Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

genuinely interested in your depression.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i just think we take survival for granted. we forget that it's a priviledge to even be here, and get hung up on the little things.

if we were living in a time when survival was something we had to fight for, i don't think we'd be so quick to throw it away.

I kinda agree...

But on the side of psychology... Perhaps society is evolving faster than our brains are. For example, we'd be put in fight or flight (y'know... stressed) when we were primative man if wewere being chased by a sabretooth tiger... Perhaps on the hunt, perhaps in battle. Our instincts existed to serve the human race as spear chuckers, not as business men.

And these days from the age of eleven you're under stress from exams... You enter high school and there's peer pressure, sexuality issues and the need to do well... Then you leave school and need a job, or college... more reasons to succeed... a lot of stressors. Traffic, dangerous streets... always stress (depending maybe on your attitude or personality type) and then eventually your brain goes 'bollocks to this' and shuts down.

Maybe we're encouraged to aim too high and aren't reaching self-actualisation...

Or maybe we're overcrowded as a species.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i read that depression is reaching epidemic proportions ...why?
    is it something to do with our modern world, consumerism ...environment ...upbringing ...family or lack of ...divorce being so easy and 'normal' these days ...educational pressures ... lack of self worth ...lack of vision or hope etc etc?
    A very interesting topic, Rolly. I would say that depression isn't really reaching epidemic levels, though it does seem to be more prevalent. Perhaps it is because of the more emotionally open environment we live in these days. However, this does not explain everything. I believe that stability is essential in a person's life, especially when they are children. The breakdown of the family unit, and the way that government after government have attempted to undermine the family has been immensely damaging.
  • Options
    There are many factors, but i think the media is a big reason.

The media sets up these unrealistic ideals, look this way, have this job, be this person, and people can't meet this. Ideals have been around since the dawn of time, so many things have expectations of us, parents, friends, church society, but never before has one institution been able to infiltrate so many except for the church, but even then it wasn't everywhere you looked, whereas the media is, on the streets, internet, tele, magazines.

Obviously the breaking of the family unit, not good, and the isolation are in this society, something like 15% live alone, it's awful, no-one wants this, we need to talk, we need each other.....
  • Options
    haven't read this thread or many other threads on depression so this quesiton might have been answered, i know that depression is an illness and i know if there's a history in the family you may be more prone to it than others but does a person bring depression onto themselves, i just can't see how anyone can get depressed and i generally despise depressed people, i haven't had a good life, my dads an alcoholic and i've had loads of shit happen to me that i don't like talking about but i've never been happier, i value life so much, how can you be dpressed, ican't see it.
  • Options
    i agree with what everyones said. so much pressure is put on us now in such different ways than how it used to be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    i agree with what everyones said. so much pressure is put on us now in such different ways than how it used to be.

we're all running around like headless chickens for some invisible aim that everyone thinks they need to achieve, calm the fuck down everyone, smoke a joint or something, take life as it comes and never get too stressed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    calm the fuck down everyone...take life as it comes and never get too stressed.

Yeah, thanks for those words of wisdom.

Next time, don't say owt, yeah?
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    There are many factors, but i think the media is a big reason.

I think blaming the media is a bit obvious and a bit lazy, to be honest. Eating disorders, for instance, are not about the weight at all- they are about control, and about guilt. Both feeling guilty in yourself, and wanting to make others feel guilty.

Images of stick thin models don't help, but I don't think they are a root cause in depression. I think created ideals of 2.4 children and a nice house in the country are more of a problem, but, then again, that's all anybody has ever aimed for.
  • Options
    I don't know much about causes or statistics about if it is on the increase etc. I just know how it affects me. And that it sucks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Yeah, thanks for those words of wisdom.

Next time, don't say owt, yeah?

In all honesty I dont think he meant that in a nasty way.....I could be wrong though.......but im normally right every time :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    In all honesty I dont think he meant that in a nasty way

I think you're confusing me with someone who cares.
  • Options
    i find all the replies interesting and turloughs is valid as well. valid cos it shows clearly how difficult it is for those of us who don't suffer from depression to understand why so many do.
    i lean toward moonrats words.
    we seem to have built a fantastic world that is pretty alien to the human spirit.
    it has been built so fast. 2.3 children and a nice house haven't always been the goal in life. for most people staying alive and safe ...looking after their offspring ...working physicaly hard toward that goal has been the lot of most humans. apart of course from the elite who could sit back in their comfort and ...suffer gout ...headaches ...mood swings and ...depression.
    we seem to have built a pointless world. a world that serves something other than those who inhabit it. it's as if we are all chasing the wind.
    i answered the call to turn on tune in and drop out ...i do believe it kept me sane in a mad world.
    obviously not everyone can do that.
    the world we have built seems to have taken the fun and joy out of living.
    there is nothing special anymore. there is nothing much to look forward to.
    even the seasonal no longer exists. tomatoes all yrear round. it may sound silly but when spring started to aproach we would look forward to tomatoes and salads ...you can have that 365 days a year now. it used to be a case of there being a time and a season ...not any longer ...we have built the bland with our over stocked over available glut of everything from food to entertainment.
    there is nothing special anymore.
  • Options
    I think blaming the media is a bit obvious and a bit lazy, to be honest. Eating disorders, for instance, are not about the weight at all- they are about control, and about guilt. Both feeling guilty in yourself, and wanting to make others feel guilty.

