Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bannning fast foods ads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4013537.stm

talk about YET ANOTHER KNEE JERK REACTION....

like people know what foods arent good for them, and that lack of basic exercise, not exen sport exercise is the problem

Comments

• Options
    Adverts for junk food don't need to be banned. People will eat junk food regardless. Like you say, people already know the dangers of eating junk food to excess and they still do it. People know the dangers of speeding, drink driving, alcohol abuse, taking drugs, smoking etc etc and they still do it. I don't think the government should be held accountable for the stupidity of the masses, but they do need to be seen to be doing something, or there would be a thread saying 'government let nation get fatter'.

They can't really win. There is enough education out there about junk food and other 'dangers' but people choose to ignore it.
  • Options
    Adverts are just being banned in kids shows are they not?
  • Options
    They should tax fast food adverts and use the money to make safe sports and recreational facilities avaliable in all areas.

I agree that banning fast food adverts is no answer to the obesity problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzo
    Adverts are just being banned in kids shows are they not?

Even then though I think it is up to parents to tell their children 'no'. I was brought up watching kids TV and seeing things I wanted all the time. If my parents couldn't afford the latest amazing crying doll or to take me to McDonalds every day (not that they would have even if they could have afforded it!) then they said 'no'. I think some parents are too complacent.

I didn't eat junk food until I was about 13, by which time my mum couldn't really regulate what I ate when I was out with friends etc. Even now I'd much rather have a nice sunday roast with vegetables than a burger and fries from Burger King.
  • Options
    Ban smoking in public, ban fast food ads, ban fox hunting, ban smacking, ban drinking on the street, wonder what’s next.

Anyway I think anyone who thinks Walkers adverts or Cadburys ads or whatever are responsible for rising obesity is just using a few companies as scapegoats really. Maybe if learning how to cook in school was compulsory it would help a bit, then less people would eat ready-made straight out of a packet stick it in the microwave crap. Oh and if people weren't so lazy and did a bit of exercise that would help...
  • Options
    I think it's a great move.

Children are very manipulable and vulnerable. Fast food ads take advantage of that.

Remember that the majority of kids who insist on going to McShite do so because of the free toys.

If so many children weren't brainwashed and programmed, many parents would be able to take them somewhere where they'd be serve something resembling food (then again you could argue that parents should take kids to eat where the parents decide, not where the kids want, but that's another argument).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I think it's a great move.

Children are very manipulable and vulnerable. Fast food ads take advantage of that.

Remember that the majority of kids who insist on going to McShite do so because of the free toys.

If so many children weren't brainwashed and programmed, many parents would be able to take them somewhere where they'd be serve something resembling food (then again you could argue that parents should take kids to eat where the parents decide, not where the kids want, but that's another argument).

mosts kids will eat bad if allowed, its called NATURE... its a parents job to make sure theyre eating enough variety, it dont have to be perfect, but it shouldnt be terrible either

all government shuld do is make sure they aint using false advertising IMO

and as before the main cause obesity in the country is LACK OF EXERCISE, ready made meals and frozen foods cause they seem instantly cheaper, especially in supermarkets who extort customers in terms of fresh ingredients

i dont know anyone who goes mcdonalds more than once a week, other than fellow students, but we are students :p
  • Options
    manipulable
    A neologism? :D
    but that's another argument).
    Actually, it's the same argument. Who has control over what they eat: the parents or the child?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Ban smoking in public, ban fast food ads, ban fox hunting, ban smacking, ban drinking on the street, wonder what’s next.

Anyway I think anyone who thinks Walkers adverts or Cadburys ads or whatever are responsible for rising obesity is just using a few companies as scapegoats really. Maybe if learning how to cook in school was compulsory it would help a bit, then less people would eat ready-made straight out of a packet stick it in the microwave crap. Oh and if people weren't so lazy and did a bit of exercise that would help...

why people expects schools to teac this, yes there should be classes in school, did you hear of the school who had to rteach some kids how to use knives and forks cause parents had, this is where the problem lies
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Even now I'd much rather have a nice sunday roast with vegetables than a burger and fries from Burger King.

Hard to get one of those in town on a Satdi lunchtime though;)

It's a fine balance. Yes, parents should say no. But advertisers know how difficult this is: they admit, with a great deal of pride, that "pester power" is the best way of getting a product into a family home. And they mainpulate their audiences into being manipulative little shits in order to do this.

Given what happened in Supersize Me! the best way to stop fast food ads is to force-feed 27 Big Macs a day into any exec (and his family) who takes a fast food account onto his books.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Hard to get one of those in town on a Satdi lunchtime though;)

Too true, sadly.
  • Options
    all this banning of everything and anything is a reflection of how stupid the masses have become with this consumer lifestyle.
    whats wrong with fucking waiting till you get home to eat?
    when i was a kid there were a few chippies dotted about so all this choice and temptation didn't exist.
    plus we had to walf to school and ...actualy wanted to play out EVERY single day and night.
    staying in the house sat in a chair was unheard of.
    we have built moronsville.
  • Options
    Too true, sadly.

