Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the next step

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was just wondering, for those of you that have moved in with your boy/girlfriend, how long had you been together?

I ask because i have been with my boyfriend for 1 year and 6 months and in january we plan on renting somewhere together.

Is this too early? I know i feel ready but im a little scared

so yeh, how long were you together before you moved in together?

Comments

• Options
    only a year, but cause it was long-distance we were used to living in each other's pockets for days at a time.

in my experience, living together is a major make-or-break thing for a couple.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    only a year, but cause it was long-distance we were used to living in each other's pockets for days at a time.

in my experience, living together is a major make-or-break thing for a couple.

thanks, we are long distance too and always have been as we met on the net. Therefore i know what its like spending loads of time with him
    im just scared we will get in loads of arguments from being together all the time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    im just scared we will get in loads of arguments from being together all the time.

like i said, it's make-or-break. however much you think you know someone, you find out a whole lot more when you live with them.

you'll either get along like a house on fire and think he's the best thing since sliced bread, or you'll slowly drive each other insane :p

btw, if it's long distance, which one is moving to be with the other? cause in my case, that was the worst part: mr. kaff moved to be with me, and it was really hard for ages, cause he didn't have a job, and all his friends were back doon sooth, and he was a bit all over the place and so being a bit of a grumpy sod. he's cool now though, and knows more people here than me!
  • Options
    straight away!
    I just never really went home, and wed already been sleeping together and living together for quite a while before we kind of decided it was a relationship.
  • Options
    kaffrin- its him who's moving to be with me!

Im in lincoln for uni and he's moving up here ,and we are staying here when i finish uni, so it will be hard for both of us but harder for him. I only know 1 girl from lincoln but we both get on with her well

He has yet to find a new job up here and we will have to find somewhere to rent in june when i finish my second year.
  • Options
    after about 14 months for us. she was having trouble with her uni flatmates, so she came and lived in my house. living in one small room with someone tells you a lot about them.

youll either fall even more in love or youll split up after weeks. have you lived with each other for extended periods before, like on holiday?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mushroom Boy
    after about 14 months for us. she was having trouble with her uni flatmates, so she came and lived in my house. living in one small room with someone tells you a lot about them.

youll either fall even more in love or youll split up after weeks. have you lived with each other for extended periods before, like on holiday?

blimey your making it sound like i have a 50/50 chance of splitting up :nervous:
    the most we have spent together is a week
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We moved in together after about 6 months. We got on really well and almost 6 months later we are still together :)

As it is long distance just now you are used to living out of each others pockets whenever you go and visit or he comes to you so if you thought that it was the wrong thing to do I think you would feel it so it is better than 50-50 IMHO. But as everyone has said, this is the time you get to know him the best - all those niggly habits and stuff :)
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend don't live together soley because we can''t afford to rent anywhere at the moment, well mainly i can't, but he basically lives with me round my house anyway, ie sleeps round most nights of the week comes straight here from work, i cook his dinners every day half his clothes are here etc etc.
    Although it's not a long distance thing he only lives a 5 minute car drive away. We started spending this much time together probably after about a year of our relationship, and when he got a car because it made things so much easier.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    blimey your making it sound like i have a 50/50 chance of splitting up :nervous:
    the most we have spent together is a week

I don't think Mushroom Boy is making it sound quite that bad :lol:

If you already like someone a lot you're a lot of the way to making a living-in relationship work, but you only really know when you move in, because everyone has different ideas of what their house should be like.
  • Options
    Moved in together after 3 months, sounds scary but its great really, cos only got to see him at weekends before that. We are still together 5 months later.
    Was a scary decision, especially since my old housmates don't talk to me anymore, but I know it was the right one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I don't think Mushroom Boy is making it sound quite that bad :lol:

If you already like someone a lot you're a lot of the way to making a living-in relationship work, but you only really know when you move in, because everyone has different ideas of what their house should be like.

isn't he? how do you know!?:p It is one way or the other, like uni will make or break a relationship. If you want to be together, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    isn't he? how do you know!?:p It is one way or the other, like uni will make or break a relationship. If you want to be together, you'll be fine.

well so far we survived long distance and uni

i think we can do it :) still scared though. i dont want use to become boring like an old granny and grandad sitting and watching the weakest link and having dedicated seats.