Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long distence.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Been done before, but many new people or opinions have changed so i'd like fresh ones.

I just want your opinion.. Do you think they can work?

For example I am spending sunday night (late at night when i get home) - Friday morning in essex (where i live) and friday - sunday around my gf's

I am just curious do you think this can work? it's not to far travel, 1hr 30min by car, but 3hours by train.. so it's not to bad bad as by the time they drive down and back its 3hours,

so do you think they can work?

Also, has anyone here been in a simular circemstances than me? I think when I start driving it will be alot easier but atm it

Comments

• Options
    IMHO i just got out of a R'ship and he lived an hour and 30mins away by train and when we argued and we wanted to 'make up' we couldnt coz it would take like an hour and a half to get to eachother... so annoying... it depends really though thats just in my experience, i will only be dating people not too far from me from now on, and also when we planned to move in together, it was a case of, which area coz i liked mine and he liked his... so it can cause problems depending on where or how far into a R'ship you are. :D
  • Options
    I have never been in a long distance relationship, but i know from friends and stuff that they can be quite hard, but also can work well if both party's put the effort in to see each other, keep in regular contact in between visits etc. If you and your girlfriend are both prepared for this then i don't see why it couldn't stand as much chance as any other relationship.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pan_chan_boo
    As long as the people involved arnt stupid about it, im pretty sure it can work.

I had a friend who dated a guy over the internet, she was stupid though, annoying too, she thought the whole world revolved around her and hated her, one of them "Iv got it worse than anyone else could ever have" types. Or the "what i do is cool and who doesnt do it is stupid" types, You get the idea thought.

Any way she was dating this guy over the internet, txted him, saw him on web cam, spoke on the phone, and had become all intimate over the phone in less than 2 weeks (She was 16 and never really had a boyfriend before)

This poor guy (who we tried to warn about her) Decided he was going to meet her, he spent £70 on a train ticket, and then payed out for a hotel room for 2 nights, so he could see her, plus she wanted to loose her viginity to him in this hotel.

After their whole intimate "your my sun and im your moon and stars" "in love" with each other effort, she met him, and dumped him within 5 mins of meeting him in person. How ungreatful.

Do you know why they dumped each other?

Well I have meet my current gf, been friends for months before.. 6-7months close friends.. distence is super large and not to costly, I can do it every week but would be skint, but is well worth it,

thanks for the horror story Poo chan, I was actually worried that would happen to me with people i meet on the net.. :( but it didn't so.... :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have done long distance and it worked for me.

My friend did one from Scotland to Belfast and it worked for her.

Dave has friends who did it from England - USA and they are happily married now.

As long as both parties give and take and willing to make it work then it can work.
  • Options
    they can work, but to be honest it's a lot harder than a relationship where you can see them whenever you like.

you'll both get very lonely, very frustrated and very poor (i found out a couple of months ago that mr. kaff sold his playstation 2 because otherwise he couldn't afford the coach tickets to come see me <3 ) but yeah, it CAN work.

that's not to say it will though. i wouldn't have put up with it for very long if i didn't think that it would work out in the long term. and because i knew that at some point we would be able to move nearer.

there's also the trust issue. they could be doing anything behind your back and you wouldn't know. i found that quite hard to deal with. and also, when you are so far apart, you seem to have totally different lives, and it's quite hard to relate to each other.

and i think when you spend a lot of time missing someone, you can overestimate how much you actually care for them. i know people who that's happened to. because they weren't together often, they pined all the time, but when they were together for more than a couple of weeks at a time, they realised that they didn't actually like each other that much.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight.. I know a couple that are now married and met on the net.

