Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how long does it take for the pill to kick in?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
howdy all

just a concern, i started the pill exactly 3 weeks ago (microgynon 30)so i have a week left of pills......i had sex tonite with my bf who just came home from uni, and just wondering do u think i will be covered? or should i take morning after pill as a precaution?!

i know if u start the pill on the day of ur first period then ur covered immediately, but i started it on the 3rd day of my period.....do u think this makes a difference?

bit worried now...

Comments

• Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    If you're still worried about this there are two ways to be sure about the whys and whens of the effectivness of your particular pill. First off, if you read the instuctions in your pill packet it will outline how best to take it and when it's effective. Or you can talk to whoever provided your pill.

If niether of these options are giving you the answers you need you can talk to a nurse on the fpa helpline on 0845 310 1334.

Hope this helps,
    CB
  • Options
    I've always been told that if you start it on the first day of your period your protected straight away, and if you take it at another point in your cycle you have to wait 7 days for the pill to kick in and work, so there for use alternitive contraception throughout that week.
  • Options
    Re: how long does it take for the pill to kick in?
    Originally posted by superstar_1
    i know if u start the pill on the day of ur first period then ur covered immediately, but i started it on the 3rd day of my period.....do u think this makes a difference?

bit worried now...

Have you read the leaflet carefully? I remember the Microgynon leaflet being very thorough about these things.

Well, I think that if you don't start on the first day of your period then you have to wait 7 days until you're covered, BUT don't quote me on that if you get pregnant! The number ClaireBear gave you should be able to help.

If you go to the doctor to ask about it and they decide you're not protected properly, then they can prescribe the MAP for you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    you started taking it 3 weeks ago yet have a week of pills left?

What? If my memory serves me correctly there were only 21 days worth of pills in the packet

oooh whoops my bad, completely miss looked at what pills i'd taken, so i'm now starting the 3rd week of pills....so really been on it bout 2 weeks. Do u reckon that makes a difference?
  • Options
    When I went on the pill I was told to use extra protection in the first 7days of taking it, and I was on microgynon. So you should be fine if you've been taking it for two weeks.