Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ID Cards: "it's just like a supermarket loyalty card!"

Mein Fuhrer Blunkett really is determined to create his Orwellian state, and he will stop at nothing to get it.

What a prize cunt.

Story.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do we get points every time a copper does a check on us?

Can we buy state-sponsored goods with them?

I do despair at the patronising twats...
  • Options
    and also, theyre entirely voluntary....

i dont own any storecards... and if wanted one, i dont have to pay for it
  • Options
    Kermit,

Is the reason for your opposition to Blunkett's ID card idea because you feel it an infringement of civil liberties? If that’s the case is it not therefore a tad hypocritical that you support banning smoking in public? I’d say the government interfering in the affairs of pubs, restaurants and cafes and telling people what they can do in privately owned establishments is a pretty big step towards an Orwellian state…

Or do you only support totalitarian policies when they suit your own personal agenda?
  • Options
    I shall address the smoking point in the other thread.

An ID card is an infingement of the right to a private life.
  • Options
    Thanks. :p
  • Options
    I have no objection to an ID card in principle, but I would like to know what information is stored and by whom.

And I think it's actually a valid comparison - it's amazing how many companies and agencies are able to get hold of your address. I get junk mail at my uni house (which I have been in 10 weeks) when only the DVLA and DirectLine insurance have that address. I don't give it out.

I certainly wouldn't pay for the privilege of holding an ID card though.
  • Options
    Blunkett is just a small gear in the state machine. But those 80%…
    Did you notice that all new laws that push your country toward totalitarianism and the police state always have huge public support?
    Sigh…
    When will you smart British liberals understand what democracy is? Not before you find yourself behind bars I think…
  • Options
    ID cards are pointless anyway.

They won’t stop terrorists; they can already replicate passports, birth certificates, driving licenses, etc so they’ll have no problem forging ID cards. Ditto for criminals smuggling illegal immigrants.

I really don’t think ID cards would work. And what safeguards would there be to stop information being illegally sold/leaked?
  • Options
    man, they keep trying that shit over here, too!!! fight it with all your might. you give these guys an inch, fuck a mile, they'll take everything!!!

ben franklin said, "they who surrender freedom in the name of security deserve neither."
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

An ID card is an infingement of the right to a private life.

A police officer has the lawful power to ask of your name and address and for appropriate ID if he believes you have, or may in the near future commit an offence.

He may also ask of your name and address if you are in a section 30 dispersal area, or section 60 search area without suspecting you of commiting an offence.

If at any time you refuse the details you are arrested and can be held until your identity becomes known or you are charged with the appropriate offence.
    People who carry on refusing details suddenly find their bail is refused and they end up languishing in prison until their court date.

So tell me this, how would having an ID card change your life? It would store less information than a store card, and about as much information as a driver's licence, which if you drive you have to carry with you anyway.
    Your arguments about civil liberties make no sense when given your surname I could probably find out your address, date of birth, bank details, wether you own a car, what sort of car it is e.t.c. with the powers and equipment I already have.
    It's something I've done countless times to people on the street who challenge me to find out who they are.

Having an ID card won't make any difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    A police officer has the lawful power to ask of your name and address and for appropriate ID if he believes you have, or may in the near future commit an offence.

He may also ask of your name and address if you are in a section 30 dispersal area, or section 60 search area without suspecting you of commiting an offence.

If at any time you refuse the details you are arrested and can be held until your identity becomes known or you are charged with the appropriate offence.
    People who carry on refusing details suddenly find their bail is refused and they end up languishing in prison until their court date.

So tell me this, how would having an ID card change your life? It would store less information than a store card, and about as much information as a driver's licence, which if you drive you have to carry with you anyway.
    Your arguments about civil liberties make no sense when given your surname I could probably find out your address, date of birth, bank details, wether you own a car, what sort of car it is e.t.c. with the powers and equipment I already have.
    It's something I've done countless times to people on the street who challenge me to find out who they are.

Having an ID card won't make any difference.

because it isnt optional, its a waste of money, both to the government directly, and to use in terms of increased costs, and it wont stop anything they say it will ie illegal immigrants wil still do scummy underpaid jobs as employers do this already, organised crime will find a way to forge them and thus it wont stop terroism, and the government will abuse them, so in all theyre pointless other than to put us regular civilians under even more control of the government

you have far too much trus in the police and government, i do trust them but not THAT MUCH

i have a right to a private life you know
  • Options
    Are you a spy?!?
    *ZAP!*
    ARE YOU A SPY ?!?!?!?!
    *ZAAAP!!!*

the new interview strategy for a job at the home office :D

seriously the guy really does creep me out, he has absolutely no conception of the idea of public privacy and also seems to regard many areas of the american socio-state as a model which we should follow :eek2:

like zero tolerance on ...everything
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

i have a right to a private life you know

My point is that your life will still remain private.
    Like I said, the government already knows a huge amount about you, and already has legal powers to search your bank records, email records and telephone records.