Though I have heard nice things about the Deli on Northumberland Street :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    plus we had to walf to school and ...actualy wanted to play out EVERY single day and night.

That's why kids are getting fat, it's not what they're puttin in their mouths it's what they're doing afterwards.

A Big Mac and chips isn't a problem if you go off and play footy all afternoon.

Though nowadays it's quite difficult to, safely at least- the nearest public playing fields to us are over a mile away, and even then I wouldn't want my kids playing on it, what with all the broken glass and crap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Though I have heard nice things about the Deli on Northumberland Street :yes:

:yes: It is delicious, try it next time you're in town!

Rolly is right too. Children don't do as much as they used to. A lot of parents are apathetic towards their children's health though. They'd rather they sat infront of the TV playing video games which requires little effort on their part than they were asking to be taken swimming and to the park, which requires the parents themselves to get off their arses and do something to entertain their kids.

Too many parents think it is someone elses responsibility to instill values in their children.

Of course, not all parents are like this, but the minority is to large.
  • Options
    I eat at McDonald's and I'm thin as hell. But I never got into sitting in front of a pc as a gamer all day either.
  • Options
    If so many children weren't brainwashed and programmed,
    Too many adults are brainwashed and programmed by leftist media and junk science that McDonalds are bad for health. Stupid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Too many adults are brainwashed and programmed by leftist media and junk science that McDonalds are bad for health. Stupid.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    A cheeseburger, a regular fries and a regular shake is 30g of fat, tell me that's not bad for you.

And it's not even nice and it's DEFINITELY not filling.

ETA: It IS possible to feed kids when you're in town without resorting to burgers!
  • Options
    I must be very lucky to have a Daughter who likes salads, dinners , fruit etc.
    She often walks past the fridge and will tuck into baby tomatoes rather than have a biscuits/sweets. We do go to Burger King sometimes and we do have fried meals at home but its not a daily thing. Id say we go to Burker King once a month ish and its classed as a treat.

Many kids become fussy eaters because all it takes is for Little Johnny to say "I dont like carrots" then the whole class hates carrots. So i tend to get Becks to help me prepare dinner then she thinks she has made it and enjoys it more and bigger bonus cos she then eats proper dinners.
  • Options
    theres nothing wrong with a parent using the fact theyre the ones who buy food etc saying NO to a kid, kids will just push you as far as they can, so you need to set boundaries, lazy parents in general these days is the problem, and fact noone wants their kid on the streets
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Or perhaps it is also the case that too many parents are too busy working to have time to teach their children that proper home cooked meals are better for you. With so many families having 2 working parents, more and more kids are brought up on ready meals now. Maccy D's is just an extension of that.

I don't find that a valid excuse. My parents both worked long hours when I was young, and we have never been well off. I always had at least one good square meal a day and rarely ate junk food. I know I use myself as an example a lot but I just can't see how if one set of parents can do it with a busy lifestyle that other parents can't too.

BeckyBoo seems to have an excellent approach! :)
  • Options

BeckyBoo seems to have an excellent approach! :)

Why thank you :D

It does work getting the kids to help though. I can say to Becks "can you mash the potato cos you get the lumps out and you know how much butter to put in" and she thinks she's made the mash so she eats it all.........yes im crafty like that ;)
  • Options
    If you have one parent at home, or at least working part time, then it's a sign of laziness to resort to fast food.

Though it isn't just burgers and chips that are bad- frozen roast tatties are really bad for you too, according to Which. As are frozen yorkshires, pre-prepared vegetables and fruit, frozen meat...

I'm sure both your parents did work long hours, BumbleBee, but that's hardly relevant. Processed food was not really around in the same quantity ten years ago, let alone fifteen or twenty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    A cheeseburger, a regular fries and a regular shake is 30g of fat, tell me that's not bad for you.

It's not though.

Not in itself- it's not good for you, but it is not intrinsically bad for you.

as with anything, it's how much you eat not what you eat. One Big Mac a month, or even one a week, isn't going to do you any harm.
  • Options
    Too many adults are brainwashed and programmed by leftist media and junk science that McDonalds are bad for health.

I agree with Lab Rat. Besides. Where can you go to hang out after school and just talk...or date if you can't drink yet. McDonald's is fun...and if you board or bike or something...it doesn't get you fat. Why is it the restaurant's fault if people don't exercise?
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen: meet the world's unhealthiest burger

:eek:
  • Options
    put it this way, if kids actually walked to school and spent some time after school outside, having maccydees once or twice a week wont make any difference, since the combination of them growing and doing exercise will outdo it easily

only COMPLETE laziness in a kid and shoddy dinners regulary can get them fat, says a lot bout their upbringing really

i was brought up on cheap but not ready made food, and hanged out a lot doing sod all, and i ate crap loads, was still verging on underweight, only these days is it even slightly catching up on me, but thats only from my student level of beer consumption, even still im quite fit :D