Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hate Politics? You're not alone...

I find myself increasingly getting bored of politics. I used to be fascinated by it. Not anymore. The debates here about political topics are, frankly, boring the hell out of me. Perhaps my apathy is part of a wider disillusionment with the political process, I don't know. What do you think of politics in general? Are you still fascinated by long drawn out political debate? Or are you, like me, starting to get rather fed-up of it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think I will explain my opinion a little further. Most of the people on this website tend to be in their teenage years or in their 20s. Nowadays, it seems to me the only issues that get younger people fired up are issues that solely concern them, like student tuition fees for example. Very few issues get people fired up anymore. People are not completely turned off politics - look at the mast protests during the Iraq war.
    iraq_protest_trim.jpg
    Protests in London in 2003
  • Options
    And then of course, there is the changing nature of society. In the past, it could be said there were clear left-wing and right-wing visions for the world. I don't think that this applies so strongly anymore. Hence possibly the reason why political parties go out of their way to get hold of voters from the so-called "centre ground" - those who hold views that are neither left-wing or right-wing. I do not understand it - we all want the same things. A clean environment, the right to get on with our lives without fearing that you'll be mugged or worse, the right to live in a house without fearing you'll be burgled...
  • Options
    Everything is political.
  • Options
    Why would anybody become bored with politics?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    your definitley right mate.... most of us dont like politics... i think because it makes ernermies.
    So why post here lukesh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Everything is political.

Exactly.

I'm not bored with politics, I find myself bored with people using the same old arguments about things they disagree with. Personally I am enjoying the current political climate because a lot of things are going 'my way'.

Whilst I don't actively support the Labour Party they've not done anything I can think of off the top of my head that I have disagreed with majorly. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Whilst I don't actively support the Labour Party they've not done anything I can think of off the top of my head that I have disagreed with majorly. :)
    The occupation of Iraq perhaps?
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    The occupation of Iraq perhaps?

I don't have an opinion either way to be honest. I can see why people condemn it and I can see why people might support it. I'm undecided. :-)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't have an opinion either way to be honest. I can see why people condemn it and I can see why people might support it. I'm undecided. :-)
    It's all about oil stoopid :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    It's all about oil stoopid :)

It isn't that I don't know anything about it, I've followed it all on the news and in the papers, I just don't actively condemn it but nor do I support it.
  • Options
    no, you like labour because you think it makes you look working class.
  • Options
    Anyone who is bored of "politics" is braindead.

Take that as you may.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Anyone who is bored of "politics" is braindead.

Take that as you may.

but not all brain dead people are bored of politics,

they might say they are [bored], but they keep on coming back for more

damn im subtle
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mushroom Boy

I don't need to 'look' working class. But that isn't the point. I don't actively support Labour - I'm a member of another political party. Who are you anyway and what gives you the right to make such a value judgement based on what I've said in this thread?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mushroom Boy

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Personally always preferred the flat cap and donkey jacket combo to look working class :p
  • Options
    So, are you saying that if you are a supporter of the Labour Party, one must wear clothing to reflect that? No doubt that the clothes would have to have Blair's face on them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    So, are you saying that if you are a supporter of the Labour Party, one must wear clothing to reflect that? No doubt that the clothes would have to have Blair's face on them.

I was joking, hence the smiley.
  • Options
    i'm not sure, i still like politics and all but i've started reading some existentialist works by sartre and co, i started reading on absurdism and all that, i've become really dissillusioned with everything lately, life seems like a game now, so weird.
  • Options
    I keep holding out for a hero...a good person who went into politics to do good. I guess, overall, the Western government works and a certain amount of shady efforts and honest efforts work themselves out. But in the US I thought: There's over 280 million people...and those two are the best candidates we can come up with.:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by bluestatesman
    I keep holding out for a hero...a good person who went into politics to do good. I guess, overall, the Western government works and a certain amount of shady efforts and honest efforts work themselves out. But in the US I thought: There's over 280 million people...and those two are the best candidates we can come up with.:crazyeyes

i hate to say it, but in the US i am dismayed that there is two things that 280 million people cant do often, and while it has happened it needs to happen more often

1) simply find a good man/woman amongst them
    2) elect them