Putting some of this information on a small plastic card won't make it any easier or harder for them to track you down, but will make things easier for us.
    At the moment, to get a mortgage I've had to sign about 300 pieces of paper, send of birth certificates, passport, driver's licence and 1 years worth of payslips and P60's.
    It would have saved so much hassle if I could just have let them use my ID card and scan it through a little machine which would confirm who I am, what my occupation is and that I can afford the repayments.

As for the government spying on you, trust me, they don't. No offence but unless you're actually doing something serious like running a terrorist organisation they don't give a shit about you or what you do.
  • Options
    My point is that your life will still remain private.
    Like I said, the government already knows a huge amount about you, and already has legal powers to search your bank records, email records and telephone records.

Putting some of this information on a small plastic card won't make it any easier or harder for them to track you down, but will make things easier for us.
    At the moment, to get a mortgage I've had to sign about 300 pieces of paper, send of birth certificates, passport, driver's licence and 1 years worth of payslips and P60's.
    It would have saved so much hassle if I could just have let them use my ID card and scan it through a little machine which would confirm who I am, what my occupation is and that I can afford the repayments.

As for the government spying on you, trust me, they don't. No offence but unless you're actually doing something serious like running a terrorist organisation they don't give a shit about you or what you do.

yes they have rights to check things like bank details if they can prove theres a chance you may have done a crime, but thats proving your guillt, an ID card suggest we have to prove our innocence which is bloody scary thought

im quite allowed to distrust the government all part of democracy you know

you might like an ID card, get one done then! i dont want one thank you very much, thats the thing theyre not optional you know

and theyre a waste of money too, if you didnt notice that too
  • Options
    ok so i have 789 points on my card, do i claim them now and get my very own anti terror squad, or do i run another couple of red lights or streak in front of a cctv camera to earn the extra points to get them equipped with semtex and stella artois
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    yes they have rights to check things like bank details if they can prove theres a chance you may have done a crime, but thats proving your guillt, an ID card suggest we have to prove our innocence which is bloody scary thought

Why?
    Why does it involve anything about innocence or guilt?

Having a card on you doesn't make you any more likely or unlikely to be assumed to be guilty does it.
    Say I'm the policeman, just stopped you in the area where there has just been a burglary.
    You match the description, but because I didn't see you do it I may decide to take your details and arrest you another time.
    To do this I check your name. IF you refuse your details I may decide you have something to hide and will arrest you on the spot.
    Something I am perfectly entitled to do. All the ID card would do is help me verify your identity, and help you prove your identity.

It wouldn't alter how likely it is that you're arrested, it just makes the process a bit smoother.

Think about how many times in a day you may need some form of ID. Think how easier it would be if it was just in one card combined with your switch/credit card as well.
  • Options
    Why?
    Why does it involve anything about innocence or guilt?

Having a card on you doesn't make you any more likely or unlikely to be assumed to be guilty does it.
    Say I'm the policeman, just stopped you in the area where there has just been a burglary.
    You match the description, but because I didn't see you do it I may decide to take your details and arrest you another time.
    To do this I check your name. IF you refuse your details I may decide you have something to hide and will arrest you on the spot.
    Something I am perfectly entitled to do. All the ID card would do is help me verify your identity, and help you prove your identity.

It wouldn't alter how likely it is that you're arrested, it just makes the process a bit smoother.

Think about how many times in a day you may need some form of ID. Think how easier it would be if it was just in one card combined with your switch/credit card as well.

erm the fact is theyre pointless... havent you got that point?

explain one good use of them to justify less civil liberites and over £3 billion......
  • Options
    Exactly what I'm thinking if they won't make any difference to our lives, why will be required to have one.

And seeing as our terrorists have tended to be British citizens won't they have ID cards already?

And if the police are concerned with identification, why do they sometimes hide theirs ie on demos? ;)
  • Options
    I only want one because it saves me carrying a wallet full of cards around with me.

As for the "why do police hide id" iot's to prevent reprisals.
  • Options
    Hmm just like supermarket loyalty cards eh?

Aren't loyalty cards used to spy on us? Aren't they used to identfiy our purchasing habits, how much we spend per vists, what we buy, how far we travel to each supermarket etc

Well, thanks that sound ike a great selling point for us then...

BTW The civil liberty issue is nothing like a smoking ban. The ban would only apply in public and you can still indulge in other places. You still have the liberty to smoke, just not everywhere, therefoire you have a choice.

Oh, and I smoke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    how far we travel to each supermarket etc
    Yikes. Tesco thinks I travel 300 miles to the supermarket :lol: