Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

should i go see a doctor?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okie, so like most people i dont much like to go to the doctor unless i know something's really wrong.

so since i started college doing 5 a-levels i keep getting ill; colds, tiredness, food poisoning, bronchitis etc so i just figured it was the seasons changing/winter taking its toll. but now i haven't had a period in 6 weeks and unless i'm carrying the second child of god, there's no way i know of that i could be pregnant and i'm starting to think it's maybe something more serious.
i'm knackered all the time, fall asleep in lessons, can't concentrate etc. when i had food poisoning my weight went down to 7 stone 12 (im 5 foot 7) but now i've put it all back on (and a bit more...)

bleurgh, so i should go and talk to the doctor right?

Comments

• Options
    yes you should definately go to the docs. This doesn't just sound like it's because winters taking its toll. Are you stressed? Because I'm sure that this makes you more prone to being ill, and will also stop your periods.

I would try and get a docs appointment asap. It's better to be safe than sorry, and I'm sure they see a hell of a lot of people with less symptoms than you.
  • Options
    the thing is, apart from starting at college i haven't really got owt to be stressed about, i just feel like crap all the time and like i'm going to start crying at like the most trivial stuff
  • Options
    Go and see the doctor.
  • Options
    Yep go see the doc-he can check out whats up and its weird what stress can do to you-for me personally it gives me mega spots-great! For others like my mom it can flare up their ibs, hope things go ok-let us know
  • Options
    yeah, definitely go.

for some reason your immune system is not doing it's thang.

illness, weight loss and sudden weight gain can all make your periods stop, so it might be as simple as that, but why the poo are you so ill? yeah, i'd go.
  • Options
    Sounding like stress, see your doctor about it.
  • Options
    Def go to see your doc. Stress doesn't always effect people mentally. I get really stressed but not mentally. It takes it's toll on me physically and i get tired, start to drop weight etc but mentally i'm fine and not particularly too worried about situations.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina
    Def go to see your doc. Stress doesn't always effect people mentally. I get really stressed but not mentally. It takes it's toll on me physically and i get tired, start to drop weight etc but mentally i'm fine and not particularly too worried about situations.

Yeah me too. People always used to remark on how I could be so calm and collected about things like exams, and I thought that I was pretty cool about them too... until I started noticing this trend before every exam that I would feel sick and ill, sometimes even throw up, and always feel tired and generally crap. Yet I wouldn't feel mentally worried at all.

One time when a guy was breaking up with me I had to excuse myself to go to the loo, be sick and then come back and resume the conversation! Stress is a bizarre thing.

I also have a not-quite-healed piercing on my tragus which flares up angrily at times of stress. I'm becoming quite fond of it actually - it's like my left ear really cares about me.
  • Options
    well just as i suspected as soon as i posted that i got my period. when i saw the doctor last, about the bronchitis he didnt seem to link my sudden sicky-ness together so i guess i was just unlucky, i feel loads better today now i'm not worrying bout my period though!
  • Options
    See your GP because it could be an underlying problem. Personally I think it could be a medical problem not linked to stress but then again I'm not a clinician... tell your doctor what you've told us. :)
  • Options
    Re: should i go see a doctor?
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i'm knackered all the time, fall asleep in lessons
    I agree with BumbleBee.
  • Options
    Re: Re: should i go see a doctor?
    Originally posted by Kentish
    I agree with BumbleBee.

I'm flattered! I have to say, you're the first medical student I've come across (bar go_away of course!) who isn't pretentious. Erm, that was an irrelevant aside, sorry!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: should i go see a doctor?
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I'm flattered! I have to say, you're the first medical student I've come across (bar go_away of course!) who isn't pretentious. Erm, that was an irrelevant aside, sorry!
    Do you get many sent from Newcastle?
    I do have plenty of pretentious colleagues :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: should i go see a doctor?
    Do you get many sent from Newcastle?
    I do have plenty of pretentious colleagues :(

We have a few in the surgery from time to time, and sadly most of them think they're wonderful and look down on us with only admin responsibilities. It's a great shame really as these are the people who say they go into medicine to 'help people' when really they really want the status and the cash!

I'm not a great fan of medical students in general, which is why I like reading your posts on here as you seem to have a wonderful attitude and don't start issuing inappropriate advice (like a certain user with the name of an ER doctor ;))
  • Options
    I try not to attempt to diagnose on here. Squinty, one of the old mods gave me some good advice about that (he was a surgeon). I do correct myths occasionally though!

As for medical students, we're not all bad - it's not easy being placed in a GP practice where we don't know where anything is or who does what! Most medics do genuinely want to help people but sometimes medical school can drain some of the enthusiasm and original motivation ;)

I'd be nice to you if I was at your practice - we had a good crack with the admin peeps at the surgery I was at last year.

Keep up the good work :)
  • Options

I'd be nice to you if I was at your practice - we had a good crack with the admin peeps at the surgery I was at last year.

You'd probably end up filing at our surgery as we're a single handed GP practice and we're constantly snowed under. Students usually end up doing really boring stuff, but the Dr here believes they should get a taste of life at the bottom of the pile, lol.