Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Winter makes me blue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This year now it's getting darker, and colder, I keep finding myself more miserable. The same happened last year, and one of my friends said it could be Seasonal Affective Disorder. Not that I'm worried about going crazy, or having these disorders, what's a good way to feel refreshed rather than miserable and tired and like you're making an effort to do anything.

In the summer I am always happy and full of energy (unless I'm genuinely exhausted) and I can sympathise with those who are truly lathargic a lot of the time for one reason or another. Showers, and the usual 'refreshing' techniques don't seem to work for me. I feel sleepy headed all the time if you get what I mean.

Anyway, if anyone can help at all it will be much appreciated.

Rich

Comments

• Options
    There's nothig unusual about feeling tired, run down and generally a bit moodier in the winter months - it's dark, cold and everything takes more energy. However, some people becopme genuinely crippled with depression at this time - it's quite hard to tell sometimes if you actually have SAD or just winter blues. Here are some links that might help you underatdn it all a bit better - and if you are still concerned I'd definitely go and have a chat to the doctor.

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Feeling SAD?

Health MOT for winter
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've had it diagnosed so I'll help if I can.
  • Options
    if you think it could be a problem, i'd advise seeing your doctor in order to get a diagnosis and a referral if necessary.

i don't suffer from it myself really but theres people on my site that do. you're more than welcome to visit if you like. (see link in my sig)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    There's nothig unusual about feeling tired, run down and generally a bit moodier in the winter months - it's dark, cold and everything takes more energy. However, some people becopme genuinely crippled with depression at this time - it's quite hard to tell sometimes if you actually have SAD or just winter blues. Here are some links that might help you underatdn it all a bit better - and if you are still concerned I'd definitely go and have a chat to the doctor.

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Feeling SAD?

Health MOT for winter

I don't think it's SAD probably, but just winter blues. However, I will take the advice for lethargy onboard, and hope that helps. Thanks :)
  • Options
    if you just generally feel shit, and lacking in energy, and like you wish summer would come, then it's probably just a normal part of winter.

short days = less serotonin (happy chemical) + less vitamin D produced by your body = feel crappy and ill lots.

but if it starts to affect your life then it might be SAD, and you should get help.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I get up and feel more tired than I did before I went to bed. Its crap :(
  • Options
    i'm normaly quite down, but last winter was really dark here and i got extra down. so a friend sent me a bottle of happy of S.A.D (shower gel from Lush) and it really did help.

wrap up warm. keep positive, and drink lots of warm drinks and eat warm hearty foods. start taking multi vits? and go for walks when you can. get exercise outside.

keep that chin up dude......you have such a lovely smile it would be a shame to see it disapper

:)
  • Options
    i dont think i suffer from sad, but i do get bad winter blues.
    i find my depression gets worse in winter, this is the second year in a row that college and work seem to get harder to bear as winter draws in.
    It is a stuggle but you get through. i have nearly dropped out of college four times in the last 2 years because of it, alothough i am a high grade student.

all i can say it, just remember summer will soon return. Keep warm, and keep the ones you love close to you. They are the ones that will get you through
  • Options
    If you suffer from winter sadness it might be worth investing in one of those daylight light bulbs.
  • Options
    if you just generally feel shit, and lacking in energy, and like you wish summer would come, then it's probably just a normal part of winter.

short days = less serotonin (happy chemical) + less vitamin D produced by your body = feel crappy and ill lots.

but if it starts to affect your life then it might be SAD, and you should get help.QUOTE]

if its blues and is not seriously affecting you ability to function, maybe some extra excercise would help, it can boost your levels of serotonin and dopamine.

(serotonin isnt exactly a 'happy chemical', nor dopamine. They both affect mood but it is not yet fully understood how this is so. What can be defined is the idea that depletion of both or either in the brain has been found in those with more depressive mental states. So exercise can help increase production of both and so there is a good chance you may feel better.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    (serotonin isnt exactly a 'happy chemical', nor dopamine. They both affect mood but it is not yet fully understood how this is so. What can be defined is the idea that depletion of both or either in the brain has been found in those with more depressive mental states. [/B]

maybe i'm oversimplifying things, but in my book if a lack of something makes you unhappy, then that's a happy thing.
  • Options
    maybe i'm oversimplifying things, but in my book if a lack of something makes you unhappy, then that's a happy thing.

no no, i wasnt picking holes, in the context of what you wrote it was (on present evidence) correct. Just that some people take that information and apply it to other less applicable situations is all :)