Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Microgyn and antibiotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dentist has prescribed me some antibiotics and on the leaflet it says it may affect some oral contraceptives. i checked my microgyn leaflet and it says that i should carry on taking the pill during the course of the anti biotics, and for seven days afterwards too, and if my packet runs out before then, i should just carry onto the next packet without a break. i dont want to do this, so will it affect the contraceptive effect of it if i have the 7 day break instead of carrying onto the next pack?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Best thing to do is ring your doctors and tell them which tablets it is and they'll tell you whether it's okay to have the break. I'd guess that if you have the break it makes your pill ineffective but it's a long time since i've taken microgynon.
  • Options
    Don't go to your doctors to ask about medicine, go to your local dispensing pharmacy, or ring NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. There's no need clogging your doctor's up when your pharmacist is more qualified to give the advice. And you don't need an appointment to speak with a dispensing phramacist.

The biggest advice would be to do what the friggin leaflet tells you to do, though. Or maybe that's just dense of me.
  • Options
    Re: Microgyn and antibiotics
    Originally posted by vicki_pollard
    will it affect the contraceptive effect of it if i have the 7 day break instead of carrying onto the next pack?

yes. which is why they tell you to run 2 packets together.

although i wouldn't be having sex without a condom anyway if you're on antibiotics. i have a nephew because of that.
  • Options
    i dont want to do this
    Why not?

The antibiotics will alter the amount of pill you absorb, so you should be using another form of contraception like kaffrin says.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Don't go to your doctors to ask about medicine, go to your local dispensing pharmacy, or ring NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. There's no need clogging your doctor's up when your pharmacist is more qualified to give the advice. And you don't need an appointment to speak with a dispensing phramacist.

The biggest advice would be to do what the friggin leaflet tells you to do, though. Or maybe that's just dense of me.

God I love you sometimes! :p :thumb:
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    The best thing for you to do is to ask your doctor or phramacy - but I'm on the same pill and i've always been told to continue a second pack if I cannot take a pill throughout those 7 days. It won't harm you just means your cycle is a week behind but a plus is no period.
    No, David was right, don't bother your doctor with this sort of nonsense. Ring the helpline number given on the information leaflet in your pill packet or just follow the advice you're given! You've been told what to do so you need to follow those instructions in order to be protected.
  • Options
    i dont want to do this, so will it affect the contraceptive effect of it if i have the 7 day break instead of carrying onto the next pack?:confused:

Of course it will. What, do you think they just told you to run into the next pack just for fun?! The advice is there for a reason. You need to use condoms while you're taking the antibiotics AND for 7 days afterwards AND continue straight into the pack without a break. Why would you risk fucking up your contraception when it's been explicitly stated that you need to take all these precautions?
  • Options
    Run it together! I was on anti biotics and on microgynon, and i got pregnant. Dont risk it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    The leaflet just will say to use extra precautions during the time on the antibiotics and during the 7 days after. It will not answer the question she's asked.

But she even said in her post that it DID answer the question she's asked. She just doesn't want to do what it advised her to do.