Well I am spending christmas up there and she is coming back down with me 2/3days after new years day and spending my b-day with me down here :) So i'm glad bout that, I suppose it could be the decider as it's like, 3-4weeks together non stop, so.. it'll prove if we can cope with each other but 3/7days of the week we seem to be able to do, I do hope it works,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I know a couple that are now married and met on the net.
    How interesting to see the Internet can help to bring people together in such a way. I'm going to meet someone that I have met online to spend a few days over New Year with them. I'm looking forward to it. But nice to see this couple found happiness together. :)
  • Options
    I have been in a long distance relationship for 1 year and 8 months today and it seams to be working out fine between us. It takes me over 10 hours by bus to go see him. I just got back from his yesterday after spending the weekend with him and altough it hard its worth it becuase I love him so much. Hopefully after we have finished college I am moving down to his and we are getting a place together. Anyway it can work if you put the effort in.
  • Options
    well mine has worked for a year and 6 months :) im living proof :)
  • Options
    My boyfriend lives half hour away on the train and that does my head in so much, I dunno how I'd cope if it was more.
  • Options
    they're more work but they are worth it if you are prepared to put it in.

kaffrin is pretty much spot-on with what she said.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pan_chan_boo
    Internet can be great, but it can also be very, very stupid ¬_¬

:yes: very true..
  • Options
    The tinternet is no worse than real life. It's no better, either.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    I've done the long distance relationship thing and I definitely think that it's possible for it to work, but it's something that each person in the relationship has to really want in order for that to happen. The casual relationship, as far as I'm concerned, isn't going to last long distance. You have to have a serious commitment in order to make it happen.
  • Options
    Re: Long distence.
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Been done before, but many new people or opinions have changed so i'd like fresh ones.

I just want your opinion.. Do you think they can work?

For example I am spending sunday night (late at night when i get home) - Friday morning in essex (where i live) and friday - sunday around my gf's

I am just curious do you think this can work? it's not to far travel, 1hr 30min by car, but 3hours by train.. so it's not to bad bad as by the time they drive down and back its 3hours,

so do you think they can work?

Also, has anyone here been in a simular circemstances than me? I think when I start driving it will be alot easier but atm it

Why does it take longer by train than it does by car? That's a bit weird.

Well regardless of that, my boyfriend is at uni in Leeds while I'm in Edinburgh, and we see each other on average every other weekend. We're working out fine. However, we're both 20 and have been together for two years in total (with a 6 month break along the way) so it's a bit different. You're what, 16? I don't think I could have handled a long distance relationship at that age when I wasn't anywhere near used to having a serious boyfriend.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Long distence.
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone

Well regardless of that, my boyfriend is at uni in Leeds while I'm in Edinburgh, and we see each other on average every other weekend. We're working out fine. However, we're both 20 and have been together for two years in total (with a 6 month break along the way) so it's a bit different. You're what, 16? I don't think I could have handled a long distance relationship at that age when I wasn't anywhere near used to having a serious boyfriend.

it's longer because when they drive its m25 and A12mainly but i have to travel through london on the train
  • Options
    I started one of these threads before :D

Ive now been in a 10 month relationship with my bloke. We've had more ups n downs than a yoyo!

So much has happened tht has come close to splitting us up. We're going through our 'trust' faze atm, think tht unless u aint together properly, there will always be dilemas n with the distance its always hard to sort things out.

I think tht if this relationship goes down hill i will never have a long distance again. Its hard work, very costly n u sure as hell find it hard seeing ur mates with their partners, i get very envious n sometimes jelous.

It also means one of u giving up your whole life and starting a new if u move in together and at 17 i dont think im ready for tht just yet.

XxX
  • Options
    The relationship I am in now was long distance for a while. It worked because it had to. We made it work. It took a lot of effort but it was more than worth it everytime I saw him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mushroom Boy
    they're more work but they are worth it if you are prepared to put it in.

kaffrin is pretty much spot-on with what she said.

:yes: yep, seconded.

After my boyfriend graduated only about 3 months after we met we were doing the long distance thing for 3 years - mostly from Bristol/Bath to London, but it was London to Hanover while I did me year abroad.

It could be very difficult not seeing him very often - especially when I was in Germany - but we got through it, and 3 years later I graduated at last so was able to move to London.