But isn't the truth always obvious? 'Time is a great healer,' 'Opposites attract' all fucking annoying cliches, but we know they are so true, that's why we state them time and time again when the circumstances fit them.

I just think media has marketed happiness, and it's something that can't be bought (again another cliches), i think it's been stolen it from us sometimes, we are searching for it in the wrong place because of it.

And your comment about anorexia, yes it's about control, not the weight really, that is why i think the media is so dangerous, because it appears to have that control that we want, so much more now with air-brushing etc. they can control things which we can't in real life, and they manipulate that, and seduce us. They also create lacks, to make their money, with the things they offer to fill the lack. You can never seduce a happy person, it's profitable for us to be unhappy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger

You can never seduce a happy person, it's profitable for us to be unhappy.
    i like that!
  • Options
    *gone&*
  • Options
    agreed
  • Options
    Family drastically changed and keeps changing, not being born in my own idealized persona, the greed and hypocricy of the people around me, mainly my peers.

Lack of self-worth is obvious. Empathy is also another issue, moreover, pure empathy to all or most of human-kind. Hard to explain.

Depression is not the biggest thing to worry about. It's not a damned terminal illness or anything. People tend to overreact.

I deal with it by myself. I don't nessisarily think I'm depressed, 'course I'm no doctor, but I believe I have a different view on the world than the majority of people do. Of course, so does everyone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    No I don' t think its on the rise, I think its just easier to be diagnosed with it.

that's definitely true.

my cousin was feeling low, and went to her GP for help. 5 minutes later walked out with a prescription for ADs, and his opinion that she was depressed.

he hadn't even asked if she had anything going on in her life that she was finding had to deal with. if he had, he would know that she was going through a traumatic break-up, and had just found out her mother had terminal cancer. she wasn't depressed at all - she was reacting normally to her world falling apart.
  • Options
    I agree with several points, mainly kaffrins admittedly. I think depression is always prevelant in people who have too much time to analyse/think about feelings and situations. When you're round friends, busy with something, basically doing something that engages your brain, depression always takes a back seat. The only times i find myself low are when i'm on my own left stewing about something. Okay chillout time on your own is good, but on a whole i like being busy. I like engaging my brain and my main low points are always when life is boring/staid and i feel like i should be doing something better with my life.

I think it comes from going to a school where grades and etiquette were the name of the game. I was an a/b student but made to feel thick because i got b's and not a's all the time. Unfortunately the teaching methods didn't help as not picking up things straight away in class was seen as thick and bad. I think it made me grow up thinking that to be thought of as a proper person i had to have a great career or stunning materialistic belongings. It's only now i'm learning that i'm not thick but fairly intelligent, it just takes me a normal amount of time to pick things up. In short i suppose you could say i've always felt so bloody useless at things :)
  • Options
    Well....i don't know if im depressed, but there has been major changes in how I deal with things. I have been crying a lot, which never used to happen and just feeling generally down. I am a person who worries and looks into everything, finding deeper meaning into things and I think it may have something to do with it. Also the pill.

But I don't know. Some days im as happy as a butterfly, other times I feel shit and worthless. I havn't been bullied or anything but had a nutty ex who pushed my self esteem down. Having said that it may be just hormones.

Who knows!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    This is an extremely interesting thread ...

There is alot of teen angst around at the moment, aided by groups like Marilyn Manson. However, just now it seems to be "cool" to be depressed and just the in thing to go and cut yourself to shreds. However, IMHO, this is not proper depression. Depression is deeper than that. An "epidemic" is happening because more and more people aren't able to tell the difference between teen angst and depression and it isn't helped when alot of doctors either shy away from mental health issues or just diagnose ADs when someone comes into their surgery saying that they are "feeling down" or whatever.

For me, accepting I was depressed took an awful lot. I didn't want to be depressed and I refused to be prescribed anything until I had been to counselling and tried other methods to try and get me out of the hole I thought I was in. However, the crux came for me when I realised that I actually had nothing to be sad about but still felt extremely low and talking to my counsellor he advised me to seek medical help for depression.

My depression stemmed from alot of various things, low self confidence, extreme shyness and years of being bullied at school.

Most of what has been said on here, by Kermit and Kaffrin in particular, is spot on. It's attitudes like Turlough's that really pisses me off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chan-chan
    Well....i don't know if im depressed,

then surely the odds are you aint?
  • Options
    The whole problem is that the definition of "depression" is very vague and can be taken to mean all kinds of things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    The whole problem is that the definition of "depression" is very vague and can be taken to mean all kinds of things.

Taxi for Mr. Obvious.
  • Options
    Taxi for Mr. Obvious.
    If that's your attitude, then I feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    If that's your attitude, then I feel sorry for you.

:lol: He does NOT need your sympathy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    :lol: He does NOT need your sympathy.
    And was I talking to you? Trust you to want to have your say on everything.
  • Options
    And was I talking to you? Trust you to want to have your say on everything.

:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    :lol:
    Mockery IS truly the greatest form of flattery.
  • Options
    Taxi for Mr. Obvious.
    bitchslapped.gif