk on.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    (is there supposed to be an 'e' in that one Kentish?)
    You're learning ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    You're learning ;)

:yeees: gimp.
  • Options
    I think they get sacked though if they don't sign enough people up...

Anyway I agree, I’d much rather give by just giving some money to one person with a tin rather than someone pressuring me into signing up.

I guess the charities do it because it raises money for them that helps them carry on with their work.

Kinda on the same lines I’ve often thought the NSPCC spends too much on advertising but I’m sure they’d argue that their advertising gets them more in donations.
  • Options
    :yeees: gimp.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    :rolleyes:

;)
  • Options
    ;)
    :cool:
  • Options
    The large charities (Greenpeace, RSPCA, NSPCC et al) contract in outside agencies to do fundraising. These agencies pay people £8 an hour to stand in the streets getting people to sign up for Direct Debit contributions, and each day they "represent" a different charity. If the agency is paying £8 an hour, how much is it receiving, is what I ask.

If a charity can afford to pay agencies to do this then it doesn't need my money. It's why I don't give to Amnesty or Oxfam in particular- they can pay their Chief Eexecutive a significant wedge of money (well over £75k pa) so they don't need my cash.

Especially when you see charities such as CHUF in Newcastle being pathetically grateful that Tim Healy agreed to be their patron.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Yeah it irritates me to no end

I especially cannot stand Big Issue sellers

edited to add: :);):D:o :cool: etc etc, because threads are for smileys

why?
  • Options
    I got cold called by a charity the other day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The large charities (Greenpeace, RSPCA, NSPCC et al) contract in outside agencies to do fundraising. These agencies pay people £8 an hour to stand in the streets getting people to sign up for Direct Debit contributions, and each day they "represent" a different charity. If the agency is paying £8 an hour, how much is it receiving, is what I ask.

If a charity can afford to pay agencies to do this then it doesn't need my money. It's why I don't give to Amnesty or Oxfam in particular- they can pay their Chief Eexecutive a significant wedge of money (well over £75k pa) so they don't need my cash.

Especially when you see charities such as CHUF in Newcastle being pathetically grateful that Tim Healy agreed to be their patron.

The agencies generally get paid nearly double the amount they pay their 'employees'
  • Options
    i hate all the bastard charity muggers as well. :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    The agencies generally get paid nearly double the amount they pay their 'employees'

Exactly.

What also has pissed me off greatly recently is the Briotish Legion advertising the Poppy Appeal everywhere. I take great issue with the strapline "YTour chance to say thank you", but that isn't my point.

If that charity can afford to tens of millions of pounds on advertising something that everyone knows about anyway, it doesn't need mine, or anybody else's money.
  • Options
    its disgusting that even in a small town like mine you cant walk down the street without big issue, market research or these charities making you feel rude and like a right stinge

i would hate to work in a bigger town or city, in Portsmouth they have them all the time, even buddhist monks or insecnce (sp?) sellers who would like a donation. they can fuck off and get a real job imo
  • Options
    except it's against their religion?
  • Options
    except it's against their religion?

probably!

i bet being a street charity person aint half bad, most people are too embarrased to be rude to them, however from now on i will be rude as i cant be assed being hassled for money everyday
  • Options
    my previous post on this subject:

Common misconceptions, its actually a very good way to give. The employee is paid for by the agency not the charity. The charity pays the agency for each donor signed up. This money comes from the charities marketing budget a sum which would normally spent on those envelopes that come through your door or media advertising.

The charity therefore achieves a guaranteed donation for its money rather than relying on the hope that people will respond to other paid for advertising. This is all regulated by the Charity Commission to make sure its not abused.

The other advantages are being able to budget more accurately as you have a regular income coming in by DD. Plus if the donor is giving from a taxable income the charity can claim back the tax under the government's Gift Aid scheme, giving it extra income. It is unable to do this with anonymous donations.

If you think the concept is good but still don't like chuggers you can always contact the charity direct and they will send you a form
  • Options
    Yes, these people bug me too. I used to get away with saying 'sorry, I'm only 16/17' because I once decided to stop for one of them, only to receive the whole selling patter and then be told I had to be over 18 to give money, which I wasn't.

But then I turned 18 so couldn't use it any more. One guy actually even stopped me even though I said I was 17, and then asked if I could give something like £15 a month! My response was something like "did you not just hear me say I'm 17? How the hell am I gonna give you £15 a month? And even if I did, it wouldn't be my money, it'd be my parents' so what's the point? Why not just ask them?"

Now I'm old enough I do want to give money to charity regularly, but I want to wait until I'm earning my own money as I still live on a parental allowance and student loan, plus a little from my part time job. My parents already give fuckloads of money to charity, they don't need me to start giving their money away as well and then asking them to bail me out when I've overspent.
  • Options
    Walking long with an indifferent facial expressions, without looking at them, and being focused on somewhere further along, always helps in avoiding them approaching you. Always.
  • Options
    The best approach is simply to punch in the face anyone who tries to make eye contact on the street whilst holding a clipboard.

;)
  • Options
    because they'll do a dance around and not let you past until you've either bought one or told them to fuck off

they're rude

I find most Issue sellers to be polite.
    and the last time I bought one the guy had a whopping gold ring on his finger

So?
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking its illegal for these charities to actually stop you and ask you to donate (the ones who sell the badges for a pound) ? Thats what someone told me ages ago, but idnt know if it was against the law.
  • Options
    It's not illegal to stop you, no. Or not that I'm aware of, and if it is it's probably a stupid and archaic law.

Most Big Issue sellers are polite and funny people who are very reasonable. One or two are not, but that's just individual morons rather than the class of them. And I don't buy from them, and I have said before that I don't buy from rude people, and that shut them up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    So?

If someone has the cash to own and wear a gold ring, they don't need my help.

I think that was the point rachie was making.
  • Options
    If someone has the cash to own and wear a gold ring, they don't need my help.

I think that was the point rachie was making.

Thing is that the gold-ring could be an inheritance or something with an affectionate value.
    If he is covered in bling-bling though, then I understand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Thing is that the gold-ring could be an inheritance or something with an affectionate value.
    If he is covered in bling-bling though, then I understand.

If it had emotional value, i wouldn't be wearing it.
  • Options
    How do you know that???
  • Options
    If it had emotional value, i wouldn't be wearing it.

The only jewellery I wear (and I really do keep it down to a minimum) is what has a personal value to me.