We've now been living together for 5 and a half months :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Yes they can work - I've been with my other half for over a year (less than two - couldn't give u exact days and weeks) and we're 400 miles away from each other

Long distance relationships suck - did I mention that

The relationships don't suck! Well, I'd hope not. It's the fact that they're long distance which sucks. It's important not to confuse the two ;)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Long distence.

leeds - coventry is longer by train too. it's cause the direct line only runs twice a day, and at stupid times, so normally you have to go to brum and then turn back on yourself. annoying!
  • Options
    I started seeing my boyfriend in June and he lives back home in Manchester, whereas I'm now back at uni. Its hard being apart but we manage to see each other every other weekend. Its just over 2hours apart, won't have to it long as its my final year. My housemate has managed to keep her relationship for the three years we've been at uni, her boyfriend is in Leeds, they see each other every other weekend. So yeah, longdistance relationships do work but they are hard.
  • Options
    i started uni this september so am kinda new to the long distance thing. but even in that time its been hard. we both want to keep it going but just have to see what happens.

guess its not as bad for us since im at uni we can always count down to holidays. dont know what i'd do without hols to break the time up though
  • Options
    My long distance relationship works out fantastically when im actually with my boyfriend but when either of us goes home i never hear from him.

He seldem calls me off his own back, i dont get a txt from him for days at a time & im getting pretty sick n tired of always making the effort to text him or call him, for a starters he gets 500 free minutes to other o2 users where as im on pay as you go. This time ive left it to him to contact me, its now been 4 days : /

Does anyone else have this problem? Surley if ur away from each other u want 2 constantly be in touch, am i making sense?

I cant understand y he wont make the 1st move all the time. He comes down here more often then i go up there but:
    1) He has a car n i dont drive
    2) He earns almost triple what i earn a month
    3) I dont always have free weekends

But when i do get time like half terms etc i will get the train from southampton - birmingham then birmingham - telford (alone)

Is this a two way thing here or am i the only one making this relationship work?

XxX
  • Options
    Originally posted by squishter
    Is this a two way thing here or am i the only one making this relationship work?

XxX

Hmm I gotta admit that if I didn't hear from my boyfriend for four days then I wouldn't be too happy. But it depends on the circumstances - is he working full time? Maybe he's really busy and just forgets - sometimes it genuinely doesn't occur to people to call/text their other halves when they've got a lot on their minds. How long have you been together? And what's it like when you do speak to him? Do you get the impression he's still happy?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    My other half works like 13 hour days - 6 days a week (stupid boy)

yet we still find the time to talk to each other.. even if it's just one text to say hi, I love you, or a quick phone call

Therefore if he suddenly didn't contact you for a few days, you'd be worried. But if he'd just always been like that then you wouldn't get worried because you'd know it was just the way he was.
  • Options
    Hmm I gotta admit that if I didn't hear from my boyfriend for four days then I wouldn't be too happy. But it depends on the circumstances - is he working full time? Maybe he's really busy and just forgets - sometimes it genuinely doesn't occur to people to call/text their other halves when they've got a lot on their minds. How long have you been together? And what's it like when you do speak to him? Do you get the impression he's still happy?

Firstly i have to say tht after last night i couldn't not txt ma boyfriend so i sent a sarcastic txt saying "In case u forgot im alive n well, hope the same goes 4 u"

He txt bk later tht night saying he was ok etc. So i asked him why he had not contacted me in 4 days n how long would i had to have waited to hear from him.

Yes he does work full time n he said he ha been busy but like i said to him it took him a whole 30 seconds to reply 2 ma txt so surely he has 30 seconds to spare in his day where he can at least say "hi hope ur ok bladdy bladdy bla"

We've been together for 10 months now, he used to constantly keep in touch with me n i knew tht we couldnt always keep in touch but i mean after 4 days it does get me thinking "does he still know who i am?"

When we're sat in the same room we talk forever. We have real deep convos n both of us are very dibatable so we tend to have alot of opinions n speak our minds about things. This is why i cant understand not hearing from him or when i do the short messages he sends. He sends things like "yeh" a whole txt wasted on "yeh".

He did however appologise to me today about not contacting me in a while, i just wish he'd phone me more often, i miss his voice n i dont like it how he#s becoming a stranger :(

Do i think he's still happy...? With the distance...no. But in our relationship in general...yes! I just wish there was a way we could be together whenever we wanted.

XxX
  • Options
    Well I suppose I am lucky here,

As we are both Students I have quite a bit of free time to talk to my Gf when I am away, I suppose I also lucky as I get to spend 3out of the 7 days a week at hers,

Anyway thanks for everyones opinions on things..
  • Options
    Sorry to hear Rachie,